Knit or Crochet or Cross Stitch or... ~ FSU's Crafting Circle

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 28, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It certainly is!
  2. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Jodi, that is gorgeous!!!!
  3. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Jodi, that looks amazing!
  4. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

Thanks, everyone :) I was even more pleased when I tried it on, because of the shape it drapes beautifully and does look very vintage. And when the sun came out it caught the slight sparkle in the yarn :) Maybe one day I'll get a photo of it on, too, but I don't have anyone around to take one at the moment. And if I also want sunshine I could be waiting a very long time :p
  5. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

Ah, I have managed a photo of the shawl as worn after all, my dad was around so I got him to take one. You still can't see the sparkle, this was just before it started raining :p but it is a much better representation of the colours :)

I'm currently working on a charity baby blanket and next I have yarn on its way for yet more socks. The colourways are called Halloween and Blackcurrant Liquorice, can you tell I knit for a goth? :lol: I've decided I do in fact need to be knitting more socks for myself, too, though. I always liked short ankle socks, I only knitted the legs to 3-4 inches on most of my pairs. I gradually got to like longer ones and so my more recent pairs have legs of 5-6 inches, but there are far fewer of those. And now I have some lovely purple DMs that I can fit hand-knitted socks in so I shall have nice warm, dry feet this winter :cheer: but they're tall enough to need the socks with the longer legs. So I legitimately need to knit more of them. Bonus :D
  6. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Jodi, that really is gorgeous. The color is a knockout.
  7. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

It's gorgeous Jodi! You will be the envy of all whenever you wear it I'm sure.
  8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Jodi, that is beyond gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing it w/us!!
  9. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I found some phentex and am going to attempt to make these slippers. My grandma used to always make them and they were the absolute best slippers ever. Anyone have any tips for knitting with phentex?
  10. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Do you hold your crochet hook like a pencil or a knife?

Do you knit English style of Continental?
  11. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Pencil.

I don't knit.
  12. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

oh my, that picture takes me back - I had phentex in those exact colours to make slippers eons ago. I absolutely hated working with it - it literally hurt my fingers. When the slippers were made I hated the feel of them too so it was a total waste of time and money.
  13. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Oh dear, what have I got myself into...
  14. AragornElessar

I hold my hooks like I do my knife, but the person who taught me told me as long as my tension was right and whatever I'm crocheting looked the way it should, then it really doesn't matter. Same w/knitting.

I have no idea what the difference is between English and Continental, but considering just how long it took me to finally learn how to knit, it doesn't really matter to me, as I'm sticking w/what I've finally learned how to do and do well. Believe me, it finally took the wonderful invention of YouTube for me to finally learn how to knit.

When it comes to things like knitting or crocheting or anything like that, I need to see how it's done for me to get it. The people who tried to teach me in the past, after they'd do that, would then take my needles out of my hands and.... Not only was it beyond frustrating, but it also ended any desire on my part to learn how to want to knit.

So, as I said, thanks to the wonderful people over at YouTube who put up Knitting Instructional videos over there is basically how I learned to knit.

Speaking of Knitting...I printed out a pattern from over at CraftFaves that is a Toque, Mittens, Scarf and Socks set w/a pretty intricate Cable pattern on it. Now I've been thinking the last couple of years that I'd gotten to a point in my knitting where it was time to try doing the Cable stitch, but wasn't quite sure I was at that point where I really *was* ready to give it a go. After I knitted my very first Baby Sweater for the NICU in the Spring and it turned out the way it should, I decided now was the time to go for it.

I only had enough yarn for the Toque and Mittens, but not only did they turn out, but they look *exactly* like the picture.

Yay me!!! :D :D :D
  15. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Aw, I had a brush with greatness. One of my necklaces was in a treasury that Etsy featured on its front page at noon ... but my item was NOT featured on the front page! :( Etsy features only 12 of the 16 items in the treasury. A little excited because I got a lot of people "favoriting" , but a little bummed as well, as it rather feels like Etsy looked and decided they didn't like my necklace.
  16. AragornElessar

It's a great step though vesperholly and a whole lot of new people got to see your stuff. That can only help in the long run. Congratulations on getting picked!! :)
  17. AragornElessar

Okay Guys, we've all seen the beyond belief images from the States hit by Superstorm Sandy. Now is the time to get those knitting needles and/or crocheting hooks out and busy.

Things we can make and donate...

Toques and mittens sets
    Socks
    Gloves
    Bags for those who need them to hold whatever they were able to salvage and/or have been given by the Red Cross/etc
    Teddy Bears or other Friends for not only the little ones, but whomever could use a friend right now.

Obviously contacting the Red Cross or local churches/your Minister or Priest to find out what's needed the most is a given, but we can help those people by using our crafting gifts.

Let's get to it!!
  18. AragornElessar

Long overdue bump for the thread. What has everyone been up to? I've been knitting gloves lately, but took a break this past week thanks to a stupid tooth acting up. It was driving me to the point of distraction I wasn't sure I'd done the right number of stitches and rows even after writing them down. It's finally easing off a bit, so hopefully I can finish the pair I started a couple of weeks ago.

I found this over at YouTube a few minutes ago and I know I'm not the only one here who enjoys trying her hand at jewelry making, so thought I'd share this here. It *looks* fairly easy to make, but we all know how *that* can go too.

YouTube ~ How To Make Beaded Spiral Earrings - Craft Tutorial 11 (Burton Snake Things)

I need to do some surfing through her channel and see what else she's got up over there. Anyway, saw that and thought it looked pretty neat. I'd love to give it a shot, but all of my beads are bigger than the ones she's using, so I'd have to make a trip to the Craft Store at some point. Which could be a dangerous trip for my wallet, but... :D
  19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I'm working on a blanket right now, nothing special.
    I would like to take a Tunisian crochet class this year and branch out on my crafting styles!
  20. timing

timing fragrance free

I'm knitting socks. This is my first time knitting socks so I was happy the heel worked out for the first one.

Next mini-timing and I are going to attempt to weave dish towels. It will be our first weaving project.
  21. AragornElessar

That's another thing I'd love to give a whirl one of these days. It looks so pretty in the various magazines when they feature a Tunisian Crochet project in. One of these days...

YAY and Congratulations!!! The first time doing a turned heel is the toughest. Next time you'll be amazed at how easy it is to do. :)

Good luck w/the dish towels!!
  22. vesperholly

Working on more stock for my Etsy shop for Valentine's Day and spring/Easter. I really need to get going on more wood bead necklaces.

I just had my 150th sale and 200th shop "like" :cheer2:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/paragraphloop
  23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

vesperholly, that is really nice work. Like the shop name too :lol:
  24. AragornElessar

Congratulations vesperholly!!! How were your Christmas sales?
  25. vesperholly

Great! I was making daily sales and sometimes 3-5 sales a day. It picked up around Thanksgiving and continued right through the end of the year. January has been pretty strong, though of course less so compared to December.

I received a message from a writer doing an article about local Etsy sellers for a local arts magazine (coincidentally, one I interned at during college). She asked for hi-res pictures for possible inclusion in their March issue, so that'll be exciting if I'm featured! :)
  26. AragornElessar

Excellent news all around then. I'm guessing people are buying for Valentine's now, as it would make sense to allow time for shipping and whatnot. That would be amazing promotion for you if you do end up being part of the feature story. :)
  27. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

28. myhoneyhoney

29. AragornElessar

30. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

31. AragornElessar

That is....Different is all I can think of.
  32. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Argh, went to Urban Yarns today, which has the most beautiful selection of HandMaiden wools, silks, and silk/wool blends, all hand-dyed in Canada, and my stash just got little bigger. All because I took the wrong bus, and they were just five blocks off the bus route...
  33. AragornElessar

...and the siren call was too loud to ignore? ;) :D

Been there, done that myself. "Oh, I'm *only* looking and then suddenly you wonder how on earth you're leaving w/such a huge bag of yarn.
  34. AragornElessar

I stumbled across this last night while looking up something else about Jewelry making over at YouTube, and since I really like the way this lady does her Tutorials over there, decided to check it out. I'm really glad I did too, as it looks pretty easy to do...

Famous last words. ;) :D

Hugs and Kisses Bracelet Beading Tutorial

The nice thing about this one for me, is I can use some of what she did w/the "Foundation" of the bracelet and the big and little beads, I can play around a bit w/both beads/stones and wire, and it would work for a Tiara design. At least, I *think* I can. Won't know for sure until I give it a shot, but that might be awhile.

I hate running out of beads and wire and not being anywhere close to a Michael's or Dollar Store. At least w/Yarn and Crocheting/Knitting stuff, that's easy to find around here, but anything else in Crafting? Not a chance!!

Anyway...I thought there might be some of us on here who might want to try this.
  35. myhoneyhoney

Finished the headwrap and I'm happy with the way it turned out. Now I need to get seriously cracking on knitting a baby blanket. I completely forgot about it and the baby shower is Feb. 16!!! The baby's not due until March though so if needed, I'll plunk myself down at the shower and keep knitting away, lol. yikes.
  36. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The baby will be in process still at the shower. I don't see any readon why the blanket shouldn't ;)
  37. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I make jewelry, though I don't have much experience with bead weaving. But the bracelet is cute and I'll give it a go.
    I posted about this in the "relaxation" thread - one of the coolest things about making jewlery is you can make a fabulous piece for a fraction of what you'd pay in a store. I'm picturing that bracelet with Swarovski crystals and pearls, and it won't cost more than $15, even with a sterling clasp on it. And if I use glass beads it will be around $5. :HA!:

We have tons of bead shops in NYC, but I order from Fusion Beads sometimes. The "inspiration projects" section is great for new ideas.
    http://www.fusionbeads.com/
  38. AragornElessar

Thanks for that link Marg. Have got it bookmarked for future use. Went through some of their "Inspiration Projects" and also tutorials and really liked what I saw. Easy to follow instructions and pictures to go along is exactly what I like in a crafting website. :)

Thanks again!!
  39. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

40. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Too frickin' funny!