Knit or Crochet or Cross Stitch or... ~ FSU's Crafting Circle

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Not really. Crochet is more flexible since you're only working with one loop at a time. Knitting has a lot of active loops, and requires good planning ahead, as well as keeping track of the loops so they don't slip off the needles. Crocheting uses a hook, so it's harder to lose your one loop. :lol:

I know a bunch of people who can crochet but haven't learned to knit. I learned crochet first but now prefer knitting. At the very least, crocheting is easier to learn because you only have one loop and all.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Gorgeous!

My grandmother used to crochet little things using a small needle and un-dyed cotton yarn as a nervous habit, but she didn't (couldn't, really) teach me either.

I find the two very different. I think knitting is easier for me, because while there are places where stitches are picked up from the edge -- entrelac uses this all a lot -- much like in crocheting, they are relatively rare, and although you can "make" (increase) a stitch from in between stitches you've already knitted, most of the increases and decreases are done on the needle and are easy to follow. I can never track where I'm supposed to pick up stitches in crocheting, and my rare attempts end up with silly shapes.

There are so many instructional videos on YouTube that if I want to see something demonstrated, I just poke around until I find one. I learned to do brioche knitting from a woman from Germany (her English versions) via YouTube.

For ideas, the Ravelry site is a great one. You can browse or search patterns for knitting and crocheting, and advanced search will filter them by whether they are free, knit vs. crochet, type, photo, size, yarn weight, etc.

Lace knitting, which is I think what you're thinking of, looks intimidating, but most of it is actually easy. The great thing about knitting and crocheting is that it's so slow, one stitch at a time, unlike sewing, where you can step on the pedal and suddenly a sleeve is attached to a dress hem. Here are some examples:
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/estonian-lace-scarf-2
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lace-scarf-7
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lace-lux-scarf-variation-lana-grossa

This is a very simple scarf that doesn't quite look like lace, but uses lace techniques:
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/drop-stitch-scarf-2

The "holes" are made by yarn-overs (YO), which is just wrapping the yarn around the working/right needle once, and then dropping it off the needle on the way back.

The trick to knitting lace is to follow the pattern. It's easy to look up anything that you'd find in a pattern on the internet, and chances are 99.99% you'll find at least a handful of videos to demonstrate.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This is my "bible" for lace patterns:
    http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Scribner-Library-Emblem-Editions/dp/068412503X/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I use them as inspiration for making shawls, sweaters, afghans, etc.
    Ms, Walker started a renewed interest in/craze for knitting in the 1960's and 1970's when she modernized many techniques for doing complex patterns in all types of knitting.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

5. skatesindreams

6. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Check out the Winter section of Bev's site. That's where the non Baby Sweater patterns are.

You know what FSU needs? A jaw dropping smilie for times just like this. That is *gorgeous*!!

I made some of those for Christmas presents last year. They look so hard, but are really incredably easy to do. You're actually knitting or crocheting w/a skein of lace, not yarn and you make your stitches in the spaces of the "ladder" border of the top of the lace. That's what creates that ruffled look to the scarfs.

I actually found those easier to make than the scarves I made w/Red Heart's Pom Pom yarn. Once I got the hang of it, I was fine, but getting the blasted things started? :mad:

Thanks and I finished the knitting of the sweater last night. Now I have to sew up the sleeves and then sew them to the armholes, darn in the various tails and then sew on the buttons and the sweater's done!! I did start the hat last night and have two more go rounds of the pattern before I start knitting the crown of it. After that comes the booties.

It really is such a pretty pattern and I really like how it's turned out so far. :)

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Now I know what you and Holley are talking about! On my way to Ottawa after GPF last year, I sat next to a woman who was knitting one of those. I looked at the skein of yarn, and thought, :confused:, but then I watched her at it not only looked easy to make, but it was beautiful.

8. Anita18

Oh, I forgot my first pair of socks! I don't foresee myself making a whole lot of socks in the future, since they usually take a beating, but this pair we sent over to France to my friend battling cancer. My bf put it on to test the size, since he has the same size feet. and he LOVED how the yarn felt, so I might be making one more pair with the same kind of yarn for him. :lol:

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Oh, cozy!

10. Anita18

Oh yes, another note about knitting - the size of your project directly correlates to the length of your needles, because they have to hold the entire active row. Knitting an adult-size blanket is quite a feat, unless you have several sets of interchangeable circular needles and have connected all of the cords together. You also have to hold the weight of the project either in your hands (straight needles) or on your lap (circular needles). Which is probably why you see mostly crocheted afghans instead of knitted ones. :lol:

I decided not to burden myself without making sure I had the right size of circular needles for a project - I splurged on Denise Interchangeable Needles and never looked back. :lol: It's really great being able to switch cord lengths in the middle of a project and not curse about having circular needles that turned out to be too short. :lol: (For one, I couldn't have done this crazy baby blanket project with anything else! 19" and 12" cords connected!)

I even knit straight patterns with it, since the circular setup means you aren't holding the weight of the project on your wrists. I think I still prefer knitting because there's more to hold on to. The beginning of a crochet project makes my hands sore because there's barely anything to hold, whereas in knitting you always have the two needles at the very least.

Just adding another thing to the crochet vs knitting debate. :)

11. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Thank you, Cruisin... blush... and yup, 4 kiddies. Hubby and I were about 23 when our oldest was born 13 years ago. Our "baby" is 7.

As for knitting and crochet, I do both. I learned to crochet as a little girl and didn't learn to knit until about 6-7 years ago when I finally got over my fear of using TWO needles. :lol: Silly I know. I like both and sometimes use both on a single project. I encourage anyone wanting to learn knitting to browse youtube and knittinghelp.com. This is how I learned to knit first using the english style and now I knit purely continental style.

12. AragornElessar

So I pop over to Red Heart's site to find a link to share here to that lace to make those scarves and this was on the front page of their Freebie Patterns page. My fellow Crocheters, don't lynch me for this, as I now have *another* new pattern in my stash.

It's too freaking adorable to not want to make.

Red Heart Yarns ~ Beach Bear Rita

Just finished knitting the hat of that set and discovered I don't have the right size of needles for the booties. So this one set will have to be sans booties I'm afraid.

edited to add...Ah HA!! Finally found the instructions for that scarf!!

Red Heart Yarn ~ Flirty Knit Scarf Knitting Pattern

And the lace ribbon yarn used...

Red Heart Yarn Boutique Sashay

BTW...The one I made myself, I used the one called Salsa, as the Cinnamon/Brick reds *really* look good on me. Mom OTOH, picked out for herself the one called Ballet. It would have been one thing if it had been all pinks, but that grey in w/it to me just looks jarring. It was the one she wanted though, so what else could I do but knit the thing, right?

If you go past the part where they show all of the colour combinations this comes in, there are both Knitting and Crocheting instructions YouTube videos for this yarn.

Anyway, there's where I learned how to knit these scarves. What would we do w/out YouTube when it comes to how to knit and/or crochet, I don't want to think about it. :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  13. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I find crocheting to be very easy, but I learned from my grandmother, when I was 6.

The sashay crocheted scarf looks fairly easy, just hard to hold onto. Because it gets bulky. It's like peyote stitch (beading), very hard to get it started,but once you get past the first two rows, it falls into place.

14. myhoneyhoney

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  15. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

Right now I'm cross-stitching a piece for my niece's christening. I chose a sepia-coloured pattern. Here is is:

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/Ten-Tiny-Toes__VER-2002-bslsh-45-prd-224.aspx

It had been a few years since I'd done cross-stitch, but I'm dismayed at how much my mid-forties eyes have deteriorated. If I want to continue to stitch, I'll have to get one of those magnifying stands.

Another project I have on hold, but I'm hoping to resurrect soon, is a bunka punch. I purchased it in Australia more than ten years ago, and did some work on it. I'd like to finish it soon.

Here's a link to the pattern I'm working on:

http://www.klema.com.au/austcart/a401.jpg

16. cruisin

^^ Beautiful. I used to do counted cross stitch when I was working in NYC. I had a long commute and it was something to do on the train. I haven't done it since I stopped working in NY. I should go back to it.

I don't have photos, but I made my Godchild's Christening gown (the very long kind). It had a full length slip with embroidered lace at the bottom. Then the dress had a scalloped hem to let the lace peek through. Then I did a scalloped collar that had shadow embroidery on it. Shadow embroidery is when you use sheer, white fabric and sandwich colored fabric between it and then embroider around the shapes. I used white organza and pale pink shapes. It was so pretty. I made a traditional cap too. I wish I did have photos.

17. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I'm sure the parents would have photos somewhere. The gown sounds lovely.

BTW I don't know how you managed to focus on cross stitch on a train :)

18. cruisin

They can't find them. The parents are divorced and lots of things are "missing".

I was in my 20s. I couldn't do it now :lol:

19. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Aw cute :)

Ah. That's a shame.

:D

20. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

Aragorn, rarely have I ever whipped out my credit card so quickly. Five minutes after I go to the red Heart website, I've bought 9 (9!!) balls of yarn. OTOH, those make for inexpensive Christmas gifts.

Thanks for sharing. But now will you send a note to my husband to explain why I HAD to have that yarn? :p

21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I would love to see this. I made a pillow for my Goddaughter (I was actually her fairy godmother since I wasn't Russian Orthodox, but I loved her just the same..) It was peach satin and I embroidered violets on it because her name was Anna, which I was told was a nickname for violets in Russian. "Little Anna's Bright Eyes." I know it was appreciated, but by the time she was 13 it was sitting in the closet on a shelf...:lol:

22. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I have crafting in my blood. Sewing's my earliest one - I was improvising my own hand-sewn doll clothes in elementary school, and had my own sewing machine and was making my own dresses by junior high. Those were the golden days of home sewing! Yes, so many fabric shops (not to mention the days of a fabric department in most department stores) have bit the dust. I adore looking at the vintage pattern wiki site. Sewing may be ripe for an eventual comeback, as knitting, and to a lesser degree, crocheting, have had.

I learned to knit and crochet in my teens but didn't go too far with it. I did a good deal of macrame back then, but mostly was a sewer. Now that my aunts who knitted and crocheted a lot have passed on, and I inherited some of their needles and hooks, and some also from my Norwegian grandmother, I've gotten more serious about using them. First I did mostly crocheted hats and scarves. Now I'm chair of a prayer shawl group at my church. I alternate between knitting and crocheting. I like crochet better because it works up faster and you can't drop stitches!

For those who want to learn, I think the best books are Stitch 'n Bitch Nation and The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. Try your local library if you are hesitant about investing in a book.

Right now I have a few things going at once for myself, the most ambitious of which is this: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pattern.php?id=1186&lang=us
    I totally love circular needles and the Norwegian (continental) knit stitch now! I'm treading slowly into the scary waters of stranded patterns and steeks! Originally I had hoped to finish this jacket for a cruise DH and I will be taking along the coast of Norway, but now I think I'll be doing a lot of work on it during the cruise. Guess I am drawn by the spirits of my grandmother and aunts to all this!

23. cruisin

^^ That is ambitious! And fabulous! I hope we will get to see it when you're done with it.

24. AragornElessar

LOL!! I'll do it as long as you send one to my Mom to explain to her why there's going to be at least six skeins of all purpose yarn that'll be coming into this house after my Monthly Blood Work visit later this week. Interweave Crochet had the pattern for a double breasted cloak w/collar in last Summer's issue and I've been dying to give it a go.

All I need to do now is decide on which colour to do it in. :)

Oh and I finally have a picture of my almost one month old Great Nephew Parker's Mile A Minute afghan that I made him. My Sister and Brother In Law were here yesterday and she dropped off the album that she and my Niece Lisa made up for us. There were two pictures of the afghan in it, one for the album and one for me, and I was going to scan it today, but time got away on me.

Oh, did I mention Parker's wrapped up in it? Not that I'm sharing the picture for that reason. The main thing is to show off the afghan after all.

;)

One thing that's driving me bonkers though? The multicoloured yarn I used for the inner strip and the border around the entire thing, looks so pale. Especially against the white I used for the contrast. Now this blankie was crocheted, but I still have about two skeins and a small ball left over from the last skein used on it, left of it. So I've been using that small leftover ball to make up Preemie hats using a pattern I found over at Bev's Country Cottage called Eeenie, Meenie, Minee and Moe. Those are knitted in the round and...

My Sister didn't believe me yesterday when I told her it was the same yarn when I showed her my latest Preemie stuff I've made. The hats are a bit brighter than the respective parts of the blankie, but the only difference is one was crocheted and the other knit!!

Figure that one out!!

25. myhoneyhoney

Finished another project... two years in the making. Yeesh, lol. The scarf turned shrug.

Oh, how I wish I can buy more yarn but hubby's forbid me. :( I need to use up what I have completely before I'm free to fondle and purchase. Boooooo

26. skatesindreams

I love this!
    Could you share the pattern?

How large is your "stockpile"?

27. cruisin

Very pretty!

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I am the least crafty person I know. (My mom finally gave up with the craft kits as gifts after I never opened the Bonsai tree kit that was only supposed to take 3 minutes a week.)

Anyway, in clearing out MIL's house we found dressers full (literally) of embroidered, cross-stitched, tatted, crocheted, and handmade lace textiles Mr. Barbk's grandma apparently did for many, many, many years. There are a few tablecloths we'll keep, and a few other things, but I simply do not need four huge boxes of handworked goods. (Aprons, tea towels, dresser scarves, handkerchiefs, pillowcases, bed coverlets,...)

Any suggestions for disposition?

(And speaking of MIL -- why in the world would anyone have 62 tablecloths?)

29. skatesindreams

eBay?
    Many people collect handwork; especially tablecloths, coverlets, and larger pieces.

30. myhoneyhoney

Skatesindreams, the original pattern I used has been taken down by the pattern owner :( but it's very similar to this shawl, just not as many repeats. Ravelry page of original pattern that I used. As for the stash, I have about 20 skeins, most have at least 2 of the same. I guess I better start cranking out scarves to give out for Christmas, lol