Knit or Crochet or Cross Stitch or... ~ FSU's Crafting Circle

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 28, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

W/Marge Simpson posting threads about Charity Crafting projects and other threads in the past, I know there are many of us here who do various crafts. I've been meaning to start a catch all thread ( :D ) for all of us to come in and chat about what we're currently doing/working on. Tonight I finally decided to do it. :)

I'm currently working on a baby sweater that's part of a knitted set for my "stash" of stuff I do for the Neo Natal Unit at the hospital in Sudbury. I knit my very first baby sweater last week and am quite proud of how it turned out. This one is a bit more difficult a pattern, but that's how you get better w/your skills, right? Besides, now that I've gotten the hang of knitting in the round, I decided it was time to give a baby sweater a try.

I've also got an easy peasy knitted in the round baby hat off to the side here too. Just to give myself a break every so often. Not to mention some of my tried and true Crochet baby hat patterns and the hooks needed to make those as well.

I've got a major Cross Stitch project I *really* want to get done, but I've been saying that for the last four years now. It would be one thing if everything didn't take up so much room, but when I have everything out to work on it, it takes up most of our Dining Room table space.

A good friend of mine from the online LOTR Community made me a copy of one of the programs you can create a Cross Stitch chart from a picture. It's of Liv Tyler as Arwen from The Return of the King and is a 12 page chart. Three pages down and four pages across and she's about half done. The joke in this house has been getting her finished, framed and on the wall is my Annual New Year's Resolution, but I really do want to get her done and started on another Cross Stitch piece.

Anyway...What's everyone else working on?

2. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Woohoo, I ♥ crafting! I just finished this shrug and today I started knitting a purse to match it. I'm having problems getting the stitches in because of the angles needed to knit the purse in a round instead of having to seam it so I've resorted to magic looping. So far so good but I'm a bit worried I'll run out of yarn :(

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I just finished knitting the last blanket for my cousins new baby, and the next project is to block the set.

I'm also knitting a baby sack for my friends baby.

When I'm done, a sweater is next.

4. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I'm fairly new to knitting (read: not that adventurous with different stitches or anything remotely complicated) but recently have been trying to step out of my comfort zone a bit. I just knit some purses for my nieces' christmas presents that turned out pretty great.

5. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I just mailed off 12 aprons for the latest Craft Hope project, and I am currently making a dress with this pattern (the version with the sweetheart neckline):http://www.colettepatterns.com/shop/crepe
    It's supposed to be a "beginner" pattern but the facings are driving me bonkers at the moment. :lol: I understitched them, but they keep flapping around, grrr.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Making a biscuit blanket for my friend's wedding. Just sewing in the loose yarn now, actually. :)

Next will probably be my wedding boleros. And maybe some little garlands or flowers too, if I need a little project that isn't too overwhelming.

7. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I always seem to have too many projects on the go or waiting in line .... but so far this year I've been knitting new baby size Aran jackets for a friend with 'requests pending' for my cousin's grandbaby due in November and a friend's 5 year old grandson, made this for myself a couple of months back http://www.deramores.com/cabled-jackets-in-sirdar-hayfield-bonus-aran-9396 and my son's girlfriend has asked me to knit it for her for Christmas. But I'm also trying to finish this cross stitch kit http://www.crossstitchworld.com/cross-stitch-detail.php?RecordID=DW2355 for my daughter before she returns from her work/travel around Australia in October.
    My next cross stitch project is this http://www.qualityneedlecraft.co.uk...-Frog-Pile-Cross-Stitch-Kit-Design-Works.html but I must have half a dozen cross stitch kits waiting to be done :slinkaway including a Winnie the Pooh Millennium Fireworks cross stitch kit currently languishing somewhere in my loft, partly finished :shuffle:

At the moment my priority is this Cultural Olympiad Inspire project http://www.woolsack.org/

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I belong to an informal NYC group called Metrostitchers. Most of us cross stitch, but I went over to the dark side some time ago when I got bitten by the needlepoint bug. Right now I am trying to finish up a small eyeglass case as a present for a friend. My floor stand is currently occupied with a BAP (big-assed project) that is in it's second year, but the end is in sight on that one. I am also working on some small ornaments. I'm almost finished with one of a dragon on a Chinese lantern. We are expecting four days of hot weather here, and I plan to stay cool and stitch, stitch, stitch.

9. AragornElessar

Oh myhoneyhoney...That is *gorgeous*!! Shrugs/Boleros are really starting to come back into style, for which I'm very grateful for, as I adore them!! :)

Isn't that always the way w/something that claims to be a "Beginner" pattern? Good luck on figuring the thing out!!

10. Marge_Simpson

The instructions didn't call for interfacing the sleeve facings but I think they should have, because they just won't stay put. Luckily I have extra fabric, so I'm just going to start the facings again from scratch. *grumble, grumble*

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Am about to start this sweater:
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/solar-plexus

with yarn I bought last weekend from the best yarn store on the planet: Artfibers in San Francisco, a few blocks from Union Square. Even if the yarn wasn't so gorgeous, I would be in love with them for selling their yarn by the yard. The yarn I chose, Majolica (in color "2"), is new and hasn't made the website yet. It's a 70% Extrafine Merino/30% silk mix.

Marge_Simpson: The sweetheart neckline is the scalloped one, yes? If so, there are two things that might help: trimming the facing/interfacing side of the seam smaller than the dress part of the seam and notching out a "v" where the scallop points are. You can start the notch narrow and try to flip it, and if it bunches, increase the size of the notch.

12. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I embroider. Usually just gifts. I started a couple of years ago with online videos.

I am a craft-aholic but I have a short attention span so I attempt a new craft regularly. Every thing from doll clothing, clothing for my daughter, cross stitch, drawing, cake decorating, hair bows etc, embossing, scrapbooks.

Embroidery has lasted the longest - I like that there isn't a pattern, I can just draw, look for different stitches and have fun.

13. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I love crafting! I am currently working on Raven's Tail leggings for my nephew featuring a lightnening pattern in the center. Raven's Tail is an indigenous form of weaving native to the Northwest Coast of the United States which features geometric patterns rather than the totemic designs of Chilkat Weaving. So far I am satisfied with my progress when compared to my previous project the leggings are much more symetrical and lay evenly rather than being distorted and warped looking. It's a very early form of weaving with features just a simple loom from which to hang your warps. There is no shuttle or anything fancy rather it is done all by hands and fingers.

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Would you share the pattern when you get everything organized?

15. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Anita18, I want to knit that bolero! I'm going to try it in an alpaca so it'll be really warm. Then again I also like KnitPick's Gloss lace yarn so that's another possibility....

Skatesindreams, here's the pattern/schematic.

16. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

So jealous of all of you knitters. Thanks Anita for providing a crochet project - that I can handle. The problem with crochet is that it really doesn't lend itself to clothing. It tends to be too bulky. And I don't have the patience to do doily weight crocheting :lol:

Myhoneyhoney, you have 4 kids?! I thought you looked fabulous before, now I'm blown away!

17. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I crochet & cross stitch. No crochet projects currently on the go, but I do have this Tawashi book sitting in my basket ready for me to pick up and start a project. My mother has a fondness for crocheted dishcloths, so I figure at least this way I can work on something a little more interesting than a granny square.
    I have several cross stitch projects on the go, but my current focus project is My Shadow, though I am not stitching it on white. I found the strict black & white too stark, so am working it on a piece of Meadow.

18. AragornElessar

crusin, have you ever checked out Interweave Crochet magazine? They have fantastic sweater patterns and also there's great ones over at Bev's Country Cottage. Not to mention great free patterns in just about anything and everything both crocheting and knitting over there.

It's what I call an evil site, as once I'm over there, I can't seem to leave w/out adding to my pattern stashes. :D The Baby Set I'm knitting right now came from over there. Speaking of that pattern...

Baby Set to fit 4-5 lb Baby

I also make Tiaras and Circlets. As some of you know, I'm very into Lord of the Rings, my user name gives that away to those that know. :) Anyway, at the last convention I attended, a lady was showing how to do four strand braiding and she said that if you replaced the cord w/beaded wire, wouldn't that look an awful lot like Eowyn's Circlet?

That sparked it for me and while I haven't made Eowyn's Circlet yet, as I need to get to the Dollar Store and find little five petal white flowers I can paint gold, I've got everything else to make it. Meanwhile, I've made other Tiaras and Circlets that were also inspired by watching The Tudors.

This is the first one I ever made.

Close up of it

How it looks when worn.

I made this one last summer and will be making a "Diamond" version of this thanks to my sister's Easter Present to me.

What I call the Sapphire Leaf Tiara

How it looks when worn.

I have others I've made, but don't have pictures of as yet. One I did w/Butterfly stones coloured light blue and I'm calling "Blue Topaz", that's like the Sapphire Leaves, but it's only two Butterflies instead of the three stone design in the Leaves Tiara. I also made a Tiara this past March w/"Diamond" crystal beads in a circle and a "Ruby" crystal bead in the centre. IIRC, it seven or eight of those across the base.

I picked up some more of the "Diamond" ones and a really pretty shade of green for an "Emerald" centre the last time I was anywhere beads are sold. I *really* need to get to a Michael's one of these days and stock up on a few things. Last winter I was playing w/seed beads on wire and seeing if I could come up w/the laurel leaf look that show up on several Tiaras seen on many European Royal Ladies heads. While I was able to do it, I haven't been able to use it in a design as of yet. I just wanted to see if I could do it and also have it look good.

I sometimes get the Jewelry and Beading magazines that are out there and one this past Winter had a free DVD w/it showing techinques. Thanks to it, I now know how to make my own earrings and also learned a few other new tricks in my Tickle Trunk. :)

I intend to sell them at some point, but as the majority of my stuff comes from the Dollar Store, many of them would end up being one offs sadly. Anyway, there's another one of my hobbies. What do all of you think?

19. Marge_Simpson

The neck facings were ok after I interfaced them and understitched, but the armhole facings wouldn't stay put, even when I understitched by hand. Miserable things! I ended up tacking them down on the inside of the bodice.
    The skirt is next and that shouldn't give me any grief, especially since I'm omitting the pockets.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I always found that I had to tack armhole facings.

21. cruisin

Ooo! Sewing. That, I'm good at. But, there are virtually no fabric stores around here anymore. And the stores that carry some fabrics, carry crap. I used to make all of my daughter's party and holiday dresses, halloween costumes for both kids. But, now I wouldn't even know where to look for the materials. Just finding a place to buy thread is a pain.

I had a little trouble finding sweaters on that site, last night. But, I will try again, now that I'm rested :D.

I've done some jewelry making, too. I love bead magazines. I like doing peyote stitch beading. And loom beading.

22. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I've become a needlepoint fanatic. I could not learn to knit to save my life, and I've tried many times. I think I have ADD. But needlepoint is like painting with thread, kind of. There's a picture or pattern I can see more easily.

I'm working on a canvas right now that's a portion of a Gustave Klimt painting. It's very swirley and Art Nouveau. Ehrman Tapestries has a whole line of Klimt designs. They're beautiful! I already have my eye on the next one....

Here's a finished look at what I'm working on now. Only one more color left to do!

http://www.ehrmantapestry.com/Products/Klimt--Jade__GKL.aspx

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  23. cruisin

Beautiful, Holley!

24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I love the Ehrman site - so much eye candy.

25. Holley Calmes

I want ALL of them!!!!

26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Holley, the pillow is gorgeous!

I've tried all kinds of needlecrafts.
    The only one I'm really good at is knitting.
    I particularly love lace patterns.

27. Holley Calmes

I envy you being able to knit! I'm helpless.

Do you make those adorable long scarves that look like many lace doilies interlocked? I hope that describes them enough. I have a friend who makes them and they are really pretty-I have several.

28. cruisin

Can you crochet? You can make lacy looking scarves in crochet.

29. Holley Calmes

Nobody's ever tried to teach me to crochet.....my grandmother used to do it, but I guess teaching me was never a priority. I'd be willing to try. But I'm warning ya....if I can't knit, I doubt I'd pick up crochet either. Are they alike?

30. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

That's beautiful Anita, I'm going to show it to my future daughter in law as I'm sure she would love it.

Aw, that is so cute, I love knitting tiny matinee coats and bootees :)

What a wonderful design.
    :lol: I wish I hadn't seen it though :shuffle: ;) as it's something I would love to make but must not give in to temptation :slinkaway :p