Knee support for sit spins?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by jjane45, Aug 11, 2012.

1. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

My left knee can handle deep shoot the ducks alright, but when I actively trained for a lower sit spin position, the knee would bother me for the next day or two. No pains, just noticeable lassitude and sensitivity to changes in weather. My skating friends suggested knee support, e.g. generic knee brace from Walgreen's or bunheads.

If you use knee support, what do you use and is it effective? Is it possible to use knee brace in conjunction with skatingsafe type gel knee pads? Would hinged knee brace be overkill? Also any off ice stretches you recommend before and after skating specifically for the knee?

Potential knee problem is a deal breaker for my sit spin. I look forward to hear knowledgeable forum members' take on knee support. Thank you in advance!!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think anything to give your knee stability is a good idea. I would go to a physio just to get their opinion on it. See a proper sports physio, not a regular one.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Could it be the way you are aligning yourself during the spin? Are you doing something funky during your sit spin that you aren't during your shoot the duck?

Also, keep up with any strengthening exercises that you are doing. Made a big, big difference for me when I really pushed the weightlifting on all of the muscle groups in my legs.

4. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I agree with Lil Jen. It could be something you are doing as you go into the spin that strains the knee, since you don't have the same problem on shoot-the-ducks. Maybe the way you're swinging your free leg? What does your coach say about your sit spin technique?

5. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

I don't know if it relates to overuse? My coaches are aware that I cannot do more than 5 sit spins per session, and they did not point out anything unusual in my technique. I swing the free leg wide and high on sit spin entry while bending down, which could cause a little twist motion maybe?

Did anyone see knee support in action? :)

6. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

I would recommend strapping your knee rather than a knee brace....
    The muscles used to stabilise yourself in a sit spin are different from shoot the duck, so it is probably just a bit of weakness in the muscles. So keep doing what your doing and take it slow until your knee starts to develop a bit, also make sure you have done a good warm up...

If no good after a few weeks then i agree with seeing a physio... also take your skates along to show the physio how it makes you bend, can help give your physio a wider view of the problem...

Good Luck :)

7. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Thank you! What warm up exercises do you recommend for stabilizing the knees, please? I'll totally look into taping/strapping, sounds like it won't interfere with knee pads.

If I limit sit spin attempts to less than 5 per day, there are no noticeable issues. Guess that's what I'm sticking with at the moment.

thank you again everyone, I'm all ears :)