Kimmie Meissner's triple-triples video

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bartek, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bartek

bartek New Member

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Um, those are some mighty fine triple toe-axels. How is a toe-axel judged under IJS? The jump is completed on the landing, but is there a deduction for pre-rotation

3. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Scissoring Cizeron!

I wish someone would do those now for the US.... Last US world champ, the most recent highest finish at world since 2007... Not saying her technique is spot on, but why hate during such a drought?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What do you mean? You mean you want someone to win for the US now? No skater with a blatant toe-axel is going to win under IJS.

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

She did win under IJS, though...

I think he meant that he wishes someone in the US would do triple-triples.

6. JeffClair1979

Thank you- I realized I didn't make a very good point. Her technical ambition is something I wish to carry forth with US ladies. I apologize if it came off the wrong way. "I haven't seen that kind of competitive drive since Kimmie" would have been a MUCH better way to phrase my original post. What we're (US) missing right now is that "do or die" mindset. I'd love to see it come back soon.

7. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I have to admit, when I saw the thread title, I thought somebody had a NEW Kimmie Meissner's triple-triples video. :duh:

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I do have to say I'm surprised the majority of these were credited..

9. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

You're missing at least one. I remember during a warm up at TEB (I forgot which year--I think 2006), she did a triple flip-triple loop and it looked really good. It was solid and pretty clean on the rotation. I was like :eek:; she can do that?!?!?!

10. bartek

bartek New Member

Unfortunately it's impossible to find all the videos with warm-ups. I would really like to have Worlds 2001 Ladies' FS Warm-up with Michelle and Irina throwing 3S+3L etc. Usually skaters warm-up their triple-triples always if they're going to do them in their program.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

ITA:slinkaway

But, how's Kimmie doing lately? I saw a clip of her skating in a club gala but I've got no idea how recent that was.

Is she never coming back? Aside her not-so-easy-to-praise worthy of jump techniques, I do miss her aspiring spirit when she was on the ice..

12. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Wow, almost every one was UR! Her best combo in this video is probably 2007 4CC's and WC. All the others looked barely eeked out.

13. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

She did a 3lutz-3toe combination (not 3F-3T), right? :slinkaway

14. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

She did both.

For all of the problems with Kimmie's toe-axel, she actually had a nice "real" axel :)

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I always had mixed feelings when it came to Kimmie. On one hand, she always seemed like such a sweet, kind hearted person and for that I loved her. She was very competitive and gutsy and I loved that too...

OTOH, I couldn't stand her skating! Her airplane arms were terrible, her jumps rarely looked like they should be credited. She was a mediocre skater at best...but her personality is what won me over and made me cheer for her. I was ecstatic when she won worlds in 2006 because she went out there, fought for it and kicked everyone's ass.

16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I liked Kimmie. She wasn't tiffed, but she was a cute jumping bean, and a sweetie to boot. I was hoping she'd undergo a Kwan-like transformation, but instead puberty derailed her. Oh well, she can always call herself a World, National, 4CC and Skate America champion - nothing to shake a stick at! :)

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Her 3/3's are not pretty at all. She had shaky edges on her jump landings and the toe axels make me want to wretch. I always liked her though and she was a great competitor during her peak.

18. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

ITA!

19. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I was shocked when she won worlds. I mean, I was not shocked at her placement but just overall-the whole competition was shocking LOL. Never in my mind did I think Sasha would get anything but gold let alone Kimmie be on the podium. I thought she was a dark horse for bronze at best

20. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Soooo whaaaat???? :yawn: :blah:

21. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Uh, you don't have to like the skater in the video, but why don't you show some respect to the person who took the time to compile all of these clips? :rolleyes:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  22. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I don't think anyone, even Kimmie herself thought she had a shot in hell at the title. It was Cohen's to lose and as per usual, she lost it. I was actually more shocked with Cohen's meltdown than I was with Kimmie winning. Suguri was next in line after Cohen but a few mistakes and a blah program didn't boost her to gold either. Kimmie snuck in and took the title at the right place and the right time since the general consensus at the time was that once Mao and Yuna became eligible for Worlds, they would dominate the scene....which is what happened through the next quadrennial.

23. bartek

bartek New Member

You know, I do those videos with triple-triples or quads because I like to have them all in one place, one after another, just to watch them, admire and compare. When I did the first one (Irina Slutskaya) I thought that maybe some people would like to watch it as well, just because it's nice to see all the times Miki Ando went for quad or Shizuka threw efortlessly her triple-triple-triples. If you have any problem with me posting these videos here I don't have to do it, I can very well keep them for myself, no problem. But many peaople thank for those videos, request next skaters and are happy to watch them. I'll go for majority (you're the first one with such a comment) and will keep posting them here until more users will express their disapproval.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

This was the ONE time I thought Cohen really, legitimately had a shot at the world championship if she just skated normally. (2004 was Arakawa's year and 2005 was Slutskaya's.) Even with her usual FS performance w/fall I think that would have been enough. However, her heart clearly wasn't in it and she should have skipped it. People say Rochette should have given this year's Worlds a shot but who's to say she wouldn't have struggled as well? Look at Yuna Kim...even the "Queen" isn't immune to the common struggles of returning to competition after extended time away.

Meissner took advantage of probably the weakest ladies field at Worlds in a long time and couldn't have chosen a better time to peak. She was clean but imo that was about it. Good enough since no one else brought it.

I'd have that win as the biggest shocker in the time I've been watching skating. Even bigger than Hughes' win at Olys imo.

25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you understood my post.

I was defending you. ;)

26. bartek

bartek New Member

Yeah I know and thank you! I was replying to the post you had replied to. When I used quotation I tought it would include both your post and the offensive one.

27. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh, okay. ;)

You're welcome. I appreciate all of the hard work you put into those 3-3 videos!

28. JeffClair1979

I like the videos- please keep posting them! Even if someone isn't the most artistic skater to grace the ice, technical competency is always appreciated in my camp. I prefer the whole package, but I'm as much of an artistic fan (I'm a total Sasha whore" as I am an athletic fan (Kimmie fan girl). :) Don't listen to the haters- if they don't like it, then they don't have to read the thread, now, do they? :)

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't think a skater can be classified as technically competent if she/he doesn't have proper techniques on one or more of the technical elements.

30. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Tara Lipinski had a flutz. Is she not "technically competent?"