Kimmie Meissner - what is she doing now?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by arakwafan2006, Mar 1, 2011.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I hope no one slams me for asking this but is she officially retired? If so, what a shame. Not because she was so enigmatic but just because she never got to "bow out" but rather circumstances just sort of ganged up on her...
  2. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Kimmie hasn't made any official retirement announcment, but she has no current plans to return, and likely never will. She's focusing on college, occasionally doing a bit of show skating, and living a normal life.

Her career ended on a low note, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. The girl can always call herself an Olympian and World Champion. Not shabby at all. :)
  3. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Good point. At the end of the day she did make great accomplishment.
  4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I saw her on one of the NBC pro shows awhile back. I think it was Salute to the Golden Age but it might have been another one.
  5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say Kimmie has bowed out of the sport.

She has nothing to be ashamed off. World Champ, National Champ, and 6th at an Olympics is nothing to shake a stick at.
  6. FSWer

FSWer New Member

I was wondering about the girl too. We need to watch when Skaters hurt themselves.
  7. RD

RD Well-Known Member

It seems like EVERY MONTH someone posts a thread asking what happened to Meissner. Seriously, probably about the 6th one I've seen so far this season :lol: The answer should be stickied or something. :lol:

RockTheTassel's post sums it up, really. Done. Finished. Over. Next.
  8. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Until she announces her retirement, I'll always believe she'll come back :cheer2:

Cautionary note: this comes from someone who still believes Kwan will be Olympic Champ ;)
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Here's a new local (Harford County, Maryland) article on Meissner: http://www.exploreharford.com/sport...-kimmie-meissner-comes-harford-meet-her-fans/
  10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing.
  11. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

It seems like not announcing your retirement is the norm for a lot of people.
  12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Get well Kimmie! Would love to see her at Nationals again, but we'll see how it goes. She needs to do whatever is best for her.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

It seems strange that she's still injured given that she's barely been skating and not training for elite competition. I mean, I can understand nagging injuries, but wearing a supportive boot? That sounds like the recovery of a pretty major, recent injury. I wonder what's up. Maybe her body is telling her NO MORE! as loudly as possible, but she can't accept it.
  14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that Kimmie accomplished so many things. Even though her career was short, it is something great to brag about. She won nationals as a novice, junior and senior; won bronze, silver and gold at seniors; won worlds, Skate America, and Four Continents; almost won junior worlds; and went to the Olympics. Not too shabby. I think everyone's frustration stems from her not being around long enough to defend any of her awards.
  15. shirley

shirley New Member

Count me in as another who is shocked at her decision to still want to compete, given the injuries and everything. Like leafygreens said above, she has quite some hardware already.
  16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Not surprised. Most athletes/competitive people tend to be like that- even when their body basically says it's over, they keep entertaining comebacks, etc. We see the phenomenon in several sports.

Hmm. Doesn't sound like someone committed to a "comeback" to me. Sounds more like someone who is simply CONSIDERING coming back, but doesn't know for sure yet (think of Kwan, Cohen, all the countless skaters who kept mentioning it, but other than Cohen's brief effort, comebacks never actually materialized). But from a personal point of view, I can't possibly see how coming back could have any benefit to her. The only real goal left for her to accomplish is an Oly medal, and judging from the talent coming up, I think she has been surpassed and would be hard-pressed to do much better than barely hanging in the top 10 at nationals. But that may be something she is content with- I dunno. I doubt it, though, because you naturally want to reach higher, and for her she has already won the big prizes.

ETA: also, I'll make an intelligent guess that she was asked IF she was entertaining the thought of a comeback and then responded with the above.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  17. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

I agree with most of everything you wrote RD.

But a lot of athletes who make or try to make a comeback just merely miss competing in of itself and the adrenaline they get when they're in the spotlight. Sure, in the back of their minds they might be thinking, "I still have something to prove" or "I'm better than this", but I think no matter what discipline you're in, athletes understand that their careers are short-lived. So if they haven't gotten everything out of their system, just getting out there again when they still might have a chance, could be in a sense, cathartic and beneficial. Of course, it may be that in hindsight, the comeback was more detrimental than beneficial, e.g. Brett Favre and some may argue Jordan.
  18. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. It was good to hear an update on Kimmie. She has such a great personality and has done so much to benefit others from her accomplishments.

I think she's done, but who knows. I would love to see her comeback and do well if she can get healthy. Its tough to leave injured.
  19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I suppose you have a point. But for some reason I don't think they'd invest the time, effort and money if they didn't TRULY believe (whether that belief is realistic or not is another story) that they could regain their former glory. Turns out that it's virtually always the case that they are past their prime and become shadows of their former selves. Again, maybe some are content like that, but especially if you've been on top, highly endorsed, etc. there comes a point where the risk starts to outweigh the reward.

For someone like Meissner, in ANY potential come-back she tries, she will be compared to her 2006-2007 self (which, arguably, was her peak when she won worlds and Nationals the following year) and it'll likely turn out that she'll never contend again due to better talent at the top. I suppose it could be to her benefit that expectations might be quite low since she did proceed on a downward spiral afterward.

Honestly though- she's done. It sounds like she is now extremely injury-prone, much like Cohen was in 2005 (and again during 2009). Even if she does try, I think injury will take its toll. Unless she overhauls her training technique to minimize risk (obviously can't eliminate it, but there must be a method to at least help reduce likelihood)
  20. Sylvia

21. shine

shine Well-Known Member

So what happened to her anyway? I thought she switched to Callaghan and I remember that her jumps weren't as consistent as they used to be. But after that season she just stopped all together? Was it injuries? What career ending injury did she have?
  22. Sylvia

From today's article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110412&content_id=17680580&vkey=ice_news
  23. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the link.

Good on her for where she is heading in her life. And nice that she is keeping in with skating. She has always struck me as a very hard working and dedicated person.
  24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Kimmie is a World Champion, and nobody can ever take that away from her! I hope whatever she pursues brings her success and joy.

Can't wait to her at Skate for Love on Sat!
  25. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Nice pic, they both look so pretty! Kimmie still looks soo young though, can't believe she's 21!
  27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

What a beautiful pic! :encore: