Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Wyliefan, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. What an interesting interview, and what a sensible and balanced person she comes across as. It's refreshing to read an interview with an athlete who's not all about "God made it so that I would win".

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

She seems like such a sweet girl with a good head upon her shoulders. I wish her all the best of luck in the future.

P.S. Does anyone know for sure what her competitive status is these days?

4. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Sounds like she's been reading here. :( I wish her all the best.

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That's really sad. I try to refrain from making unnecessarily rude comments about skater's appearances, and in general things they have NO control over. Unfortunately there will always be those who cannot help themselves. Skaters DO read boards like this one, and who knows, maybe some of them are posters among us!

Kimmie, if you're reading this, I love you! :encore: ;)

6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Kimmie for gold in 2014! :cheer2:

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Kimmie is so sweet, and I am glad that her faith "helps her through rough times" but it really irks me when people say their talents and abilities are "gifts from god."

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I don't understand why. It is her right as a US Citizen to have her own religious beliefs...personally I don't see that statement as being irksome.

9. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Very sweet article. I rather like it when people acknowledge that their talents and abilities are gifts from G-d, as opposed to something solely attributable to their own merit.

10. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I am totally not religious, but I found it a sweet article, and I'm glad she has that belief/strength to hold her through the tough times. I would really like to see her compete again. I have found her courage and dignity quite "real," not just PR/USFSA-Speak,though the years. She seems like a genuine person.

11. Triple Butz

It certainly is her right, and she is entitled to believe that. I just happen to think it's ridiculous. I like people to take credit for their own hard work, passion, and motivation rather than attribute it to some magical nonsense.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

To the people who believe that God gave them some talent or skill it is absolutely not "magical nonsense".

Maximillian and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. Maybe it's just me, but I am a very religious person, and your comment about "magical nonsense" was highly insulting to a practicing Catholic. If I may ask, do you practice any type of formal religion? I think the answer must be no, for if you did, I doubt you would ever say something like that.

14. Triple Butz

You are entitled to your opinion, but you should realize that what irks you about my statement is the same thing that irks me about Kimmie's.

Personally, I don't practice religion. I grew up with it, and was even confirmed, but as an adult I decided it was a complete waste of time FOR ME. That doesn't mean it's a waste of time for everybody.

To better illustrate my irkdom, let me just say that I am a professional musician, and since I was a kid I've been hearing the "god has given you a gift speech" and it's really annoying. Who are you to assume I was born with some magical ability? You didn't see the hours and hours of practice, the nerve-wracking competitions, or the years of instruction from famous teachers. You just showed up at the recital, heard me play, and assumed I was "given" this ability. If somebody else wants to let their god take credit for what they've done, that is their choice, but I choose to take credit for my own hard work and experience. That's why we have copyright afterall :summer:

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The connection seems forced, arbitrary and certainly tenuous, but whatever helps you.
    What is the last date before she will need to decide to compete? I would like to see her come back if she is ready.

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I suppose she would have to compete at South Atlantic Regionals first, and then Eastern Sectionals. The deadline to register for the 2010-2011 Qualifying Season is 9/1/2010.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  17. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Kimmie sounds like a really decent girl. I guess most skaters do. But going to college full time and skating can be a tough assignment.

Of course, Alissa did it and Ashley is doing it now.

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Such a nice interview--thanks for sharing it! Doesn't sound like we'll know until October whether she felt ready to take on competition again. I STILL hope she does--if not this year then the next, or the next. Her presentation made SUCH leaps and bounds in 2007-2009, even if she was struggling technically, and you can definitely see the joy in her skating.

19. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

But is Ashley going full time? I thought she was just taking a couple courses.

Are there any successful skaters who go/went to college full time? I wouldn't really count Alissa since her only achievement is one controversial win at nationals.

20. beabstress

beabstress New Member

I'm certainly not presuming to speak on anyone's behalf, but I truly don't believe that Triple Butz was trying to stir up trouble here, and I hope that this thread doesn't degenerate into something yucky because people's buttons are getting pushed. Personally, I am in agreement with Triple Butz (about being irked when athletic success is attributed to God); but to me, it isn't a religious thing, actually. Instead, I take issue with the current "culture of humility," for lack of a better term, that makes it "tacky" or just plain WRONG for a person to stand up and take credit where credit is due. Society sends us the message that we shouldn't be proud of ourselves, shouldn't toot our own horns--and so we have to shift the credit elsewhere. This is especially damaging for young girls, like Kimmie. To me, it's not a question of abandoning religion--it's only about building healthy self-esteem.

Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.
  21. just wondering

just wondering Member

Could the deadline to register be September 1, 2010, rather than October 1? October is cutting it pretty close to Regionals. I don't know specifically which week in October South Atlantic's is, but even if it is the last week, I think all Regionals have the same registration deadline. Then again, I really don't know.:)

22. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:eek: You're right! It is supposed to be 9/1/10! :)

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Lately, I've been finding she has been surprisingly candid about many things related to her skating, both in recent articles and in the Q&A session with her I attended earlier this year. I never really thought she'd say some of these things, but I've come to appreciate her newfound honesty. Not so much in the way I appreciate, say, Mirai's, but when a skater isn't afraid to say that something's bothering her- whether it's an injury, a fan's or reporter's comment, or a trend- or isn't afraid to say that she wants to win (without putting down her competitors), deep down it makes me respect that skater more.

I saw this article earlier, and I'm not religious so I can't relate to the comments about God, etc, but if someone is spiritual and can use that to dig deep, more power to him/her.

As for her future in competitive skating, well, unfortunately I don't think she has one. She's done- let's be honest here- she's a skater that got incredibly lucky, peaked at the right time to take advantage of major mistakes from the favorites (2006 Worlds)...ever since then (and even before then) it's been a struggle to live up to those 4 minutes of greatness for her. Too much came too soon, the pressure built, she grew and it all unraveled...in such dramatic fashion. In the meantime, the current US Ladies, in the past three years, swooped right in and took over. It is clear that there are up-and-comers that can challenge, and for any of the old-timers it's really going to be a looong game of catch-up. Sport waits for no one. I wish her the best in whatever she chooses to do, whether it's skating-related or not.

In a way, the above is why I'm secretly glad Mirai didn't go on to win the '10 worlds (this is NOT to say I was not disappointed with her showing)- because expectations would have been that much higher for her, especially after the great Olympics she had. Now, expectations are still there, but tempered somewhat...at least IMO.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, believe me, none of us believers are saying that a sport or an instrument doesn't take massive amounts of hard work! I'm only an amateur musician and I know that. That's not what "gift from God" means at all. It means it ALL came from God -- the ability and patience to nurture and develop and use a talent. We wouldn't have any of it if He hadn't created us in the first place.

I understand you don't agree with this, and that's fine. I'm not trying to push it on you. I only wanted to explain that viewpoint a little so you could understand better what that phrase means.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  25. overedge

I don't get from that article at all that Kimmie is solely attributing her success to God. She also talks about her hard work and her work ethic. It's not like she's saying that she just walked into a rink and God did everything else she needed to become world champion.

I really also don't get the sense that her self-esteem has been damaged at all by her religious faith. If anything, she must have a very strong sense of self-esteem to have endured the insinuations that her winning Worlds was a fluke, and to want to continue in the sport and enjoy it after that.

There may be athletes who give too much credit to God and not enough to themselves, but she certainly doesn't come across as one of them at all.

26. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

If God gets the credit when Kimmie succeeds, does he get the blame when she fails? I could not blame a supernatural entity if I failed at something. The blame is all mine, therefore, so is the credit when I succeed.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  27. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

God gives the talent. You supply the work. Seems pretty straightforward to me. :)

Maybe on the national level...but we've had, what, 5 national champions in 5 years? And Kimmie was the last US lady to medal at Worlds, no?

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, she was...and that was when she won in 2006! Wow. :eek: Just hit me. Shows how long this drought has gone on.

29. Triple Butz

The next best finish by a US lady was also Kimmie, who finished 4th in 2007.

30. overedge

But I don't think she is giving God the credit for her results. She is giving God credit for giving her the *talent*. You may not agree with that, but she does talk about how she had to work hard to do something with that talent. So she is not crediting God alone for her successes or her failures.