Kim Yu-na's TV Show Struggles in the Ratings

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Wow, that's not something I would have guessed.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Not even Kim Yuna can make a skating competition show popular in South Korea! Amazing.

5. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Well, guess nobody can be good at everything...

6. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I think it is too early to decide whether her show is a success or a failure. SBS has been struggling for this particular time slot anyway. The competing shows at the other channels are extreamly popular in Korea. I think SBS already knew the fact it cannot be the number one show given the situation. They may be just trying to improve their rating at best.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I watched all the links even though I didn't understand a word but I can see how people might be getting sick of seeing her.

8. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

So maybe even Koreans only like to watch GOOD skaters skate? :lol:

9. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Hm, if I was in Korea, my sole viewing should help the ratings. :D

10. luCN

luCN New Member

I think everyone will understand the situation after watch one.It's just like Skate with the stars,and even worse...boring and flat...

11. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

this one proves that Koreans are more interested if Yuna is competing. no buts. no ifs. It mentioned in the article..this years Worlds where she competed, it drew 40% range(it was number 1 for SBS) well...it looks like yuna will continue competing. if she doesn't, figure skating will die in Korea. unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  12. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

The rating, 8.1~10.5%, is not something. But OTOH, it's not nothing where skating had been nothing for a long time. ;)

"I am a Singer" on MBC, 14%, is sensationally popular here in Korea - the program is something like a survival stage where Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Eminem and Justin Bieber is competing. :lol: All the papers, magazines and sites are talking about the program. But it's rating is just about one and a half or two times more than the-unheard-and-unseen-mere figure skating program. :cool:

"Qualifications of Men" on KBS, 6.6~9.2%, also is a long-lived good program. I also love this program but I couldn't see it live so I watch this on IPTV later.

Anyway, as someone said above, the program is on and on. I mean this is not the time whether some say it is success or not. As a skating fan, I think broadcasting the program at the prime time on weekend itself is a big success.

13. sratin

sratin New Member

I think it is too early to make a rash decision of the rating. The program has only just started. And the last program was like rerun........

14. julieann

It also looks like it was thrown together on a whim with not much thought.

15. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

This.

There is a limit to how far it is possible to stretch Yunah's fame.

Figure skating and reality TV don't always go together that well. 'Skating with the Stars' type shows have bombed in North America, barring Battle of the Blades, which appeals to hockey fans. I think they've done okay in Russia - don't know about Japan - as for Korea, probably most of the celebrity skaters are unknown to the public.

16. RunnersHigh

Could you tell me how were the programs' ratings?

17. RunnersHigh

18. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

This show is not bad at all, maybe cuz i know all thoes celebrities like to see what they can do on ice lol.

19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Battle of the Blades Ratings: The show was CBC's top non-sports show (non-sports meaning not NHL, etc)

Skating with the Stars: Just to give you an idea, by the end of the show's run, it was getting approximately twice as many viewers as Battle of the Blades. Key difference: Canada has 1/10th the population of the US, so in real tirms, BotB was doing about five times better.

20. floskate

floskate Vacant

For what it's worth, the original of these celebrity skating snoozefests - the UK's Dancing on Ice - has just completed it's 6th season or something like that. It still regularly pulls in around 7 -10 million viewers which is a huge amount for Sunday evening primetime. Of course Torvill & Dean being mentors is the reason it's still going. It might have been 27 years since they won the OGM but they certainly have proved their longevity. Without them the show would have been pulled years ago.

21. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

22. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Oh, you are talking about Claudia Muller, a Swiss-Korean junior figure skaker. Most of the professional skaters are coaches. I roughtly translated their Korean names into English, which may be different from their actual passport names.

CHA, Joon-Hwan (male): Student. 11 years old. A junior single skater.

CHA, Oh-Reum (male): Coach. 21 years old. A recently retired single skater.

CHOI, In-Hwa (male): Coach. 27 years old. A former skater.

CHOI, Sun-Young (female): Coach. A former ice dancer.

KIM, Do-Hwan (male): Coach. 26 years old. A former single skater.

KIM, Hyun-Cheol (male): Coach. 36 years old. A former ice dancer.

LEE, Dong-Whun (male): Athlete. 25 years old. A senior single skater. He's trying to come back from a series of injury problems. He used to be capable of a quad toe.

LEE, Soo-Kyung (female): ISU International Data & Replay Operator

YU, Sun Hye (female): Coach. A former ice dancer. She skated for Uzbekistan.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  23. julieann

The reason the one in the US does so bad because we have no celebrities and no celebrity skaters. Kim is and Olympic Champ :)

24. RunnersHigh

Her name is Claudia Müller and she is not a Korean yet- trying to obtain Korean nationality to be a member of Korean National Team.
    Her father is Swiss and mother is Korean.

There's a program introducing her as a promising skater on KBS.

25. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

She should totally get Gizmo to guest judge. I would pay serious cash to see her give a piece of her mind whilst gyrating to that tantric sex music she used couple years ago.

Anyhoo, this show has significantly improved the ratings compared to the previous show that filled the same time slot, so this is a small victory for SBS as it is. As the main competition and thus 'real' skating kicks off, the rating can only improve, so I don't get all this premature doom and gloom.

26. t.mann

t.mann New Member

27. Shaia

Shaia New Member

I totally agree. The original news article and the thread title is quite misleading actually. The first show debuted quite successfully (with about 15% Nielsen rating) and it was the highest watched show during that time slot (Sunday afternoon).

And if they want to increase the rating, all they need is to simply show more Yuna...(rather than just having her sitting in as a judge)

28. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

* rating of 10% = about 5 million viewers

Episode 1 : 10~12% (The highest 'rating per minute' was 16%. Shaia, what you say seems to be this. :))
    Episode 2 : 8~10%

------------------------------------------
    It is not bad at all. :)

29. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Rough translation of the article:

SBS is planning a Season 2 for Kim Yu-Na’s ‘Kiss and Cry’…
    … A production member for ‘Kiss and Cry’ said, “We had planned this show since last year. It would be worthwhile if figure skating get recognized and loved by more people through this show.”

“Inspired by Yu-Na, more and more girls have been taking up (ladies’ single) skating, but it still remains very thin when it comes to men’s singles, pairs and ice dancing. Under these circumstances, if the show continue as a multi-season project, it could play a significant role in expanding the fan base and increasing the population who enjoy figure skating as a leisure sport. That’s the main motivation in planning the Season 2. But nothing’s concrete and Yu-Na’s continued commitment has not been confirmed yet."

30. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

That’s true, I think. But I am glad the show is not too Yuna-centric, and I want to praise SBS for this. It’s nice they’re developing stories for each participant and partnership.

The rating is not great but it has done well, given the huge popularity of other long-running Sunday evening primetime shows aired at the same time slot. I think the show is well-made and when you count the viewership with a number of reruns, IPTVs and downloads, it’s getting a lot of exposure. For SBS, it is a good improvement on their last show at the same time slot.