Kim Comments on Her Future

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, May 17, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=473126.html

In a new article on Universal Sports' site, Kim indicates the following:

"It's only been three months after the Olympics, and to think of four more years down the road is just horrendous," the carefree Kim told Reuters in an interview last week.

"I am not thinking of the next Olympics yet because I haven't yet made a decision on next season"

She also communicates some interesting stuff on her relationship with Brian Orser and the whole issue of trust.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. lise

lise Well-Known Member

thanks! I have a strong feeling that she will turn pro.

3. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I'm thinking she'll do another season to try to re-claim the world title, but retire once that has been accomplished.

4. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

For some reason my first thought was of Kim Navarro. :p This thread is about Yuna Kim, in case anyone was wondering....

AYS and (deleted member) like this.
  5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Very likely she will, because the new proposed changes are now going to help to Mao and Miky and disadvantage Yu-Na. Yu-Na won't be getting those crazy high GOEs anymore and her 3 double axels won't count for as much. Mao will not be risking as much if she underrotates 3A, and if the rule passes that she can replace 2A in SP for 3A, she will have her option open to go for 3-3 again (the second jump may be UR, but it won't be counted as double with minus GOE). Which means that Yu-Na would have to work much harder now to keep ahead. I think it is too high risk for Yu-Na.

6. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

That rule should have been passed ages ago. It was so unfair not letting the ladies go for the 3A in the SP instead of the 2A.

7. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I think she'll stay in another year and then retire, but even then I really worry about her keeping the motivation up. I imagine its hard to stay focused when you've already won the big prize.

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I want Yu-Na to stay, but, for now, I just want her to decide what's best for her!

:saint:

9. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

If she can't find the motivation she should not compete next season no matter how hard it is or not for her country to keep it's worlds spots.

Also please it's not like she has a weakness the new word highlight-they just don't penalize other skaters flaws as bad. Yu Na is a great skater and would be so under any of the rules skating has had (figures aside since she hasn't had to train them so we have no real idea).

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Don't worry, Yu-na. I don't know how also. :)

11. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

Yu-Na, you were born to skate!!
    Though it's nice to see her smiling, laughing and singing(!), I sincerly hope her to stay. I miss her eyes when she was on.

But may be it's too much for her right now.
    Take your time, Yu-Na. I look forward to hearing from you.

12. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Why do you say she won't be getting the high GOE's anymore? The GOE guidelines haven't really changed since last season and that's where YuNa's big scores tend to come from. If she skates clean (which she often does), she can still beat Mao, even under the new jujmp rules. She would just have to be motivated to do it, and that's where the real problem lies.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The point values for each level of GOE (-3 to +3) have changed in addition to the adjustments in base value:

From HisWeirness' post in the "Changes to Jump base values and GOE in Communication 1611" thread:

For what she did in her Olympic FS, for jumps Kim would have received a total of 5.5 points less based on changes to GOE scale and base values, including losing 2 points but would have recovered a little over 2 points back from the combination bonus, with the following caveat:

The program included three 2A's, which won't be allowed, even though two were in unique combinations and the third a solo 2A, and the solo and one of the combos were preceded by a move in the field. (But I digress). She did two 3Lz's and two 3T's, which means she'd have to replace one of the 2A's with another double or with a 3Lo.​

I'm not sure if her spins, all called 4's in Vancouver, meet the new level requirements. She would have lost 1.9 more points in base value for the spiral sequence, which changes to a choreo spiral in the FS. On the other hand, her closest competitors also had L4 spirals and would be in the same boat.

Her closest competitor Asada has every incentive to do 3A, 3A/2T, and a 3/3 combination in the FS, knowing that she'd get at least intermediate credit for all of the triples, in addition to 30% more GOE on the two 3A's than for any other triples for the same -3 to +3 grade.

14. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Take your time Yuna. Just follow your heart. But I hope she will continue competing.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

But not too much time.

Please be ready by October and Skate Canada. ;)

16. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Same here. Pyungchang is bidding to host 2018 Olympics and I think it will be one of the factors to compete for another season and after that time to retire.

17. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Instead of the a double jump or a 3Lo couldn't she also get away with that and just do two 3sals, but one as a 3-jump combo? If possible I think this would be the safest bet for her if she continues to compete, considering the flip issues.

18. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I wholeheartedly advice you to learn how to better manage your anger.
    Regardless whether Yu-Na Kim continues to compete or not, there will be more frustration to come for you and your favorite skater IMO.

Even if she wins, she will never be free from pundits criticizing her inability to win without being gifted through rule changes.
    If she fails to win, she will be deemed as a perennial loser who couldn't win despite having the system blatantly rigged for her.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Her three Olympic combinations were:

3Lz/3T, base 10, next year 10.1
    2A/2T/2Lo, base 6.3, next year 6.5
    2A/3T, base 7.5, next year 7.4

She also did a solo 3Lz, which maxes out the Zayak rule, for 6.0 base, 6.6 after the midway point.

She could substitute a 3S/2T or 3S/2Lo combination for the 2A/3T, but she can't do a second three-jump combination, nor can she do 3Lz/3T, 3S/2T/2Lo, and 2A/3T, unless she wanted to drop the solo 3Lz, in which case she'd need another jump for the 3Lz pass.

3Lz/3T, base 10, next year 10.1
    2A/2T/2Lo, base 6.3, next year 6.5
    3S/2T, next year 5.6

and the 3Lz (two 3Lz's, two 3S's) for 6.0 and the solo 2A for 3.3, but that's a 1.8 loss in base.

If she kept her program as is, and did a 2Lz/2T/2Lo combo, or used the 2Lz as a solo jump instead of the solo 2A, she'd lose 1.2 in base (next year). If she subbed in a 3Lo in the three-jump combination or as a solo jump, she'd gain 1.8 in base (next year).

20. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Kim is a great skater. Indeed she would do well under any scoring system. From this point forward, it's about her physical condition and her desire. If both are thriving, I see no reason why she won't continue -- certainly not the changes to the scoring system. With all the opportunities she has coming her way, it's really tough to know which way she'll go. Even she isn't certain at this time. And I don't blame her.

O-

21. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Can she still do the same layout as the Olympics, only changing the 2A+2T+2Lo into a 3S+2T+2Lo and keeping everything the same? If i remember the Zayak rule isn't violated still. But...if she instead opts to do a double (lets say lutz) instead of the third 2Axel i have to wonder if the judges would change how they score her on PCS.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

In her Olympic FS, her two repeated triples are 3Lutz (3Lz/3T and solo 3Lz) and 3T (3Lz/3T and 2A/3T). She already has a solo 3S. If she changes the 2A/2T/2Lo to 3S/2T/2Lo and still keeps the 3S, she'll have repeated three triples and will be in violation of the Zayak Rule (max two repeated triples).

In her Olympic FS layout, the solo 3Lz would be the third repeated triple and would get no credit.

23. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

ooooo...basically you can't do 3 repeated triples. OMG I had no idea until now that it was part of the Zayak rule :rofl: :eek: :duh:

With the new rules, I don't think it will be the change of point values that will affect her as it does everyone else, but that she is now faced to do a 3loop (or 3axel) in the LP now and most importantly how it will affect her consistency. Given her being olympic champ already i don't see her going for even easier elements than she did in Vancouver, so i'm pretty sure she will try to push herself technically and try these new jumps.
    But overall, i don't think she will be affected a bit by these new rules. she+brian have always done a good job at maximizing her scoring potential.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I can't tell you the number of times I've miscounted the triples in trying to come up with alternate plans that don't violate the Zayak rule.

Japanfan and (deleted member) like this.
  25. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I think the following would be the best layout for Kim without a 3loop (not in that order of course):

3lz-3t
    3lz-2t
    3flip
    3flip-2t-2r
    3sal
    2axel
    2axel

By making her 3 combos be with lutzes and flips, she's maximizing her base value by taking advantage of that 10% combo bonus.

She'll still be fine without the 3loop.

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Some skaters (i.e Kwan) can stay motivated to win repeated world titles, especially if they love skating and competing - though that seems to be becoming less the case under CoP.

I do agree though that it might be hard for Yunah to keep the motivation up - but because of the huge amount of pressure and expectation she has to bear. Her use of the word 'horrendous' was telling. And so was her comment (sad in my opinion) that she would like to not worry about eating too much because if she gained weight her face looked bloated in her pictures - but she didn't even know what she wanted to eat. It was if she is not really allowed to be just human. .

Perfection and brilliance were expected of Yunah at the Olympics and she delivered. She is certainly the best in the world at the moment, but I question whether she was motivated more by a true love of the sport of by her sense of obligation to her nation as its 'queen' (Orser has emphasized that obligation). Or, if the burden that came with her huge celebrity and wealth at such a young age dwarfed and perhaps undermined her love of the sport.

I expect she will stay in a year because she feels obligated to do but wonder if we will ever again see the same fire and perfection we saw at the Olympics.

I would really be sad to see her go. Mao is my favourite and in contrast to Yunah, she has plenty of drive and for her, the best (or better) may still be yet to come. But she thrives on competition (before Worlds she said she just wanted to beat Yunah one more time).

Without Yunah, the field would definitely deflate. Miki and Mao need to be pushed, Mirai is not yet ready IMO to move up a full level. Kostner's best days are behind her and Rochette will likely not return to competition. That leaves. . . well, Markova is one bright light I guess.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Artifice

Artifice Guest

True and great champions are those who can also adapt to the rules and work with them, not against them. I'm getting sick of the comments negatively debating about the fact that this or this skater won thanks to rules that were favorable to them and won't help them in the future so they will lose, blahhh...

If a skater has managed to play with given rules I don't see why this skater couldn't play with other rules.
    There is no absolute truth about what is real perfect skating, especially under the current system that has set criterias for points that can be changed. There are a lot of variables and many different opinions.
    Athletes who adapt the best become the bests. Yu Na proved it and I don't see why she could'nt adapt the same with changing rules. She has specific qualities but she worked very hard too, and that work is a huge part of her success. She would work the same in the future if she wants to.
    Same for Mao, she hasn't showed the best adaptation to the system this past season, but she can do it. She has her strenghts as well and the capacity to maximize points.
    So, it will be to the skater who adapts the best next year and who is the most motivated for it.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I find it amusing how some people manage to dig out negativity from whatever Yu Na Kim says.

Of course, she has a lot of pressure on her shoulders.
    But it shouldn&#8217;t be overlooked that all her pressures stem from the fact that she is a great skater and a fabulous individual.
    High expectations and love of her adoring fans is a prize for all her hard work and achievements, not a burden.
    She has everything going for her, and she should soke it all in.
    From observing her recent activities, i.e. Time 100 party, cheering for World Cup, promoting Korea&#8217;s bid for winter Olympics, etc., she seems happy and just fine.

I also don&#8217;t understand what makes you think she can't handle pressure.
    She had the most pressure by far during the Olympics but we all know Yu Na Kim was not the skater who choked badly.
    Didn&#8217;t you see her smirking at her closest competitor&#8217;s SOHL before she entered the ice for her SP?
    Do you actually think she will give up her life&#8217;s prize just because it brings her a little more pressure that she has no problem dealing with?
    Her competitors might be dying to fill her shoes, but they should earn it with hard work, rather than wishing for her early retirement. LOL

Let me add that I&#8217;m not a bit surprised by her using &#8220;horrendous&#8221; in response to questions regarding her intent to compete in Sochi.
    It was a cruel question to ask a girl who has just finished long and grueling over 10 year long campaign to achieve her ultimate goal.
    She should really be given some breathing room.

Also, what's the big deal about her being concerned about gaining weight?
    Before making a fuss, just go out in the street and ask any 19 year old girl if she was concerned about looking slim.
    Although degree may vary, Yu Na Kim is not the only person wanting to eat delicious food but worried about getting out of shape.

Yu Na Kim tends to be very candid when she gives interviews.
    IMO, people should appreciate her openness and willingness to interact.
    I hope some people are not trying to twist her words in an effort to paint a negative image.

29. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

The article above was released by Reuter.

The photos by Reuter during the interview with Yu-Na.

photo 1. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na looks at her mobile phone during an interview with Reuters in Seoul May 14, 2010.

photo 2. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na smiles during an interview with Reuters

photo 3. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na smiles during an interview with Reuters 2

photo 4. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na reacts as she speaks to the media during an interview with Reuters

30. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

I think you are just keeping your eyes closed and your ears stuffed about how much the old rules were made to benefit Yuna highly and disadvantage other ladies and made them sunken. And did you forget the fact there were actually some rule changes in the past (from Torino to Vancouver) that nearly ruined Mao's jump arsenals and almost killed her?

hanca and (deleted member) like this.