Kiira Korpi's latest injury setback

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

2. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Wow, even on crutches with her foot in a cast, she is unbelievably beautiful. Of course , I wish her a speedy recovery.

3. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I'm not even a fan but gosh, this poor woman has been through enough. I'm sure she has her down moments but she keeps them private; she seems to have a great attitude and a lot of determination. I wish her well.

4. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Damn Im so bummed about these news. Ive always loved Kiira skating when she's on (rarely I Know). Must be so frustrating and now what about Turkkila? She'll have to fight for a spot she's not even sure she would get in case Kiira recovers.

5. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

:(

Go Kiira !

:love:

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I am soo sorry. :( Am looking forward to her skating. It must be disappointing considering it's Olympic season. Heal well and fast Kiira. I still hope to see you skating soon.

7. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

NOOO. NO NO NO.

:mad: :mad:

DAMN IT :wuzrobbed Why her? Again? And an Achilles tendon to boot. Damn. It.

I can only imagine how tough and deflating this news must have been to her, on an Olympic season non the less. And yet she tweets about not giving up and taking what life gives you in stride????

#TrueInspiration #RoleModel #ToughAsNails #Class #InKiiraIBelieve

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine how horrible this must be for her, to have torn the Achilles twice?

9. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

The olympics would definitely not be as interesting without her

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't know how she can come back from a complete rupture by February. That seems impossible.

ETA: I see it was a partial tear, the article first uses the word rupture but it is probably a translation error.

The problem with a partial tear is that it will not hold up to Olympic level training. She will probably need surgery for it to hold but will she have time to recover and get back to training?

11. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

(((kiira))) Hoping her quick and full recovery.

I love this tweet. Love her.

12. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Poor Kiira :wall:

13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

This is just do wrong. She has been injured so often, has came back with a fighting attitude. But this is hard for her, hard for Juulia Turkkila, who now fights for the Olympic place and has lots of pressure in her shoulders.
    Korpi has never been able to show her true potential. FS in Moscow GP last year was near that. It would be wonderful to see the current, artistically matured Korpi to skate one competition without injuries. She deserves it.

14. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Evan Bates, and to an extent, Surya Bonaly.

15. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

That's really unfortunate. How about go to Hongbo's doctor/rehab team? I read that they "stitched" Hongbo's completely ruptured Achilles tendon which made it stronger than before the injury. But not sure if it would work just as well for singles. Pairs just need three sets of jumps. The good thing is that she hurt her left foot, not the toe-picking/landing foot. or is she a counter rotator? Can't remember. But it's really too bad. I just started liking her skating this past season and now this. Wish her a speedy recovery!

16. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

I wonder who will replace Kiira at Skate Canada, since she has been crossed off the list of competitors...? :confused:

17. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

It may not be her landing leg, but it's the picking leg for toe-loop, take off leg for salchow and axel, is the skating leg on the flip and lutz, and the take off leg for any flying spin bar maybe an arabian entrance, and the spinning leg for any forward spin....it is likely better thana n injury to her landing leg, but will still seriously impede her skating, though she would probably get the triple loop back quickly.

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Straightening your spinning leg on a torn Achilles for forward camels would be torture :scream:.

19. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

This is horrible news and awful luck. I would think that anything that involves your feet and legs would be excruciatingly painful. I sure wish her luck

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She should be chosen by Skate Canada from the Top Five on the substitutions list, as described in the GP Announcement:
    • Imai (RC)
    • Popova (none)
    • Zhang (CoC)
    • Lacoste -- N/A, already at Skate Canada
    • Gosviani (RC)

There may also be the possibility the comeback skaters can be added after the spring deadline for initial selections, since, in the past, split couples that got together after the deadline may have, in which case, maybe Ando, since the Japanese Fed is making an exception for her to compete at Nebelhorn.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  21. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Kiira just tweeted on Twitter:
    "This is the week that my rehab starts to get a little more intense. :) No surgery needed, yess!!"

22. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

^^ Good news!

23. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Kiira!!! :D
    25 today!

24. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

A bittersweet birthday, with the hopes of the Olympic place crushed. :wuzrobbed

25. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

^^ Indeed.

Happy Birthday to Kiira, get well soon!

26. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

:encore:HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THEE MOST GORGEOUS LADY IN FIGURE SKATING TODAY!:encore:

4-time Finnish National Champion, 3-time European Medalist, 2-time Olympian, not bad for a lady that's only a 1/4 century old today. And she's just getting started. :hat1:

27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to Kiira. Glad to hear that she won't need surgery, and wishing her successful rehab! :encore:

28. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Hyvää syntymäpäivää Kiira!!! :cheer:

I wonder what her season will look like - First the injury, and now probably no chance to go to the Olympics, I wonder if we'll see her at all this year? :(

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  29. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Belated Happy Birthdays wishes to the lovely and luminous KIIRA!

30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Belated happy birthday to one of the most beautiful figure skaters, Kiira.:rockstar: