Kiira Korpi's latest injury setback

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Article in Finnish: http://yle.fi/urheilu/kiira_korpi_karsi_valtavan_takaiskun/6832667

Via Google Translate:

Figure skater Kiira Korpi has suffered another setback. Korpi will have to leave at least the beginning of the season competitions between the Achilles tendon in his left leg was found to rupture. It is not yet known if injury requires surgery.

California farewell speech prepared Korpi was injured last week's exercises. Korpi felt a strong effort in the bet and the pain in the left leg calf. MRI scans revealed a partial tear in the left leg of the Achilles tendon.

Korpi tweeted Instagram photos earlier today:

http://instagram.com/p/eT63JrkAWl/
    "Doctor told me some bad news. :( My Achilles tendon was partially torn last Tuesday while jumping on the ice. I will go to Finland for further examination and rehab. I hope to come back on the ice soon and be stronger than before!"

http://instagram.com/p/eT8LowkAXt/
    "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it. -Lou Holtz #positiveattitude #notgivingup #achillestendontear"

Juulia Turkkila will replace Korpi at Nebelhorn Trophy, Sept. 25-28, and attempt to qualify an Olympic ladies' spot for Finland. This unfortunate news was first posted in the Nebelhorn Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry - link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ior-B-comp-)&p=3995544&viewfull=1#post3995544

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. matti

matti Active Member

3. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

:fragile: It seemed things were going so well for her at the Arutunian camp.

4. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to having her back on the scene. Best wishes for a swift recovery.

(Is there any realistic hope of salvaging any part of the season, particularly Olys, I wonder?)

5. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

No no no :(

6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

She has no chance at Olys no matter how fast she recovers unless Turkkila earns a spot at Nebelhorn. :( Very sad news, I was looking forward to seeing her again too.

7. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

So depressing.

(((Finnish ladies and their injuries)))

All the best Kiira.

8. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

:mad:

Get it together Kiira!

I am sure she could still go to Nebelhorn and put out a few doubles and still get a spot with the ridiculously high components she gets.....

9. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Was she in the united states when this happened?

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Poor Korpi. Wishing her a speedy recovery. Is it just me or do a lot of Arutunian skaters get injured?

I wonder how motivated Turkkila would be at Nebehorn.

11. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

It's terrible. I don't think she can make it to Nebelhorn. Best wishes for her quick recovery.

In my calculation, to earn a Finnish spot Juulia Turkkila needs to place 3rd or higher at Nebelhorn among those from a country seeking an Olympic spot. It's definately doable for her, if she's prepared.

12. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Why do you think she needs 3rd or higher? The top six countries without an Olympic spot earn one here. If any spots go unused, the 7th-highest skater then gets the spot, and so on.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Feel sad for Kiira :( Hope she will have chance to skate in Sochi. Oh, this injuries/
    Get well soon!

14. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

Is that right? I mistakenly thought Olympic spots for singles were fixed at 30. In that case, the chances for Finnish ladies to get that spot are very good.

15. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

:( Poor Kiira, I hope she recovers well and soon

16. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Oh, not again! I am so terribly sorry :(. I will be really sad for her if she doesn't get to skate in Olympics.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Poor girl! It's even worse when it happens in an Olympic season.

18. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

24 slots are filled from Worlds (for ladies and men). It is not necessarily the top 24 finishers. Yu-na Kim earned three spots for South Korea, for example, even though she was the only entry at the event. Skaters such as Kerstin Frank (AUT) will still have to qualify for Sochi, even though she made the final free skate at Worlds. The other 6 slots are earned at Nebelhorn, as well as slots that may open due to a country not using an entry.

19. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

(((((Kiira))))))))). It must be so frustrating for her :-( Everything seemed to be back on track after her big move to California... Wishing her a speedy recovery!!!

20. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

That clears up for me, thanks. I thought countries which finished top 24 at Worlds would get at least one spot. I understand now that Austria, Australia and Spain still need to qualify for ladies spots.

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

How incredibly frustrating! I hope she gets better quickly.

22. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

What about the GP? Kiira probably won't be ready for Skate Canada in less than 6 weeks.

23. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

My sympathies. :(

Achilles tendon injuries are the worst, and in some cases career ending (e.g. Sarah Abitbol). The only successful comeback from such an injury I can recall is Hongbo Zhao. He's the exception to the rule. Jmho.

Best of luck to Kiira and Finland. :)

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Via Google Translate:

Figure skater Kiira Korpi has suffered another setback. Korpi will have to leave at least the beginning of the season competitions between the Achilles tendon in his left leg was found to rupture. It is not yet known if injury requires surgery.

California farewell speech prepared Korpi was injured last week's exercises. Korpi felt a strong effort in the bet and the pain in the left leg calf. MRI scans revealed a partial tear in the left leg of the Achilles tendon.

25. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

So sorry to hear this. Wishing Kiira the best and praying she has a complete recovery.

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Poor girl just never seems to catch a break. This is terrible timing (not that there is ever a good time for a partial achilles tear), but I hope she'll still come back regardless of what happens at Nebelhorn and have a strong season.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

It says on the fed's website that she will miss at least the first competitions of the season, which I assume will include the GPs too.

And honestly, when you're looking like this and you've already had a lot of injury troubles before, it surely doesn't sound too good for the rest of the season either. Especially if she's going to need surgery. I'm glad she herself is optimistic.

ETA: On some sports article about achilles tendons it mentioned that injuries like this may take up to 6-9 months to heal.

This. Has any other top level skater had as many injuries as her? :(

28. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I just hope she will be able to fully recover and end her career on a high note, whether it is this season or next season, doesn't matter. I hope this doesn't force her to retire like Laura. That would be so sad :(

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't know if she'd be ready for the Olympics, but this leaves Turkkilla and either Rantanen or Kuparinen to earn a Ladies spot for Finland at Nebelhorn. 29 countries vie for six spots. Usually one or two qualifying countries are not sent by the NOC, and qualifying 7th or even 8th might be a nail-biter, but could mean an Olympic spot.

30. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Feel sorry for her, it has to be discouraging