Kid Cons Way into Harvard (and Out of Bowdoin)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 18, 2010.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Adam Wheeler falsified his transcripts and etc., to get himself accepted as a transfer student at Harvard... after having been dismissed from Bowdoin due to academic dishonesty.

Harvard only realized what he'd done in his senior year, when he applied for Fulbright and Rhodes scholarships by listing someone else's work as his own. One of the profs reviewing the scholarship applications recognized the listed work as being that of a fellow professor, and thus not the student's.

Wheeler is being brought up on charges, including larceny, due to having, basically, stolen the over $45k in financial aid he'd received in order to pay for his schooling.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...accused_of_falsifying_documents_from_harvard/

Interestingly, he was denied an internship at McLean Hospital because they found that he'd lied on his application. See, McLean did a background check. But for Harvard, the kid somehow was able to falsify and submit fake SAT scores, MIT transcripts, Phillips Academy transcripts, false professor references, etc, and got in without a second glance.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

He'll probably write a book, make a million dollars and be hired by some big corporation as their CEO.

3. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I agree with you rfisher.

He's obviously intelligent. He's just not channeling it in the right direction.

4. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

This reminds me of the guy in the movie "Catch Me If You Can." Sounds like he would be useful to the CIA, NSA or some other similar organization.

5. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Or Goldman Sachs.

6. GarrAarghHrumph

Yeah... if they could actually trust him. Which they cannot.

I hate to laugh, but :lol:

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yes. Remember, Frank Abagnale (subject of "Catch Me If You Can") only went straight and started teaching the FBI to catch check-forgers after he discovered there are worse things than US prisons (like French prisons.) And all he did was teach them how to get people doing what he did--the CIA and NSA do not want someone they can't trust.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

Wheeler has plead not guilty.

He'd applied to transfer to Yale when he first got caught at Harvard. His Yale application was denied because Yale had called his parents to check up on some things, and his parents told them he'd been booted from Harvard, and why.

9. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I guess he likely didn't learn about lying from his parents. Good for them exposing his lies.

10. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Only in America!

11. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

No Adam in my family, luckily :)

12. GarrAarghHrumph

Whew!

13. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Why would he plead not guilty, when it seems obvious there's a lot of proof he did it?

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hey, whatever happened to that girl who plagiarized a book to get into Harvard?

15. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Ten bucks says he claims some kind of addiction and goes into rehab. It works for celebrities.

16. GarrAarghHrumph

It's not unusual for someone to plead not guilty at first. He can change this later if he needs to, or if he works out a plea deal.

It's also possible that he feels he's guilty of certain of the accusations, but not of others. The one I'm thinking won't stick is using a fake degree, as he never actually obtained a degree.