Kick *ss witches – looking for a fun book series to read

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Desperado, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Supernatural book lovers, I need your help!

Last year, I read the first six books of Kim Harrison's Hollow Series and really enjoyed them, particularly the witchcraft aspect. After a while though, I got tired of the repeated and continuous angst and the stupid choices the lead character kept making.

I've been trying to find a replacement series and have had very little luck. I found this fun site – http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/ that claims to direct you to books similar to the ones you've enjoyed, but so far none of the choices panned out. Most options I've investigated involve too much sappy romance. I'm OK with the lead character having love interests, but I can't stomach reading anything involving a “big strong guy soul mate taking care of the frail and needy witch for as long as they both shall live”. I'm looking at you Lilith Saintcrow!

Does anyone have suggestions of similar series? Your help would be super appreciated. I can offer my reviews of other supernatural series in exchange. :)

2. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

What I've been reading isn't exactly associated with witchcraft or wicca but rather the discussion of it and the paranormal. I've been reading books by Sylvia Browne for the past few years. I found one of her books, Phenomenon, to be quite interesting. Everything from Akashic Records to Zarathushtra (A to Z) is covered in this book.

I'm not sure if this may be of interest to you but here is a link to Sylvia's website:

http://books.sylviabrowne.com/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Desperado and (deleted member) like this.
  3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Have you read Mercedes Lackey's "Elemental Masters" series? I enjoyed them very much - lots of new (to me) ideas in magics and rules. I especially liked the groups of magicians working together to fight evil who reappear in the later books to help new characters in their own stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Masters-Mercedes-Lackey/lm/R36EP6MRR2DHMG

She also wrote a series of updated fairy tales that are very light-hearted love stories. Not quite bodice-rippers, imo, but more entertaining and humorous than the Elemental Masters series. The series is called the "Tales of the 500 Kingdoms" and there's some character crossover, but it fades as the series goes on, ending up with a guest appearance now and then from The Fairy Godmother and her Consort.

http://www.amazon.com/500-Kingdom-Series-Mercedes-Lackey/lm/RMTXLANTSRGR6

There's supposed to be a new book in the 500 Kingdoms series this summer: "Beauty and the Werewolf."

4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Some of Terry Pratchett's books have some feisty witches in them. And they're funny, too. :)

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

These look really interesting - thank you!

In the genre, I've only read the first three Black Jewels novels from Anne Bishop. They were dark, but extremely enthralling. After a while though, the level of violence and the sexual abuse aspects (especially regarding children) were too much for me.

7. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Have u tried " A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0670022411/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/178-4330391-3949847

The main protagonist is a somewhat reluctant witch and a historian of alchemy at Oxford. There are also vampires and other random supernatural beings to add to the entertainment. :cheer: Disclaimer: There is most definitely a sappy romance aspect of the book with a big strong guy wanting to protect the not so frail witch. It is however slightly better written? So maybe not you're thing. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  8. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Yes, I took up Headology thanks to Granny Weatherwax...

9. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I was gonna reply to this thread just to mention the Discworld witch books by Terry Pratchett, but I'm the third to post about them instead. :)

10. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Not a witch, but the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn is very good, especially if you like strong, independent women.

The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs is good too.

11. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Sorry for the multiple posts...

This one is a witch series, I don't know if it's available beyond kindle and/or nook: Jolie Wilkins series by H.P. Mallory. The first book is Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble. Price is right too, I think it was 99 cents...

H.P. Mallory also wrote To Kill A Warlock: Dulcie O'Neill series.

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I really like Patricia Briggs' Mercedes Thomson series (in spite of the fact that she found her soul mate, LOL!). Her sixth one should be out really soon. I also really enjoy Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels Series.

I had heard of the Kitty Norville books but never got around them for some reasons - thank you for the reminder.

13. Former Lurve Goddess

Former Lurve Goddess Active Member

14. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Her sixth one is out now. If romance is not your thing, then...um...:shuffle: I have a review of it in the book thread, I think.

15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If you want a fluff-chick-lit series with a witchcraft theme (I thought she did a decent job of representing modern witchcraft, though I admit I only know a bit about it) I really liked the Girls Guide to Witchcraft series from Mindy Klasky. I think there are 3 books, the others being Sorcery and the Single Girl and Magic and the Modern Girl.

You can find used copies pretty cheap, and they are quick reads, so it wouldn't be a great investment to see if you like the first one.

16. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

I worship at the feet of Granny Weatherwax but am probably more of Magrat, at least I was in my younger days :shuffle:

No real witch book recommendations but I do like Terry Pratchett. He has a YA set of books set in the Discworld universe that follow the development of a young "chalk witch". The writing is a bit on the simple side (due to the books being YA, I presume) but nonetheless enjoyabe. So if those sound interesting, here's a link to more information. They can be read as a stand alone set but it's better if you have some background from the rest of the Discworld series.

17. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Magrat's daughter's name always makes me laugh... :rofl:

Okey dokey, back to witches:

From the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong: "Dime Store Magic" and "Industrial Magic," "Waking the Witch," and "Spellbound."

I especially like these because the main character's strength comes from her inner fortitude and intelligence rather than her magical powers. The romantic interest is definitely a helpmate and partner, a very non-traditional yet attractive male.

18. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

When I saw the original post, the first thing that came to mind is Nora Roberts' Three Sisters trilogy. They were witches. If you are looking for light spring/summer reading and not something too intense, that is. And I think her Key trilogy was also about magic? It's been awhile since I read either of those series.

19. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

You could also try Madelyn Alt's Bewitching series.

If you're into psychic protagonists with a dash of humor, try Victoria Laurie.

Great thread BTW. I love this genre too. I've spotted a few authors I didn't know about from the other suggestions listed. Off to the Kindle store I go!

20. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Hello and thanks again!

I just realized going through my LibraryThing that I've read the first of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series - Bitten. I don't remember why I stopped there though, but maybe it was the werewolf thing. I read a bunch on the same theme and might have gotten tired of the "alpha male behaviour", LOL. :lol: I did enjoy the canadian setting though. I'll try them again.

I've never heard of Madelyn Alt's Bewitching series or that Nora Roberts had a witches trilogy. I'll check them out.

21. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Don't forget about the library! They'll have the older books in a series and if you like them, then you can buy the newer ones.

22. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I didn't like the werewolf ones in that series either...the wtch themed books were much better...

23. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I would suggest Southern Witch Series by Kimberly Frost. It is a paranormal romance(yes, that is a genre) but I just love the lead heroine, Tammy Jo. It's witty and good witch series. It's on going and the third book was released in January.

Book 1, Would-Be Witch
    Book 2, Barely Bewitched
    Book 3, Halfway Hexed

Another series is Elemental Assasins by Jennifer Estep. It is a violent series but the books are so well written and there is nothing weak about the lead character, Gin Blanco. Gin is probably the strongest female lead character I've read since Anita Blake. Quote about the series from the author's website.

I started the series on audiobook last year and fell in love with the series.

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
    Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
    Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)

Another Assassin series that is really really good, Sabrina Kane series by Jaye Wells. Sabrina is assassin but she's half vampire and half mage which are mortal enemies in the book. So Sabrina has had a hard existence and she's considered an outsider on both communities.

Book 1, Red-Headed Stepchild
    Book 2, A Mage In Black
    Book 3, Green Eyed Demon.

I couldn't get into the Kelley Armstrong books. Funny how you read a werewolf series and didn't like alpha male thing(that's the whole werewolf culture/pack thing). I like a strong female lead, maybe that's why I don't read too many werewolf series, except for Kitty Norville.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  24. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I love browsing the library for new authors and series. The only drawback is that a given branch might not have the entire series on their shelves, but you can often "reserve" the missing novels from another branch and pick up it locally.

25. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I love the library's "reserve" option - that way I can afford to try tons of different authors, including the great suggestions I've gotten here.

I've now started Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson. It's not bad, but so far it's pretty "witch light" and has tons (read too many) werewolves for my taste...