Khokhlova/Novitski - current status & future plans?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. coquelicot

coquelicot New Member

I don't have time to translate the whole thing at the moment, but just on a brief note, they don't say anything about retirement or even sitting out a season. They seem to be more focused on getting his health back on track and proceed from there. I am not quite sure where the whole retirement rumors came from (there was nothing in Russian media that I know of), I still think they've got quite a future ahead of them, if he is able have his injury taken care of. I think the whole retirement thing is rather someone's wishful thinking. ( and I hope that's all it is) :D

3. MorganaLefay

MorganaLefay Active Member

wow there is a lot in it--mostly pointless banter by the hosts. but both Yana and Sergei sound very nice, especially Sergei, very well spoken, balanced and reasoned. No whining. Nothing definitive about the plans but nothing about retirement as well. The situation with the knee is bad enough to prevent them even from show skating for now.

4. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

I hope he can heal. I want to see their revival :)

5. Arianna

Arianna New Member

the rumors come from those who are close to Kh/N and who are hinnting at Sergei having really serious health problems.

6. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for the translations! This is absolutely fantastic news for me if it's true. They are the best, most original ice dancers around and have re-sparked my interest in ice dance, which was in the doldrums since A/P retired, and I am really glad to hear there is a chance they will continue. I was crushed to think this was the end for them.

Does it say anywhere exactly what his problems are? I have heard his knee, his head [from a car accident] and some hereditary disease that killed his father. [And please God, I hope you dont tell me it's all of them].

7. coquelicot

coquelicot New Member

In the article above they only mention the knee. So hopefully he'll be able to get that fixed up. I really like this team as well. Night on the Bold Mountain was stunning!

BTW, I've heard all kinds of other rumors as well, sounds like that's just what they are, offseason rumors. First K&N "retire" then R&S, and neither team confirms anything, R&S were actually quite surprised to hear it themselves! The only confirmed split are Mukhortova/Trankov and it didn't come from the so called sources, but from Maxim himself. Now, that, I believe. ;)

8. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

George Rossano reported that they retired during the World Championships. Maybe he misunderstood? Maybe he's correct?

9. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Yes it was! And clearly showed that COP does not have to result in boring, insipid dances. IMO Firebird is also a masterpiece in the making. It's just a real shame they did not have the time to perfect their performance - that choreography is hands down the best of the season.

10. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Who is George Rossano?

11. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

George Rossano is the webmaster for IceSkating International; they do a lot of the competition reviews. K&N's alleged retirement was also mentioned by Andrea Joyce during the warm up for the next to last group of skaters in the FD at Worlds.

I hope the rumors about Sergei are proven to be wrong. Especially since they made it sound as if he was very ill and/or injured.

12. Melly80

Melly80 New Member

I also hope, they'll be able to continue skating/competing and that Sergei will be fine/healthy again soon. They're amazing dancers and they haven't been around too long, at least they still seem pretty "new" to me. (I consider every team new until they've been around as long as Drobiazko/Vanagas were):lol:

13. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

They retired from the dance competition at Worlds, but there was no press release or statement from them about retiring from competition for good. The press release about their withdrawal only mentioned the knee injury and had quotes from Sergei and the coach.
    Maybe it was a kind of misunderstanding.

14. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Funny the use of the word "retired". I've never heard it used to refer to a team withdrawing during a competition. Guess we'll know for sure this summer.

15. coquelicot

coquelicot New Member

Could be a language thing.
    Either way, there were interviews with K&N after Worlds (such as the one above), never did they mention anything about retiring to the Russian press.This type of thing usually makes the news. Also, there's nothing on their official site regarding retirement either.

16. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

The press release actually used the word "withdraw" ("K/N have withdrawn...").
    I just used the word "retired" in my post, knowing the sort of double meaning here.

17. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

18. Arianna

Arianna New Member

never heard of any hereditary disease :eek:
    yes, the knee is only part of the problem. the rumors are he still undergoes the consequences of brain concussion. they say he didn`t feel OK during all the season. the situation is rather like with Shabalin - he was back on ice when he still had to recover :wall:

19. sbanet

sbanet Well-Known Member

In European competition, the terminology of "retired" is often used in the same manner as "withdraw/withdrawn" is in the states.

20. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

The language comment does make sense. I have heard the word retired used before rather than withdraw in reference to skaters not being able to finish the competition yet for some reason that never occured to me in relation to K&N's situation in Vancouver.

So it is possible that K&N had to withdraw because of injury but will compete next season. tapdancer is right, we will find out later this summer.

21. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

If Rossano's website is your only source that confirms it, then its a pretty good bet its only a rumor. His site is like The National Enquirer of the skating world. He/they like to break news and post gossip and speculation but half the time its just guesses...

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Amazing, so powerful and interesting !

23. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Does it even matter what the future plans of K/N are? I mean, its clearly over for them. They've gone from 3rd at worlds in 08 to what a 8th or 9th place finish at olympics less than 2 years later. They will never see another world podium again. It obvious especially with his health concerns. The Russian team that won jr worlds this year is clearly the future of Russian ice dancing and they will be the ones who will be pushed.

As one Russian ice dance team goes up the other one will go down. ;)

24. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up on them if they come back next season.They had crap OD and FD at the start of the season .Firebird was much better but they needed more time with it .
    With better programmes and rest they still can :kickass: IMO

25. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I think a healthy K/N would still be Russia's top team. When they are on they are amazing. They were sacrificed last year for D/S - they should easily have beaten them, but Piseev and his wife were playing favorites. With them gone, let's hope the skating will be judged on its merits.

26. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

"knock out" doesn't exist in figure skating:cool:

27. marishka9

marishka9 New Member

I am 99% sure K/N at this present stage are not a couple looking to skate toghter next year:duh:

28. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

Can you tell us why you are sure? :)

29. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know what you base this on. Do you know them personally or this just something you've heard?

And assuming you are right [and I hope youre wrong] and they cannot skate together anymore, is Jana looking for a new partner?

30. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

And if so, who on earth is she likely to choose?