Kharis RALPH Asher HILL

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pani, Sep 27, 2011.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

New FD
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Tatjana2541#p/u/1/JuP_uX0qXIk
    I must say - i am a fan. There FD look so difficult and have so many interesting moves. And entery into this rotational lift :swoon:
    i know it will be hard for them to take place in team for WCh, but i cant waite to see this interesting dance at GP/

2. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Wow, they look quite improved with a far more mature look on ice since last season, and I too like this new FD and am interested in watching it devlop over the season.

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I loved it. What an improvement for previous years. I think a little tweaking and perhaps some more "attitude" will benefit them. Love the rotational lift, and the elements go with the music very nicely........cudos to them. Correct me if I'm wrong but they will be at Skate Canada, right?

4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

They will be at SA. Sad they will have nly 1 GP event.

5. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:):) I'm really pleased with their improvement ! ( There's always room for more, but finally, I think they're going in the right direction )

I don't know where they would be on the points list in case of teams withdrawing. Could they be in line for a possible 2nd. assignment ?

I think this dance could be very good for them at Nationals , anyway.

6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see her in a lovely costume for a change!
    I like this team a lot.

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I like it.. I think they might have more success with this one than the one from last season

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I too love this new program. Hopefully this will develop in the right direction over the season.

9. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I do think they look more mature, definitely an improvement over last season. But I could hardly make it through this program because of the music, not their skating. Really don't like the music. And another thing I noticed...he's improved more than her. I found myself watching him more. But overall, they have definitely made strides in their presentation.

10. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:lol: That's odd..I think she's the one who shows greater improvement.

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

12. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:lol: Thank goodness her costume is now more filled in !

13. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I agree they have improved. Their FD looks quite good for this time of the season. Lots of difficulty, transitions, complex holds. Unfortunately she'll never have the look of a dancer with her body type. She still needs to work on posture - she's still piking forward at the waist and her shoulders look up in her ears.

It will be interesting to see if they can challenge Paul & Islam.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  14. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I thought Kharis' shoulders looked much improved in the FD but not so much here.. and Asher is still noticeably sway-backed. But some improvements have been made.
    The corrections they needed to make in their posture are going to take more than a few summer months to correct. I hope they keep up with their increased dance training..
    I hope they lose the series of chest-drops at the end ( a hold over from their African program )..just because you can do something doesn't mean it suits you.;)

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

What?!?! She looks very well proportioned and healthy in the Nebelhorn clip. What is this alleged problem with her "body type"? And I don't see her shoulders being up in her ears, either.

16. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

She just doesn't have that long-legged, lean body type that a lot of female ice dancers have. It would help if she pointed her toes more.

As for her posture, it's definitely not great. To me she looks very stiff through the shoulders and because she doesn't have a long neck, her shoulders look "up" and therefore tense.

That said, I really do see improvements in this team. Their FD is looking great for this time of the year. Perhaps with C&Ps split, they were getting more attention this summer.

Curious to see if they'll be able to challenge P&I for that 3rd spot to worlds.

17. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)There's no use pretending that problems don't exist or haven't existed in the past. R/H have needed to work on these areas for at least a couple of years. ( And I would argue should have been all along.)

There's no use pretending that some skaters don't have a less ideal body type than others , and don't need to make an effort to compensate..Every skater needs to be able to look at themselves with a critical( in a good way ) eye....Look at Mery'ls stretch and attention to position ,which compensates for not having long legs. (Her comment about her one wish would be to have longer legs , shows her awareness of her own physical make up .)

According to Carol Lane's interview with pj , R/H have been doing much more dance than usual over the summer ( Better late than never.)

I'm very glad to see progress being made , but there's more yet to be done.

Kharis kept her shoulders down through pretty well all of their FD , but not in the SD , especially in the faster parts.If she keeps up the extra dance training ,it will become natural to raise her arm, but not her shoulder.

It should also result in better stretch , point and leg position for both , and much needed improvement in the way Asher holds his back.

We haven't seen them yet , but if P/I are healthy and have continued their own progress , I don't think R/H can challenge for 3rd . They could very well hold on to 4th ahead of H/G , though.

18. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Given the near 20 point difference between them and H/G, I'd say fourth is pretty secure (barring Gilles/Poirier storming the gates).

That said, I think Meryl could afford to pay even more attention to position than she does, but we might be talking about different things.

19. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)Well, I wasn't trying to take this thread on a " let's critique Meryl " trip.

My point is about striving to improve in all areas. In the years I've been watching Meryl, she's always improving,trying to make the most of her attributes ... and that ethic is universal at her club.

It hasn't been universal at R/H's school , the same faults have been obvious , to one degree or another, in many , many of their skaters. So this improvement in R/H is very encouraging to me ... I'm hoping the same effort will filter down the ranks.

20. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I like the FD quite a bit, but I do wish they would not use Harlem Nocturne for the Rhumba in the SD. That so does not work to set a Latin mood.

And I also noticed the improvement in Kharis-it's very hard to change things as basic as posture and stretch, and neither happens over night. I'm sure they will continue working on these issues now that they obviously understand that work is needed.

And Kharis' FD costume was also a nice one this year. The SD one, I understand has changed since summer competitions? It could use to change a bit more.

21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I won't speak about the technical improvement, which is obviously there, but the dance itself is pretty :blah: for me. Just another tango, which doesn't stand out in a way. Some single elements might be cool, but the dance as a whole is just boooooring.

And I say that just because I sincerely loved their last season's FD and this one is just such a disappointment after that.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, i think you wish a lot from them. :) This team first time had some more attention from there coaches, spend time in summer in dance class and first of time have normal FD :D I like there african OD in juniors, but i think they had too much dances in african style before. Fnd i think only people who hate them could say there last year SD costumes were great :lol:
    They have a lot of things to improve in there skating, but what i like the most in there tango - Ashers hands, his hands dancing in this FD, wich i didnt saw in most tangos, wich i saw in ice dance before.
    And i dont think they will be higher then P-I at Nationals, but this could be good rivality in future, if they will continie to improve there skating.

23. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

pani, I completely agree with you.

24. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I think African dancing is a very broad category, so for me a team could skate only to African dances and still show a lot of range. samba, for instance, has African roots being tied to a history of slavery.

I thought the SD costumes were great for an exhibition....but I felt that their SD did not do them any favours in terms of urging the judges to see them as a mature, senior-level team. I really like this team, though, and look forward to seeing them progress.

I love what you said about Asher's hands! It is so great that you pick up on such details, and ITA!

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Great debut at GP this season! God luck tomorrow! I like when both Asher and coach support Haris - look sweet.

26. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Really liked the FD, but it looks like they struggled with technical levels. Still, a vast improvement over last season.

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

They had most difficult FD at this competition. Ow they could skate without any break?

28. care bear

care bear Active Member

It is a pleasure to watch them, love this FD.

29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Their FD was quite underscored, IMO.

30. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I LOVE their FD! Too bad about the scoring today! They have a new fan in me. Good luck to them this season! :cheer2: