Kevin van der Perren wants to try pair skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by la.louise, Sep 10, 2012.

1. la.louise

la.louise New Member

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/ander_nieuws/120909_van_der_perren_paarrijden
    According to this interview (a little written article and audio interview) Kevin van der Perren wants to try pairs. He says he still likes to skate and wants to try pair skating now. According to the article Kevin will have try outs with 3 possible partners soon. None of them are Belgian and it wonÂ’t be his wife.
    But in the interview he mentions just one possible partner. He says it will probably take some time because of different reasons: 1 He has to learn how to lift and skate with a partner etc 2 different nationalities 3 Money.
    On the question if he wants to skate at the Olympics in Sochi he answers that Sochi will be too soon, but he wants to skate at euros and worlds at some point. He thinks top 6 at euros must be possible with the right partner.

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Interesting! Worth trying to see how it will work out if he's still interested in skating.

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

This is a joke, right? He's 30 years old, with no pairs experience and a long list of past injuries. In addition, he is kind of short for a pairs skater, not to mention rather slow.

KvdP went out with a great skate in Nice and it seems like the best way to leave the sport. I don't get this, if the story's true.

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Didn't John Baldwin, Jr. begin skating pairs around age 30? He was a single skater for 20 yrs before I ever heard about him skating with Rena Inoue ca 2002/03. Anything is possible.

I just hope that Kevin doesn't try to skate Pairs with his lovely wife, Jenna, who is too tall and big boned for that. We don't want to see Kevin in traction!

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Does Belgium currently have any pair skaters? If not then it'd be easy for Kevin and partner to make the Belgium National Team.

6. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

He will have to move to a pair center..Chemnitz, Paris...I doubt he will have the funding to go to North America to do that.

7. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Some athletes just dont know when to stop...

8. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Then he'd be Kevin Vanderpairen

:rofl::dog::lol: Sorry, couldn't resist!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

so if he comes back again, this will his nth comeback ? :confused:

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Or first in a different discipline since he would still be technically retired from singles ;). If he can find a good partner, I don't see how this could hurt. Belgium doesn't have any pairs right now and anything that would encourge growth in the sport would be a good thing.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

:rofl:

I doubt it will be successful, but good for him. There's no Belgian pair, so if he represents his home country then he's not taking away from anyone else, and the minimum score rules will ensure that he doesn't get to a championship unless the pair is decent. If he can go through finding a partner, learning to skate pairs, meeting all the requirements, and qualifying to the finals at a Euros/Worlds, he will certainly be deserving of his slot.

Maybe the federation is willing to pay for him to learn pairs and he thinks it will help him expand his horizons as a pro.

12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Does Belgium have a nice short female single skater out there? Or maybe they accept imports. I heard that Mary Beth Marley's great-grandmother was born in Belgium. (Just kidding but you get my drift.)

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

:lol: Missed rep opportunity.

How tall is he?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

or import one of the foreign/Russian babies like Kiri Baga or Agafonova ( originally a pairs skater ) who has struggled as singles now but she could be a great pairs skater and she's small.

15. kirkbiggestfan

Is Anais Morand looking for a partner or did she move on? There are decent French and German pair skaters looking for partners...

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

But that's the point. Would a "decent" pair skater from another country want to waste time and effort pairing with an old (for figure skating), short (for pair skating) skater with a long-standing history of back problems who has NEVER done pair skating before? And would have citizenship issues on top of it? Not likely.

17. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I didn't think reality ever played a part in speculation on potential pairs partners.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If the only available choices were the less-than-ideal scenario you outlined above & skating on your own for one year, trying to 'maintain skills' while hoping a better partner option becomes available next season, I'd say yes. A willing partner who has some ability and is willing to learn would be a better option that none at all.

19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He's like Rockne Brubaker's height. Right off the bat some big trouble. And he would have to learn how to throw and lift but if he wants to try to be a pairs skater that is very interesting.

20. kirkbiggestfan

The Belgium citizenship is not the hardest one to get...ask Bernard Arnault, the French Billionaire who is about to get it.:lol:

For some skaters, going to the olympics is the ultimate goal. I am not surprised he has already found ladies for try-outs. Now, I want names. :sekret:?

21. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

John skated singles and pairs (IIRC pretty successfully) while he was a junior, then focused on singles for a few years in the 90s before switching to focus on pairs with Rena in 2000. I think he was around 26 or 27 went they teamed up but he had a lot of prior experience with pairs.

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Why would a skater with history of back pain want to do pairs? His back will not appreciate the lifts, twists and thrown jumps.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:encore:

Some crazy American must have told him that pairs is the place to be if you can't handle singles. Riiiiight. I agree,with his history of back and hip problems this isn't a great idea.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He is still skating but cutting out quad training, 3A training, so the back is saved a lot of stress from not doing those things. I am sure his partner will be light because he is not that tall and it may not be as bad.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Life is too short to not go after your dreams. Life is not about succeeding or failing, it's about doing what you love and trying your best.

Van Der Perren is a great example to us all.

26. mag

mag Well-Known Member

This!!!

27. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

:respec:

28. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Well said! :cool:

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sitting out a year while learning how not to drop a woman on her head is probably a good thing.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am struggling to believe this is for real... Even though given VDP's longevity against all odds, I shouldn't really be surprised.

I really hope you are being sarcastic. ;)