Kevin Reynolds

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by arakwafan2006, Nov 21, 2011.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I watched him this weekend and for the first time i liked his skating ( short program) to be specific. The thing is... WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT HAIR? Honestly, i know that people are going to probably roast me because i am saying this but he looks so completely silly that its rediculous. The European broadcasters whom i prefer to hear were ttrying to be as nice as possibly but said something to the effect of " if you're going to do something so out there you have to have the stature and presence to pull it off." He is in my opinion saying to the judges "please dont take me seriously".

Am i the only one? Even the crowd couldnt control their laughter. Completely rediculous...

2. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I used to really despise his skating, but somehow, he's starting to grow on me. Mostly it's because of the unrealized potential that I think I see there. I wish he would find a new coaching team, and yes, I'd like for that team to start by toning his look down a bit. He could still have a spiky 'do, but what he's doing now is somewhat ridiculous. I could've sworn he was wearing a BumpIts in his short program.

Hair aside, I feel like he wants to be musical and I like his quirky short program music. I'm sure he has no problem doing triples, so I think that if a new coach worked with him on his "in-betweens", forgetting the under-rotated quads for now, he could really be something.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I also like his skating but the hair is ridiculous. And it clearly isn't quirky for the sake of the program, because he wears it like that for both of his programs.

4. arakwafan2006

His overall skating is underdeveloped. He is a smaller guy with almost no muscle to him so he sort of skates small! His stroking isnt powerful and his jumps are not hight BUT i think that a more mature look and workingon basic skills, transitions, power and presence will help him a lot. ALso, if we could actually see his face when he skates...

When you are at that level, its time out for "be an individual" unless you can back it up with the goods. Daisuke Takahashi sometimes has outrageous hair but his skating is so incredible, who cares? Kevin just does not make that impact so the packaging needs to change. There is just no way that a coach should let that foolishness go. I know coaches arent parents but COME ON! The spins are nice but the steps and impact... HELP!

5. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I have a question, has a senior, international level skater ever left Joanne McLeod? I know that lower level skaters have left, but if the center has some sort of real or perceived hold over the top skaters, perhaps the hair etc is just Kevin's way of rebelling.

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I like Reynolds SP this season. Its si fun :D
    But what happened with his hairs all time? :lol:

7. Louise

Louise Banned Member

But with all honesty, is there anything else to note about his skating? I like the hair, imagine how boring he'd be with a short 'do pulled to the side. You'd never notice him or remember him.

8. sequins

sequins Active Member

True but I think that's the problem. His hair is probably all they remember. IMO he can wear his hair however he wants. If he skated like Chan or Takahashi or Yags the hair would be mentioned but it would be a part of him and the total package of who he is, instead it's defining him because lately that's all there is. I use to have hope for Kevin but if he doesn't make a change soon I'm afraid it'll be too late.

9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Joanne McLeod apparently has no interest in teaching her skaters that they should be appropriately groomed when competing. Emanuel Sandhu wore heavy theatrical makeup that looked ridiculous under arena lighting, and poor Mira Leung desperately needed someone to help her with costuming, hair & makeup. Kevin can wear his hair any way he wants to when he's training, but if he wants to be taken seriously he needs to show some respect for the sport and tone it down when he's competing. There's no way a Brian Orser or a Frank Carroll would allow one of their students out on the ice looking like that, and Joanne McLeod shouldn't be letting Kevin do it either. A better coach would have dealt with this issue long ago.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

You know I kind of feel bad for picking on him about his hair. Because one of the things that made me start watching Adam Rippon was an interview where he said he really prefers his hair curly but his coach at the time always required him to straighten it. As a curly haired person, I hate that "straighten it" is the magical answer. So I don't really like the idea of a coach prescribing a hair style of any sort.

But Reynold's looks ridiculous- and it is clear he is styling it that way, he doesn't just have out of control hair that can't be tamed. He apparently has curly hair based on this picture: http://tracings.net/photos/2006cdns/002-reynolds.jpg
    Though I do think I like the straight look on him- just not the insane straight look.

12. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I think his hair and make up is great this season. He's found a look which really works. :cool: He did look a bit of a mess in the past, but this is a definite style. I love big hair on guys.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

14. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

His hair looks like a rat's nest and it totally obscures his face when he is skating. If he had better technique and managed to fully rotate and land the quads and the 3A, maybe he could be forgiven for his personal appearance. But as it is, he looks the way he skates: sloppy.

15. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I think Kevin Reynold's hair has been extremely effective, as evidenced by the fact that not a single person on this thread has commented on his large, oddly shaped nose.

nyrak and (deleted member) like this.
  16. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Plushenko's nose is large and oddly shaped, too. But that's where the resemblance ends. :p

17. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Well, er, yes :slinkaway

Sometimes one just has to look for something positive to say, you know? :lol:

18. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I think he looks much better with his hair curly if he keeps it short enough, like in this picture.

19. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Speaking of big noses, during the post-FD interview at TEB, I couldn't help but think of Pinnochio when Scott Moir was being interviewed. The greased down, straightened hair style didn't help matters; it only made the comparisons to the fabled wooden boy with the long nose more prevalent. :slinkaway

20. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

My opinion: I can't take Kevin seriously because of his ridiculous hair. I know I SHOULDN'T feel like that, but I do. To me, it greatly distracts from anything good he may do on the ice--I have a hard time looking at him. And I'm aware that others may not feel the same.

It's sad, because I believe he's a huge talent. If he actually gets all that jumping ability under control--wow.

21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think male-Rachael is unlucky that he skates for a country that recently produced Buttle and Chan.

If he skated for some obskure Euro or Asian country, no one would say anything about his poor skating and unflattering looks as long as he continued to land those quads.

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way about his hair no matter where he was from... ;)

23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I don't think Kevin is a "poor" skater. (He was skating injured last year, and was ill at TEB this year). He's had a bad "rap". I also think people make too much of his looks and his hair. He seems like a nice person, and doesn't deserve all this negativity directed towards him. :(.

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Kevin have a lot off fans. Did you saw this big bunners at TEB? One girl, who was in Paris, said me - Kevin had even more bunners, then Patrick

25. arakwafan2006

I guess as i was typing my initial thread, the question that came into examination is the idea of a coash "letting" a skater look this way or that. What can you really do if a skater who technically has you on payroll wants it his way? Technically, Kevin's coaches are on HIS payroll. I know that in a lot of coach/student relationships, the coach almost has absolute say in matters or at least collaborative/suggestive input on decisions of presentation but if Kevin really wants it what can a coach really do?

With that being said, i do have a first mind to think that Joanne could tell him to cut that S$#T off...

26. arakwafan2006

27. arakwafan2006

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH @ TREE!!! Tarasova perpetuates the ugliest costumes in the world of figure skating ever.

28. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

ITA.

29. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Well, a skater pays a coach to tell them what to do. If that's not going to be the case, then why bother to pay one at all? And skaters should listen to their coachs' advice on packaging. A lot of these coaches have been around and know the politiks of it all and how things generally work.

I wondered if Kevin had naturally curly hair, basically because his hair has so much body. A thinner haired person wouldn't be able to maintain that hairstyle with all of that whipping around in the air. I think the pictures of him with curly hair look great. I wish he would go back to his natural style.

30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Kevin has naturally curly hair that any woman (myself included) would envy. Obviously, he doesn't like it, and that's his prerogative AFAIAC. He wore his hair "au naturale" once (I believe) last year and there were complaints and jokes about that too........What do people want?..........for him to get buzzed?