Kevin Reynolds: "Plan B" Worked

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by overedge, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I'm just saying that Canada is lucky they have Chan or they might be like the Canadian Ladies and only have one spot because it doesn't seem like they have much depth beyond Patrick either.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

12th in the world with this year's senior men is nothing to sneeze at. Some big names didn't do as well.:rolleyes:

3. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

12th in the world with this year's senior men is nothing to sneeze at. Not naming names here, but some big names didn't do as well. :rolleyes:

4. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Toronto is 4.5 hours by plane, not close enough to commute :lol:
    Joanne always seems second rate to me, like she is pretending to be something she is not, I am not sure if Kevin would actually be any better with another coach, similar to Mira .... Ut I guess it would not hurt to try!

5. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

:lol:
    Yeah, I guess he would have to make a huge,complete move from Vancouver to Toronto.
    You never know when changing coaches,I guess. But when you look at the improvements other skaters have made by changing their environment,it makes you wonder what could be. Oh,well. I think it would take a miracle for Kevin to actually leave McLeod. Very frustrating. Wish somebody close enough to the situation would sit him down and tell him how it is.
    Heh,cause who are we in the end? Just strangers on the Internet speculating 'cause we want him to do better,w/o knowing everything and everyone involved...We mean well,but who knows?

6. aemeraldrainc

7. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

He's using the same SP as last season.

8. aemeraldrainc

My bad. I thought I had read he had new music for both short and long programs. I should have checked. :)

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

You must be new. Welcome to figure skating! And congrats to Kevin for playing his part in getting three men back to Worlds! :cheer2: :respec: :cheer:

Has "info" now been accepted as a synonym for "gossip"? :lol:

I also find the sport less enjoyable when FATASSES are forced into my view. Now if we can just find a way to kick those with big noses out of the sport...

/sarcasm

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

In this case, it's not gossip.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Do you mean youtube links, or links to written articles?

12. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

PeterG every time I think I can't love you more...

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What happens in Vancouver stays in Vancouver.

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

What? What? :sekret:

15. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

:slinkaway

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

A third is always welcomed.

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

No one is going to document in those forms what they've seen.
    If you talk to enough people who have spent time at 8 Rinks around that training centre, there's a pretty consistent set of stories that emerge. I see no reason to doubt those just because they aren't in an article or video.

18. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Get in line SpikeyD, I want in.

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

FREE KEVIN!!!!

20. spikydurian

:shuffle: :shuffle: You first jl22aries. I don't know what I am in for. :D

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Truer words were never spoken. :hat1:

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Since this old thread from early April was bumped up with Reynolds' SP video from the Ondrej Nepela Memorial, here are first-hand impressions posted in the Nepela competition thread in Kiss and Cry about his FS:
    Poggi's video of Reynolds' 2nd place FS (139.72), 4th overall at Nepela: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDDRu7gTJU
    Music is "Concerto no. 4 for Piano and Orchestra" by Andre Mathieu (a French-Canadian composer) and the program was choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto.

23. spikydurian

Thanks Sylvia.

24. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

The title of this thread makes me laugh. Isn't 'Plan B' a birth control method?

25. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Sometimes. But the phrase has been used for many decades earlier to mean one's 'backup plan if the first plan doesn't work'.

Or maybe this time it means the plan for the B events.

26. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

Andre Mathieu also composed the "concerto de Quebec" , used by Takahashi and Tran for their long program last year.

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I agree that Kevin is talented and wish him well, but I find it very hard to take him seriously as long as he's got an Old English Sheepdog puppy on his head.

28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Kevin really needs to work on his basic skating skills. He is the slowest male skater out there.
    Also he needs to work on his landing knee. His quads are not impressive at all because it doesn't get enough height plus he has no flow coming out of them because he doesn't know how to use his knee to land them.

29. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

But there must be at least a few people who like and respect Joanne McLeod? She must have at least a few things going for her, even if she is largely disliked and considered to be lacking in talent.

I also find it interesting that none of her top skaters have left her. Sandhu was a headcase and probably couldn't make a coaching change, even if someone would have taken him.

As to the others, I just find it strange. Skaters leave even well-respected coaches with a excellent track record. How can teams Leung, Ten and Reynolds be completely unaware if McLeod's is stalling her skaters progress?

IIRC someone (overedge?) said that 8 Rinks was embarrassed by McLeod but not willing to lose face by admitting it and that McLeod ran the rink like a tyrant.

True as that may be, Skate Canada has no particular loyalty to McLeod so far as I know. And Skate Canada members are quite capable of recommending a coaching change to a skater, aren't they?

30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe any Section or National Board member or employee would put themselves in the middle of a coach skater relationship. Decisions about coaching are made by skaters and/or their parents. I have no idea if JM is a tyrant or not. I do know she has been awarded the BC/YT Section coach of the year more times than any other coach. My opinion about Kevin needing a coaching change is based on my observations and my opinion that his development has stalled in the last few years. That can happen even if the coach is fabulous. Sometimes people just need a change and a different voice.