Kentucky Derby 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by sk8pics, May 2, 2013.

1. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

2. Cycliste

Cycliste Member

I like Normandy Invasion, Goldencents, and Orb.

3. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I've not decided yet. Ask me on Saturday. ;)

I am so looking forward to the all day coverage we have here in Central Kentucky. :D

4. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

It's a strange year for me b/c. I don't have a favorite. I'm stoked that Edgar Prado finally has a Derby mount, albeit Pletcher's bottom level horse Charming Kitten. Also, looking forward to Rosie Napravnik on MyLute and Calvin Borel on Revolutionary.

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

There are no fillies in this year's event. :drama:

So I placed a bet on Orb, because I liked the name. :)

6. skipaway

He's definitely a contender and he's a good looking horse. This picture shows him getting photo bombed. :lol:

Point of Entry Photobombs Orb

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  7. sk8pics

Orb is getting all the buzz, with some saying he looks the way Barbaro did when he was getting ready for the Derby. I am still rooting for Verazzano. He gets no respect, not that he knows it, LOL. I just hope the start is clean and no one gets knocked around. Poor Dreaming of Julia in the Oaks, but what a courageous filly!

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Sentimental choice is Mylute--breeding says he should like mud, and it could be Rosie's year. Never underestimate Calvin at Churchill Downs and Revolutionary might like the track, too....Gary Stevens didn't come out of retirement to lose. LOVING the new kid...

And sadly I won't see it as I'm third shift, unless some kind soul in IT puts the EDR television on NBC. (We have three TVs, we do not need TWO to be on ESPN and ESPN2 and we really don't need CNN...)

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm here! I know nothing about who's running other than I'm hoping for some Girl Power, so gooooooooooo MyLute! :cheer2:

Plus I always root for Calvin Borel.

But basically, whoever wins here becomes my pick for Preakness & Belmont because I really want another TC winner :cheer:

10. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Just saw my first NBC promo for Sochi. I better start clearing space on the DVR.

11. genevieve

I know we bitch about skating fluff (since it often comes at the expense of seeing actual skating), but I looooooove Derby Fluff :shuffle:

12. genevieve

Is that John Velasquez being interviewed? His voice sounds like he just sucked on a helium balloon :shuffle:

13. sk8pics

They all sound kind of like that, I think.

Anyway, congrats to Orb and his connections. I hope he is the real deal because I, too, would love to see another triple crown winner. That piece on Secretariat kind of choked me up a little. Forty years and no one's beaten his derby record.

14. ChelleC

Orb's trainer is from here in Lexington. Definitely would be great for him to win the TC.

15. skipaway

Great race for Orb and very happy for his connections. They mentioned before the start of the race that Vyjack had kicked the rail during the post parade. He then finished 19th. Hoping he's ok.
    No mention whatsoever, during the race call, for Revolutionary who, piloted by Calvin Borel, was sneaking up the rail to finish 3rd.

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

I won $22.50 :)

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  17. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Don't spend it all in one place. ;)

18. skipaway

I love this site during big race days. Scroll down for race day quotes by the trainers and jockeys.

KY Derby Wrap-up

19. ChelleC

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Cute pic, beautiful horses.

21. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

None of my picks, but hooray for Shug! Long overdue on his resume. And I heard on the radio the track described as "creamy peanut butter". Orb apparently is fine with mud!

22. skipaway

23. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

24. sk8pics

Little Orb was cute. I read today that one of his biggest challengers in the Preakness is a horse he grew up with. Hopefully he won't want to stop and play or chat during the race, LOL.

25. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm late to the Party, but...

You know who I felt sorry for on Saturday? The Laundry Service at Churchill Downs. We're they just layered in mud or what? :D

I was hoping for Normandy Landing, just so we could see the vets in the Winner's Circle, but happy w/Orb's win too.

The Preakness will be interesting. Here's hoping Orb can pull it off, as it really has been too long since we had a TC.

Oh and PL? Congrats on your winning bet.