Kentucky Derby 2010

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by skipaway, Apr 25, 2010.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

So one week before the KY Derby and we've lost the favorite, Eskenderaya. Pletcher reported Eskenderaya has a "filling" in his front leg and will no longer be pointed to the Triple Crown races. Further testing will be done this week to see exactly what the issue is. :fragile:

Pletcher has 5 horses and will possibly be entering a filly named Devil May Care. She will be cross entered in both the Derby and the Oaks.

Eskenderaya out of Derby

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I've been more interested in Lookin At Lucky, and given how out of left field most of the preps have been, I'm not exactly heartbroken to lose Eskenderaya. (Heard on TVG this morning.) At least they didn't wait until the morning of like with I Want Revenge!

And of course the other big news is Rachel Alexandra may be entered on the Derby undercard in the La Troienne. Rumor has it her works have been improving.

3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

This has nothing to do with this year's Derby, but a bunch of my family/friends are planning on going to next year's. Sounds like a fun experience!

4. danceronice

Devil May Care is IN and will not be entered in the Oaks, per Todd Pletcher this morning.

And Rule is out. So Jackson Bend and Backtalk move up into the gate.

5. skipaway

Backtalk only gets in if Interactif doesn't run. Pletcher said he may not run him. Devil May Care is already in the lineup due to her graded stakes earnings.

Here's the Current list:
    Updated Graded Stakes List

btw: Backtalk is the son of Smarty Jones.

6. skipaway

Pletcher confirms that Interactif won't run....now Backtalk is in.

Interesting article from DRF

Derby Changes in 24 Hours

7. danceronice

I hope Smarty Jones' stud fee is way, way lower than it used to be (it's "private", word has it it's WAY down from its initial fee, which makes sense as Birdstone's offspring have whipped his offsprings' rears in earnings so far.)

Same article I saw this morning had Pletcher saying Interactif wasn't going. It was pretty much a given. And I wonder how much the decision on Devil May Care came from her jockey being free now Eskenderaya is out. (Apparently he's going to be sold in the fall and Fifth Third's protecting their investment.) I'm surprised about Rule.

Thoroughbred Times had some pretty pictures on their Facebook page this afternoon of American Lion.

8. skipaway

Interesting article by Andy Beyer...who irritates me sometimes...but has some excellent points. His take on trainers/owners who enter their horses in the KY Derby when they really shouldn't.

and

Andy Beyer

9. danceronice

Interesting point (he annoys me at times, too) but the fact remains they have to earnings-qualify, which means they're beating or finishing in the money either in a LOT of company (not the case these days with 2 and 3yo) or against expensive, ie stakes, company. Though there is a horse in this year whose last win was an allowance. Which doesn't say a whole lot for the three-year-old crops lately in general.

10. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Bummer. I'm going to the Oaks this year and I was looking forward to seeing her run.

11. JacksonSnow

JacksonSnow Banned Member

The Kentucky Derby is a great event to go to, not a fan of watching it on TV, but I've gone in-person twice and had a blast.

12. danceronice

I wish I could go! I've never had the chance.

13. danceronice

Endorsement fractured his leg in a bullet work and is out. Interactif may or may not be in (if he's out Make Music For Me is in). Draw is today at noon so we'll have a final list.

14. danceronice

15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I don't understand about the odds (like 20-1 or 8-1). Is it the higher the number the better chance the horse has, or the lower? In that example, which horse is the better choice?

I am picking Dean's Kitten ... 'cause of the :cat: factor. :lol:

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  16. BaileyCatts

There's been too many fluff pieces on the owners and not enough stories on the horsies. :p I want fluff pieces on the horses. :D

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wheee, Derby Day! I was going to go to a Derby party this afternoon but it didn't work out, so here am I. All I know about the entrants this year I've gotten from this thread, so I don't know who I'm rooting for yet, although I love Calvin Borel and would be thrilled if he won again.

Bailey - the lower the odds, the more likely the horse is to win. So, a horse at 20-to-1 is not considered very likely to win (although last year's winner entered the race at a whopping 50-to-1 :eek: ).

PML love the Baffert fluff on MTB winning last year. "it's that frickin' Calvin Borel!" :lol:

ETA: ok, there's a filly, plus it's a Pletcher horse. I'll root for her :cheer2:.

18. danceronice

Actually, the lower the odds, the more bettors think he's going to win (so ironically the less he's worth to the bettors.) The way people bet the Derby, the odds often border on meaningless (like their contest winner putting $100k on Super Saver. Hoookay.) There are SO many people betting, so many horses where there's no real way to gauge how they'll handle a mile and quarter (none have run that far yet this early in their three-year-old year) and this year so many are coming off synthetic and have never run on dirt...in the past there have been horses who've not only never run a mile and a quarter but have never even raced two turns. And today you have a LOT of betting action based on the track being sloppy as some horses who might be fastest don't like mud.

In most races, from a "sure thing" perspective if someone's a prohibitive favorite with very short odds, bet them, and if you want to make money either bet something a little longer or start playing exotics. (I made $59 off a $2 bet boxing an exacta--I picked two horses to win and place in either order, plus I was also holding a $2 win ticket on the winner.) In the Derby, who knows?

Sentimental pick: I "know" the pony rider on Mission Impazable, and I would love to see Sidney's Candy win for Joe Talamo. Serious: God knows. Devil May Care has blinkers on, Lucky's are off.....who knows?

19. danceronice

HOly crap...what's $100k on a 7-1 shot pay?

(And Borel on the rail....)

20. BaileyCatts

#4 Super Saver!!?? Was that the horse the guy put the $100,000 on?!! How much money did that dude just win! :wideeyes:

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  21. genevieve

:duh: sorry, I totally mis-typed that, as you can see from the rest of my post. :eek:

CALVIN! :cheer2: whee, and he gave Pletcher his first win finally :cheer:

22. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Calvin Borel does it again!

My pick was Ice Box. I believe he came in 2nd.

23. danceronice

Ice Box was moving out at the end.

Hey, Todd, so 25th time's the charm, huh?

I believe he gets $700,000. So glad I didn't give in to TVG's evil temptations of bet $50/get $50 as I wouldn't have got that one.

Now, Calvin, get him home with something left at Pimlico, then try not to screw up the Belmont this time, hmkay?

I'd like to see the order of finish and where the rest ended up. Poor Lookin At Lucky, he had a CRAP trip, really getting mashed into the rail there.

And can I say, I am so glad that most of the commentators have been avoiding saying "The Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum Brands" every time they mention it? I wonder if Yum has figured out that people REALLY HATE THAT.

24. genevieve

wow, I didn't realize that Glen Fullerton won a contest to wage someone else's money - I thought he was just some rich dude. WOW.

25. BaileyCatts

$900,000 ..... can I have that in ten's and twenty's please. :rofl:

dayum!! :eek:

26. skipaway

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  27. BaileyCatts

Wow! Look at that photo! Its like he's flying!! :eek:

28. danceronice

You'd think the other jocks would know by now, you don't leave the rail open at Churchill if you want to beat Calvin Bo-RAIL when he's got any kind of horse under him!

I would love to know if Talamo (on Sidney's Candy) and whoever was riding Conveyance WANTED them to set suicidal fractions on a track like wet cement or if the horses just wanted to to go to the front and they would have wasted just as much energy trying to rate.

Lookin at Lucky apparently got pinched twice. Poor guy. But then it's crowded with a twenty-horse field!

29. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I wish I had bet this one. When I woke up this morning and saw slop I knew he would win. So far I am 4-4 on sloppy tracks.

30. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I, too, would have liked to have seen some fluff pieces on the horses! Still, it was an enjoyable broadcast on my DVR so I could ff through stuff.

Felt bad for Looking at Lucky. I saw him check and saw his head go up and thought, oh, that's it for him, poor boy. I got very excited when Noble's Promise went to the front --what a great story that would have been! And he finished 5th, not too bad.

Happy for Calvin but I thought he was beating the heck out of Super Saver when he was already in control, and I didn't like that much. Save some for the Preakness, Calvin.

Also, how about General Quarters yesterday in that turf race? What a heart he has!