Kemp & King relocating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Imperfect Edge, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110819&content_id=23430386&vkey=ice_news (Scroll to bottom of the article)

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Very interesting!

I wonder where they managed to secure the funding from.

Training in the US must cost an absolute fortune, compared to Poland.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope they can actually have a good season. I feel bad for them, how they've struggled the last couple.

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I really hope their skills improve. I always want them to do well, but they never do. :(

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I hope someone can teach Stacey to jump. That leg wrap is a shocker.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think they have problems that are unfixable regardless of who coaches them. If they haven't figured out how to do a non-wobbly lift by this point, while being coached by the team with some of the best pair lifts ever, I don't think they are going to get much further.

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

They improved so much under the Siudeks. Then the progress kind of stopped. Maybe things will turn around for them in FL.

Or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part... :scream:

8. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

*Sighs* They seem lovely people and they're free to continue as long as they want but... the writing has been on the wall for them for a loong time right now...

9. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Maybe skating should institute a Calla Urbanski rule.

It's never gonna happen, so save your money and invest in a Walmart franchise instead.

10. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

yup one of the worst- - but for some reason I always find myself cherring for them!!!

11. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

To fair, the lifts are the least of their problems. I think they managed to get a good handle on them in the last few seasons. It's the jumps that are the problem. They still sometimes make mistakes on the SBS double flips :eek: if they can't even nail double flips every time they compete, then lofty heights of a double axel seem out of reach never mind a triple jump.

I too wonder where the funding came from when they were struggling to find money to train in Poland.

In any event, I wish them all the best. The seem like very hard workers so i hope it finally pays off.

12. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

Did they? I used to think that they were regressing each season, sadly...
    And I do join to those who wonder where the funding came from...

13. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

They did. They were painful to watch before Suideks. With the Suideks at least their lifts were not scary. Minus the europeans....

14. antmanb

Exactly! Also their basic skating improved no end under the Siudeks, their speed and extension got a lot better, that's not to say it was great but it did improve.

I also think their programmes got better and were more enjoyable.

15. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I'll forever associate Coldplay with hip thrusting thanks to them.

FarFarAway and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

They have definately improved over the years - its just they were starting from a much lower level than a lot of other teams so its easily overlooked with the advances of some. 6th place finish at Europeans one year ... if only a jumping god could help Stacey out.

I thought they were going to struggle to stay in Poland due to all funding being cut. This is very odd as to where funding has come from but I want to see them in 2014 if they can possibly manage it. I did wonder if they figured they could earn money in America through some coaching and shows on the side although I know they previously implied they weren't allowed to coach, but maybe if not funded that may have changed.

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I want to see them improve! I hope this move can do something for them.

18. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

If they can't get anything past a double flip, improving the rest of their skating won't really help their results. But they obviously love skating, and I like seeing skaters who have a strong desire to improve and compete just for their own personal satisfaction rather than because they are aiming for a certain placement.

19. Civic

Civic New Member

Speaking of the Siudeks...where in Poland are they currently based?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Since they started coaching, they've been based at the Axel Torun club where they now work with Sylwia Nowak.

They currently have one (Senior) Pair Team: Silja Dos Reis/Mark Magyar, representing Hungary.

21. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ahhh what a disaster. :(

At least they're trying to go for the 2axels.

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I find myself rooting for them again. :slinkaway

24. antmanb

Well that's at least something interesting unlike coldplay's music :shuffle:

25. antmanb

They've opened the last two, maybe three season attempting the double axels early in the season. I think they even tried them at one of the senior Bs (finlandia or nebelhorn). But by the time the GP rolls around they're back to the flips.

ETA: The leader of the Novice girls landed a double axel!! That's rare in senior ladies these days let alone novice :lol:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  26. IceDanceFan1

IceDanceFan1 New Member

27. antmanb

:eek: What the hell? They didn't actually do any elements, but they got PCS so they must have skated something just without any elements whatsoever. Do they not have a an LP yet? Did they have to compete?

28. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I thought that David could do SBS triples, but Stacey can't. That's what I heard anyway.

29. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

Count me amongst those who think they improved a huge amount with the Suideks. Although the last 18months or so have not been great, they are a vastly different team to the one I first saw in Lyon at 2006 Euros. Hope this new move can add something extra to their skating. I do find myself rooting for them too.

Apparently the programme wasn't complete so they literally didn't do any elements. I'm not sure exactly how you score PCS when you haven't done any elements. What is if for? Stroking between what would have been elements?

But even if that is the case, "they" are a team so David being able to do them does them no credit as they will always be restricted by what Stacey is able to execute.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

David has a quite consistent 2axel and 3toe, I think.

But that's usually the case with pair teams - the male partner having a bigger jumping repertoire than the female one.