Keep it Real - Breast Implants Need Not Apply...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

True, but why do any enhancement at all?

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I worked in summer stock the summer after high school.

After one dress rehearsal, the director gave a note listing which female cast members should paint their cleavage. It was all the women whose costumes didn't cover it up.

So, yeah.

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It's show business, they worry about how all kinds of things look. It's certainly not just breasts.

I was watching Gerard Butler on Leno last night and he was telling stories of how they had to glue his left ear down for Tomb Raider because it stuck out further than his right ear. And on cold days the glue wouldn't stick so his makeup artist would spend the entire day cupping her hands around his head between takes. :rofl:

I seriously doubt that a normal person would have noticed that. I barely notice Stephen Colbert's wonky ear.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yes, but my point was that they don't want artificially enhanced breasts in the film and yet artificially enhance breasts themselves.

5. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I just read a Cosmo article on how to make it look like you have more cleavage with make-up.. so it's not just in movies :lol:

6. Anita18

It's easier to add shadows with makeup than cover up bad implants? :saint:

7. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The makeup for filming and/or photoshopping for posters is also likely to look more "real" than those oversized, melon-shaped post-implant breasts (although perhaps after more than a decade of seeing so many of them, a good portion of the population thinks that's what natrual breasts look like). :yikes:

8. Anita18

Definitely less than half of the population, since the other half presumably have breasts of their own to compare. ;)

Whether they think theirs is "normal" is another thing entirely but....anyway. :lol:

9. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm thinking that the pirate wench costumes are unforgiving of the telltale signs that breast implants create, and the costume department doesn't want to have to deal with it this time.

10. silverstars

silverstars New Member

That's what I was thinking too. A shirt can hide a lot of flaws, but a corset really puts everything, um, out there.

11. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Some trivia about the last two:

What had happened was that the first was unexpectedly successful and the cast was begging for sequels. Pre-release, Disney was unsure of its box office potential but once the numbers came it, the sequels were greenlighted (of course after Depp was last to sign on for them).

However, the problem was that the two screenwriters were off working on separate non-Disney projects. Once the sequels were ok-ed, the screenwriters were bum-rushed back together and to write a script. They wrote bits and pieces; tinkering out the plot and trying to smooth it out. What happened? In the middle of all this, Verbinski and co. were starting to do casting calls. Disney was also responsible for pushing the start date for filming as soon as possible (care to guess why? ;)) Verbinski was also forced to determine the budget for the film within a given deadline but it was difficult to do so without a completed script.

This all came back at the writers, who basically was getting the whip cracked at them repeatedly to finish the script. Even when the budget was decided, the casting calls, especially for Tia Dalma, was difficult because Verbinski and the casting crew was using work-in-progress parts of the script that the writers were in the middle of rewriting.

That said, I actually liked all three films. The last two needed to be one single plotline; either settling debt with Davy Jones and a father-son reunion or the advent of capitalism/imperialism/globalization with Cutler Beckett. It was far too dense. It's no wonder people got confused.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

There are plenty of good implants considering gummy bears have been on the market for a while. But they said, no implants, period. That's the confusing part.

13. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I didn't particularly like the 3rd PotC movie as much as the others because it focused too much on Will Turner. Don't get me wrong, I like Orlando Bloom as much as the next girl, but to me, the character of Will Turner wasn't strong enough to be the focus of a movie. Plus, people really went to see the movies for Johnny. Though I also liked seeing Stellan Skarsgard as Bootstrap Bill (but don't get how Orlando was supposed to be a 'spitting image' of him...)

I'm actually looking forward to this one. Johnny will be brilliant, as we all know, and I'm actually excited for Penelope to join on (and the 'Blow' reunion...) Plus Geoffrey Rush will be back, so you know we'll have some awesome Barbosa/monkey stuff.

14. Anita18

I think it would be easier (since they'd have to do it eventually anyway) to get all of the aspiring actresses to wear corsets at the audition like they'd have to in the movie. If nobody can tell if they're real or fake then, then who cares? :lol:

But...yeah. I have friends in the business. It can be very weird and irrational.

15. silverstars

silverstars New Member

Yeah, they needed to develop Will more in the first two films in order to put that much on his back in the third film. It was like all of the sudden he was trying to be a bad pirate and had this anything-goes attitude that just didn't fit in with the little that we got about him from the first movie (which was this is Will, he's a blacksmith, he loves this girl so he's going to save her...the end).

I think that Penelope Cruz could potentially be really awesome in a pirate movie, though.

16. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Ok, so maybe "big head" was a little strong, but definitely, 2 and 3 were never given enough time and attention to even give them a chance. Didn't I hear something about them starting filming on 2 before the script was even finished? That is just a huge !!!! on so many levels. I wish they could have taken a year to fine-tune the movies, but oh well. Maybe Pirates 4 will be better because it's not on such a frenzied schedule.

17. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

It's a shame too because the plots had so much potential. I think you are right about them filming before the the entire script was finished. I vaguely remember something about this on the DVD extras. The only reason why they were able to do this is because no one films the sequences in order, so they could film with what they have. Though really, it's pretty gutsy. Heck, it was crazy that Peter Jackson would tweak the script multiple times for LOTR which lead to many unused (though noncanon) footages.