Keep it Real - Breast Implants Need Not Apply...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Mar 22, 2010.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I LOVED the first movie but do not think much of the sequels.

3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Somehow, I could just never really buy into Elizabeth Swann as a real, bonfide pirate. She tried too hard to be "tough", and looked too clean/tidy/perfect...

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:rofl: Curves? Their leading lady was Keira Knightley! Awesome tomboy, but curves, real or fake? :rofl:

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Twinkle Twinkle, Movie star
    How I wonder what you are
    Did you make it on your own?
    Or were you helped by -- Silicone?

6. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Love it. Glad the cosmetic surgery backlash is beginning.

7. silverstars

silverstars New Member

Hah, I like that they're doing that, but it's still kind of hilarious.

On another note, WHY are they making another Pirates movie? The first one is one of my favorite movies of all time, but the next two just did not do it justice. I like Johnny Depp, but I'm not sure if even he will actually make this worth it. Typical Disney, beating things to death...

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

agree, not seeing the need for another Pirates film, but hope this turns into a casting trend.

9. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

But at the same time, they are looking for 5'7-5'8, size 4 to size 6 women? Do they really think those proportions are realistic? I am 5'9 myself, and I am nowhere near a size 6. Try size 16. If I got down to a size 6, people would start worrying for my health, because I would look anorexic; indeed, it would take anorexia for me to get to that point to start with.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:huh: I'm 5'10", and while I'm not a size 6 now (and probably won't be again in this lifetime), I was when I was younger with minimal effort. I don't see that as unrealistic for an actress at the height they're requesting, particularly if they are looking for women in their 20s.

11. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I'm 5'7" and size 4 (up to recently many size 2 things fit as well). I am slim, but not anorexic. So, realistic? Yes. Common? Maybe not. I don't think it's realistic for everyone, but for me it's my body type... I don't have to diet, work out or do anything special at all to be my size. People keep telling me it will catch up with me eventually.. .and they're probably right.

12. Anita18

In the US, what used to be a size 4-6 is a size 0 now. I know, because I'm there. :p What is considered 4-6 now was very easily 8-10 back in the day, and I think that's not all that unusual.

And we're talking about show business, where everyone skews thin to begin with. But it's still not nearly as bad as high fashion where even at my thinnest and sickest (under 100 lbs at 5'5") I'd be too fat to walk a runway.

13. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

For me Keira is horrible at doing the tough chick act. Instead of rooting for her character I kept wishing someone, anyone would knock her off the ship or something.

I saw that article and I wonder if Brukheimer will be watching from a closed circuit television somewhere. That seems kind of creepy.

silverstars, Disney is making another Pirates film because even as horrible as the last one was it still made a lot of $$$. As much as I loved CoTBP and liked DMC I think it's time to let it go. I do enjoy Johnny Depp's performance of Captain Jack so I'll probably watch the new film when it's released on DVD. I won't be making a trip to the theaters this time around.

14. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm 5'8 1/2 and a size 6.

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Why are they doing another? Because they got rid of that plot deadwood, Will and Elizabeth!

16. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

With all those requirements, I sense that the role has already been cast. They may be obligated by professional association rules to put out a casting call. So they make the requirements so stringent to be able to say this is the best person we have that fills those requirements.

I've seen that done with (non-showbiz) jobs before.

17. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

The next one is based on the book, On Stranger Tides, the focus is on Blackbeard. Bloom and Knightley will not return instead Penelope Cruz joins the cast.

18. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

IMHO, Johnny Depp + Penelope Cruz = almost certain win, so even though I'm sure it will be ridiculously cheesy and whatnot, I'll probably be seeing it. ;)) I just hope they capture the essence that was the first Pirates movie; I loved how they didn't take themselves seriously at all and just had FUN with the story. I'm not a fan of the last two movies because I think after the first Pirates was so successful, the filmmakers got a big head and took the story FAR too seriously and it just got overdramatic and ridiculous and painful. PotC 1 was MUCH more amusing and fun.

19. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Why? Sure, some people go overboard ala Pam Anderson and the real housewives of wherever, but I see nothing wrong with well done cosmetic surgery. Probably just a lame marketing ploy for the film.

Poor actresses, damned if they do, damned if they don't. Starve down to a Hollywood approved size, but you have no boobs, so you buy the boobs, and now you're told your fake boobs are passe and uncastable. :lol:

I always thought pirate women were known for being zaftig. I guess that's the wenches, though, not the female pirates.

20. manleywoman

That's always been the way though. Actresses like Keira Knightly and Sandra Bullock prove that you don't have to have big boobs to be bankable.

21. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

True! Nicole Kidman doesn't have gigantor boobs either, does she?

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't get it. They ban implants and proceed to bend over backwards to make Keira's boobs look bigger through other means. :confused:

Nope and neither does Kate Hudson.

23. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Gwyneth Paltrow is really flat. Likewise for Natalie Portman.

Big breasts aren't mandatory for Hollywood. But like IceAlisa said, if they don't want women with breast implants, why did they give Keira digital breast implants for the movie publicity materials?

24. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't put Bullock, Kidman, Paltrow, and Portman in the same category as Hudson and Knightly. Knightly and Hudson (particularly Hudson) are fairly flat. The other four aren't at all IMO.

25. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

The example used was for a different movie (King Arthur, not affliated with the Pirates franchise.)

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, it would be healthier to "enhance" only the image, not the actual woman.

27. manleywoman

I purposefully didn't add Paltrow and Hudson to my list because they have major insider connections (ie: famous actor parents) to make it in Hollywood despite their chest size. The others aren't as well-connected and had to do it more on talent alone.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

But didn't they paint her cleavage for the Pirates to make it look bigger?

29. Anita18

I think everyone gets their cleavage painted. :lol: The wonders of makeup.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Never heard of it before this.