Kawaguti/Smirnov Cheer thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by millipied, Apr 27, 2011.

1. millipied

millipied New Member

I know this is one of those "most ridiculed and hated" teams, or more like Yuko is the one, in the web world. But I am really sorry to see them end their career on that note. I know the LP is still ahead and everything can happen and I hope they can fight to the end.
    While not the biggest fan, I have always admired Yuko's bravery, sacrifice, and dedication to sport along with that special caring relationship Alexander, Yuko and Tamara have.
    Please relax, skate from your heart tomorrow and be happy in your professionla and personal lives!
    Good Luck!

2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Have they announced that they are ending their career?

I agree with you, I'm so disappointed they're in that position because of a silly mistake. Poor Sasha must feel like crap. I'd like to be the one to comfort him. :p

Yuko is the biggest rockstar in pairs, just fearless :respec: And he's flawless. They're an unlikely pairing, but they've always worked well together. The Swan SP :swoon:

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I felt terrible for them. They looked so sad. :( They have one of the best long programs this season and I hope they perform it perfectly tomorrow. Good luck! :cheer2:

4. millipied

millipied New Member

Officially not, but the rumormill has it that they done their job of gap fillers and now with the V/T and others, no longer needed. I am 99.9% certain this is their last year.:(
    Still for a skater to be so unfortunately not built for pair skating, they have done well and can be proud.

5. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

They're retiring after this??? NOOOO, I wanted them to stay another season to develop this long program even more......................

Well...one last shot tomorrow. A medal is so unlikely, but at least a beautiful performance of a truly gorgeous program is possible...

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Are you serious!?! Why would you start something like that :slinkaway

If every team ended their career after 5 season (and only 3 were full seasons) there wouldn't be any pairs left.

I have watched them both since they were with their former partners and this was only the second time he has ever fallen in comeptetition (2008 euros on a 3T) and you want them to retire?

They have beat every team in the world (even injured) except S/Z, just give them a season to get their mojo back.

They have one of the best long programs of the seasons and it's the second highest scoring program, give them a chance to prove it.

They look so much more mature from even last year I hope to see them around for a while because I think they haven't peaked.

ditto :swoon:

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

K&S have a lovely LP this year. I hope they will skate it to perfection and stand on the podium. I have always admired Yuko for her fighting spirit, tiny body with a strong heart.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Having heard from my buds at SCOSNJ what lovely people both of them really are and how great they were to the young pairs and other skaters coming up, I hope they kick major ice and end up on the podium!!!

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

"no longer needed"? Ouch. I'm not their biggest fan but I think they should say "stuff it" to TPTB and keep skating!

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I would be dissapointed if both Kavaguti & Smirnov and Pang & Tong retire as seems to be the case. This would create a real lack of depth in the pairs field at the top. Savchenko & Szolkowy and Volosozhar & Trankov would probably be not beaten by any other pair except each other for the entire Olympic cycle in this case, and which pairs would emerge to fight for the podium after that.

11. millipied

millipied New Member

I would not go as far as to say that there is lack of depth in second echelon of World Pairs skating. I believe three Russian teams- B/L, G/E, I/M and junior Chinese can already challenge for international podiums. But I agree that I wish K/S and P/T stay. I suspect that P/T will be forced to stick around though.

12. julieann

Pang and Tong have already said they are staying until Sochi and K/S have proven that S/S can be beaten, at Euros and at last years Worlds they were less than one point behind them. I wouldn't be so quick to count either team out.

G/E are no where near ready for 2014 - 2018, maybe. I/M will have to change coaches and choreographers to get better scores, what they do now isn't cutting it.

13. judgejudy27

Actually they have said this is their final season and they are retiring to get married. If I am wrong on that I would be happy but that is what I have read and heard many times over. Heck they even said it themselves at 4CCs.

That wont matter if they retire. And wins over S/S in the Olympic season need to put into a seperate category of sorts as that was their biggest slump season ever. Even Dube & Davison had a victory over S/S that year, LOL!

I do think if both teams retire you will see B/L and S/H as the main threats for the bronze medal next year. Maybe I/M if they improve further. I wonder if the Zhangs will be coming back.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  14. julieann

They just said they are staying about 5 minutes ago in an interview, so I'll take them at their word. Besides skatetrs can get married at any time, Smirnov did it last year.

Those programs were not slumps they were just beaten. Just as K/S didn't have the best season this year after all the surgeries, injuries and late starts.

Although, one gold, two silver and a 4th at Worlds is something most teams would kill for.

15. millipied

millipied New Member

I was just watching press event after LP and Tong stated that he is not sure if they will continue but they would like that. He did not sound positive.
    Also, Savchenko could not confirm if they stay. She stated they will be looking at it year by year.

16. judgejudy27

It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes over the next 3 years. It looks like Pang and Tong, Savchenko and Szolkowy, Kavaguti & Smirnov, and the Zhangs are all question marks. Volosozhar & Trankov you know will be there and will probably be the gold medal favorites by 2014, but there could be a wide open race for the other medals if all the top veteran teams retire.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Don't forget the Chinese. The judges seem to like Hui-San a lot.

I hope they all stay till Sochi. It will make for a great pairs event.

18. judgejudy27

I think the Chinese federation will want Sui & Han as their #1 if Pang & Tong retire. However I dont know what will happen when she grows. I have a feeling the Zhangs will only be their last resort option as a #1 team at this point.

19. julieann

I really think the Zhangs are out, can it really take a year for a finger to heal? There must be something else happening with them. No one can say who will be around in 3 years anyone can get sick or injured esp if it's career ending.

I like them, she just can't grow, although I like Takahashi and Tran as well.

I think they just say that to play it safe.

We we talking about how bad K/S must feel about being in 4th but honestly Smirnov was 6th at Jr. Worlds just 5 years ago and Yuko never got above 13th with her former partner so I think they are still pretty happy.

On to a new season (but i hope they keep the long, just make it more difficult)

20. judgejudy27

I also hope everyone stays in for 2014. It would be the most amazing competition with all the veterans and all the up and comers going at it. Much better than Vancouver which was a bit boring IMO. I would even like the Zhangs to return, while I havent been their biggest fans in the past, but I too doubt they will now. I figured they would skate at Worlds this year with it rescheduled in May, I think they just arent that motivated now. And with Pang & Tong continuing and Sui & Han emerging the federation will probably let them stop.

21. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

Here's a quote from Golden Skate's Pairs LP report:
    I, too, hope everyone stays until Sochi. I love pairs!!

22. viv

viv New Member

I think the Russian crowd showed that they want them to stay. Even on tv it was noticeable how much they were cheered after their LP, and Sigi Heinrich on Eurosport said something about the crowd "showed how grateful they are towards K&S for winning medals for Russia in the past year". With Gerbold&Enbert also eager to compete it will not be easy to qualify for the Russian team in the next years but at least I wish they would give it a try. I liked their programs this year a lot, I think they worked into the right direction, and it is sad that just this year it didn't work out for them.

23. zizi

zizi New Member

Let's wait to see. I really think Pang/Tong will retire and never come back.
    Hoping K/S and Z/Z have a chance in the future.

24. Belinda

Belinda Member

I like Kavaguti & Smirnov; they have a unique charm. But when I stop to analyse I only see imperfections. The time they must have spent practising quad throws should have been spent improving triple throws and twists. Claire de Lune is a wonderful program. But they never skated it perfectly. Perhaps I like it because of the music and choreography. Can this piece be better performed by another pair? The answer probably is yes, but can you imagine any other pair performing this piece and creating the same impression as does K&S? This pair has certain fragility, ephemerality, unlikeliness about them. This may be because by now we all expect them to fail at some point, a fall here, a step out there etc, and we hold our breath hoping for a miracle of a clean skate. Do you know how many people have shed tears watching thier Claire de Lune and Gala performance this past week? So many people say they like Kavaguti & Smirnov. It is a mistery

25. easilydistracte

Here's Yuko & Sasha's Worlds exhibition. [They mix and match their costumes don't they? Her dress is from their "Love Story" LP from the 2007-08 season and his costume is from their LP early last season before they switched to different costumes.] I love the music from Spirited Away and am happy that they chose Japanese music. A couple of different versions of their music here and here. There's a short posting in their blog explaining the music choice. [I used to think that Yuko wrote this blog, but I think a Japanese journalist does the blog for them. It's usually written in Japanese and/or Russian with occasional postings in English. I use Google Translate to read it, so I probably miss a lot of the real meaning of what's written on the blog. Anyway, I think it's interesting. Just a thought: I wonder if Sasha understands/speaks Japanese? Would be neat if he does.]

I really like their exhibition number. I think they do better with simpler, quieter music than with something that's extremely convoluted (for want of a more appropriate word). Loved the grin on her face during their introduction and kind of "Aww"-ed at the end when they smiled at each other and hugged.

With the season over, I'm thinking positive thoughts that they will both be able to rest and recover and heal completely from their injuries and get stronger. Looking forward to their being 100% next season and able to skate their programs to their full potential. I wouldn't mind at all if they kept both programs. However, I've also been wondering how they'd do if they skated to a cut from this piece from the Departures soundtrack. (The ending credits music is great, too--up-tempo and orchestral. Tried to link it, but couldn't get the link to work.) [Maybe the slow parts are too slow and the fast parts (in the ending credits music) too fast?] Would be interesting to see, anyway.

26. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Belinda's comments above. This pair has a v. special quality ...

Yuko's awkwardness and fiery character combined with Smirnov's gentle touch always creates magic for me. In fact, I like nearly all their long programmes in the past - Love story, Paliogacci (can't remember the spelling :lol:) and this year's claire de lune (It's v. touching indeed ... there's so much LOVE in that programme :wuzrobbed). It would be so sad to see them leave after the performances in Moscow. I am hoping they can stay until Sochi and sneak a bronze medal there, but I just don't know whether Yuko's body will allow her to do so ......... :(

Yuko's life should be turned into a movie (all the sacrifices she made to move to Russia, to learn the lingo, dislocated shoulders, etc., etc.,)

And anyway, whatever happens, they will always be the 2010 European Champions and multiple time world medallists!!

27. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

And I like the Departures soundtrack too - think they can do a great job with it. I was hoping that Miki Ando would skate to it ...

28. easilydistracte

Here's the theme from the closing credits from Departures. I like the fast second part--it reminds me of flying high and free in the clear blue sky. So uplifting. Would love to see what Yuko & Sasha could do with this music.

29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I think their "Claire de Lune" LP is the best program of last season and one of my all time favourite pairs programs.

30. Belinda

Belinda Member

Apparently, Yuko told an interviewer from the Yomiuri newspaper (13 May) that they would skate Claire de Lune next season too. She wants to skate it to perfection. (I cannot find this article on the Yomiuri online web; I am quoting from Japanese bloggers). She also refers to the difficulties of the 10/11 season, with injuries & time out etc, which forced her to communicate with Sasha more off ice. Previously, she'd thought practising lovers on ice under Tamara's instruction was enough to create the image but she hadn't been happy with the results in the competitions. She also mentions a desire to try quad throws again. I rather worry about this; I want them to carry on safe & sound till Sochi. I hope she won't injure her sholders again.