Karin Iten died at age 54

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Tarasirius, May 23, 2010.

1. Tarasirius

Tarasirius New Member

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Shocking! Too young to die. Iten had good figures but her freeskating was considered to be very sub-par. At 75 worlds I think she went something like 2-27-27 and there were 27 girls in the competition. :eek: Ouch!

I'd be curious to hear what she died of as well.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

According to the article, she started performing the Biellmann spin before Denise. I saw a few other articles that mentioned she actually taught Denise the Biellmann spin.

4. Tarasirius

Tarasirius New Member

I've found some more now, unfortunately in german.
    http://www.scwin.ch/sw/uploads/media/Landbote_Gaby_Schmohl_German_Open.pdf

Her bad results in free skating 75 were because she was diagnosed with diabetes in 1970 and 5 years later she had problems with her eyes and power. She had problems to train jumps because lack of energy. She had big problems with her health. 20 years ago she had a kidney transplantation and transplantation of pancreas. In summer 09 she had a surgery at her heart (sorry for my english).
    here are some pictures
    http://evelinegresser.vpweb.ch/Memorandum.html#

Best regards
    Tara

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  5. floskate

floskate Vacant

Moved to GSD as it's news and tragic at that. RIP Karin. :( Gone way too young. I have seen clips of her free skating and spinning was definitely her strength in free skating rather than jumps, but her figures by all accounts were something else.

6. Tarasirius

Tarasirius New Member

oh sorry, I was not aware of the Folder I was posting in. (The trash can)
    Thank you for moving .

Regards
    tara

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Very sad news. I remember her from the days when I started following figure skating in earnest.

RIP, Karen.

9. Tarasirius

Tarasirius New Member

translating the main points.... It's not easy, because she is speaking swiss german, very strange for me. But the comment are in german.

The video starts with a ring, her father gave to her in 1970. She tells, she loves it, because it's sparkles and glitters. We see her on the podium of the europeans 1973 and we are told that she quit skating 2 years later. What happened, asks the speaker.

She answered, she was told to quit. She did not know why at that point. It sounds angry.
    The speaker comment: Coach Gershwiler knew very well, why she couldn't skate, she had diabetes...

Karin shows her skates down in the cellar. She tells, she live on her own, never was married. She watched old videos and told, she was always angry, when she heard "Biellmann spin". "I know, it is my spin".
    She was working for 3 hours a day at Panalpina. We see her in the office. It was important for her having a team.
    At the end of the video we see the ring again.

Regards
    Tara

10. Tarasirius

Tarasirius New Member

I've watched the video again now.
    at the beginning of the video she turns to the left side, both the jump and the spin.
    At the end of the video she turns the Biellmann spin to the right side???

Strange.

Regards
    Tara

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Tara, thank you for your help.