Karen Magnussen suffering from lung complications after experiencing Ammonia leak

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by pair mom, Jan 13, 2012.

1. pair mom

pair mom New Member

2. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

This is really sad - a potentially huge effect on her ability to make a living! I hope she is able to recover soon and doesn't have truly long-term health impacts.

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wow. I think, but am not sure, that our rink changed over from an ammonia system for safety reasons.

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know, as it's the first I've heard of this.

Prayers going out to Karen for a complete recovery. :(

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Man, what lousy luck! Hope for her a full recovery.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

May she have a full recovery!

7. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Get well soon Karen!

9. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The club is "lucky" no one died.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How awful!
    Wishing Karen a complete recovery.

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

And to think she probably inhaled more ammonia because she helped parents and young skaters who were still in a locker room...Hope she makes a full recovery!

12. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The club (and every other ice rink using ammonia) had better install ammonia leak detectors & alarms, as soon as possible.

13. floskate

floskate Vacant

All best wishes to Karen for a full recovery. What a terrible thing to happen! :(

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Boy that rink is going to be in deep sh*t for OH&S breaches. And depending how badly she is affected, she is going to be entitled to a lot of compensation.

15. skatesindreams

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

This is so sad to read... I hope the long term complications aren't bad! I don't know about Canada, but I have been in some rinks in the US where I can easily see this type of accident happening just because they seem so poorly maintained...:(

17. mag

mag Well-Known Member

A lot will depend on her contract. She is probably paid a retainer by the NSWC as the Skating Director ... that would fall under insurable earning for the purposes of Work Safe BC. The money she gets from group lessons should be covered as well, but for many clubs the coaches prefer to be independent contractors for this portion and that can come back to bite the club when there is an accident like this. What it means is that even if she wasn't insured through the club, the group lessons will be considered as employment and the fall out from that as far as EI, CPP etc could be far reaching. For her private lessons, the majority of her income, she is probably a private contractor. Likely she would have her own insurance for this portion. Of course, Work Safe BC could also fine the Winter Club for the infractions - it will depend on how bad they were and how bad the club's record keeping is.

I'm not sure about the distinction between the North Shore Winter Club as a private club, and the NSWC, the Skate Canada figure skating club. Each has their own board of directors and the figure skating club operates out of the the Winter Club facility. Who carries the responsibility for the Work Safe portion and employment portion, I'm not sure.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering. My guess is that she would be considered an employee of the skating club, but it might come down to who had paid for the ice time (the private club or the skating club) and who the skaters on the ice were registered with at the time the leak happened. IOW who she was in effect working for at that particular moment.

19. Aussie Willy

I think regardless of her employment status, the rink has a duty of care to anyone who sets foot on their premises to provide a safe environment, whether they are an employee or not or whether they are working at the time or not.

I am not sure what the laws are in Canada, but here if anyone is injured on a property, they are entitled to compensation. Even visitors to our workplace are still protected under OH&S legislation. In this case the investigation will probably find it will come back onto rink management who didn't do proper maintenance on the equipment, that is how it usually pans out in these cases. So anyone who is affected will be entitled to compensation.

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Wishing her a full and speedy recovery. What a remarkable lady to take the time to help the kids when I'm sure she was feeling the impact from the ammonia.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

True, but when I was on my skating club's board, we were told that the club as the employer was responsible for ensuring a safe work environment for its employees (the coaches). So the club was expected to liaise with the owners of the facility the club uses (the local civic government who owns/operates the ice rink) about any potential safety problems. So if something went wrong at the facility, the club was ultimately responsible.

But Karen's situation might be different because the rink is owned by a private club, not by the city/municipality.

22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Scary and awful! :( :( :(

23. Aussie Willy

A club would have an obligation to report problems as that is their duty of care. Put my safety hat on, Safety is the responsibility of everyone. But ultimately it would fall back on the owners of the facility to make sure that things were safe. For example, if the club smelt the ammonia but did nothing about it, then they would have some degree of responsibility. But at the end of the day it would be the facility managers themselves who should have made sure the club would never have had to smell the ammonia in the first place, by ensuring the equipment was kept in good working order.

Also it is very easy for owners of facilities to try and pin the responsibility on anyone but themselves. It is like rinks saying "skate at your own risk" and they always put a disclaimer on the entrance and treating that your payment for the session is a part of terms of accepting that understanding. But that really is bullsh*t.

For example a rink here was allowing a rubber ball on the ice during a public session, even though they put a list of rules on their big screen saying "no pucks, toys, etc on the ice". I ended up complaining because I did not want to get injured because of a ball that the rink allowed on the ice against their own rules. Imagine taking that one to court! It did happen to me years ago at another rink where I did get hit on the head by a ball that the rink themselves allowed to be kicked around by the public. I didn't get injured but I sure as hell told them what idiots they were.

24. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

How old is Karen? It must be even harder to recover from an injury at an advanced age. Best wishes to her for a full recovery.

25. skatesindreams

26. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

27. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

^
    What a shame. I hope that she is able to recover with time.

28. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I nearly cried when I read that this might be the end of her coaching career. As a skater her joy and passion for the sport was incredibly motivating and truly inspired me in a way that no other coach ever did. She is one of the most positive people I have ever met. I'm sure that this is devastating for her.

29. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Years ago, witnessed a freestyle session where a coach brought a bag of toys which she dumped on the ice to entice the tot she was teaching to skate toward them. Must have been an accepted practice at this rink, because noone said a word or even seemed bothered by it!

30. skatesindreams

There aren't enough words to describe how awful I feel for Karen.