Kaleidoscope - A Holiday Spectacular on Ice

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Teenes, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Teenes

Teenes New Member

Kaleidoscope, a skating special and cancer survivorship/awareness benefit, will be held at the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX on Dec. 8, 2010 this year.

It will air Dec. 19 on Fox, from 4:30-6PM ET.

The show will be hosted by Scott Hamilton and Dorothy Hamill, and features Kurt Browning, Johnny Weir, Sasha Cohen, Evgeni Plushenko, Kimmie Meissner, Joannie Rochette, Rena Inoue & John Baldwin, and Surya Bonaly, with musical guests to be announced soon.

http://www.kaleidoscope.org
    http://www.sanantonio.gov/dome/news61.htm (press release)

Tickets are $15 each and are on sale now via the Alamodome box office and Ticketmaster (they're $20.63 after taxes and fees on Ticketmaster).
  2. lucysk8

lucysk8 New Member

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I envy anyone who gets to see this.
  4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

It was a GREAT show last year, when it was here in DC; too bad (for me) that it's been moved to Texas! If you're anywhere close to San Antonio, you should not miss it. For starters, only about 50% of the routines make it to the FOX show...and a lot of great ones were missed last year. Too, it's a great cause.
  5. Teenes

Teenes New Member

Hrmph. Make that $24.08 via Ticketmaster. I knew Ticketmaster sucked, but tacking on $9 worth of fees to a $15 ticket is ridiculous.

Nevertheless, I have my ticket. Looking forward to the show!
  6. REO

REO New Member

It's still a decent price for the show but yeah Ticketmaster is the gyp joint of all time.
    Kimmie!
  7. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I really wish I could go. Unfortunately, Wednesday is my longest day of school and missing class the week before finals is probably not a good idea. And it is too far to do just a day trip.

Darn. :( No SOI, No nationals, No skating for me live for a long time it looks like.
  8. Teenes

Teenes New Member

FYI, Plushenko is out of the show now. Sarah Hughes and Paul Wylie(!) have been added. Musical guests are Gloria Gaynor and David Archuleta.

And yes, definitely a very very good price for the show (having just gotten SOI tix today, BIG contrast in prices). I'm looking forward to it!
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Have fun tomorrow! Looking forward to reading your review of the show. :)
  10. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Yes, review please! And pics if possible :)
  11. stevlin

stevlin Member

No Buttle?
  12. Teenes

Teenes New Member

Photos are definitely forthcoming but after I've had time to process them, which won't be until at least after this weekend (I had credentials).

As for a review, I'll try to write a real one (was going to do it on the plane this morning but I've only had maybe an hour of sleep last night so I might sleep instead), but I was tweeting from the show and more or less have a realtime one:
    http://www.twitter.com/kurtfiles

Hope that holds you over until I get to the real one.
  13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

thank you!
  14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:encore:
  15. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Thank you!!! Sounds like a great show!!
  16. Sylvia

17. Teenes

Teenes New Member

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  18. REO

REO New Member

Thanks Teenes. That was great! I can't wait to see it on tv. I didn't know about Rena. She's a true champion.
  19. Teenes

Teenes New Member

FYI I've noticed that Kaleidoscope seems to be listed in the TV listings as "The Rock 'n Roll Figure Skating Championships", in case you try to search for it on your DVR and fail. Sunday Dec. 19, 4:30-6PM ET on Fox.

I've got my photos up from the show, dress rehearsal, and reception. I shot dress rehearsal from the opposite side of the ice than the show. The audience was set up so it was only along one side and end of the rink - I didn't want to get in their way during the show so I shot from the opposite side, but that meant a lot of the choreography pointed away from me. As a consequence, I got a lot of good, possibly better, shots from dress rehearsal, especially of the guys (got good shots of the girls but they weren't in full hair and makeup). Also got some shots of Johnny Weir and Kurt Browning goofing off with each other in the skater intros/closing numbers.

Dress rehearsal: http://bit.ly/fBFTMD
    Show and reception: http://bit.ly/f6YRML

Enjoy!
  20. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Interestingly, on my digital cable guide it shows as "Kaleidoscope on Ice" from 5 to 6:30 p.m. EST from Fox in Detroit. It does not show up on that date at all for Fox in Seattle.

Of course, in Detroit it follows football so times could be "possible".
  21. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I saw it on my tv guide listings for Monday Dec. 20th at 12:00 AM on Fox in Seattle. Hmmm, I guess I'll be setting the dvr for that one. It's listed as Kaleidoscope on Ice.
  22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

In the New York area it's listed as starting at 5:00, after the New York Giants game.
  23. Sylvia

Bump... check your local FOX listings for the broadcast time of the show today.

Belated THANKS for your detailed review and photos, Teenes! :)

ETA: Looks like this thread might have some play-by-play commentary in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76524
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  24. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

Was able to see part of it, very enjoyable and meaningful as well. Great to see Paul Wylie skate - classic!
  25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Ditto for Kurt! loved seeing Kimmie, too. :encore: