Kaitlyn Weaver - broken fibula in training.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Mevrouw, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Reliable sources (including direct from Kaitlyn) have confirmed that she had a training accident on the weekend when her blade got caught on the boards. She has a broken fibula (small bone of the leg) near her ankle and they'll be out of Canadian Nationals while she recovers. They intend to try for Worlds but will not have much time to train when she's allowed back on the ice.

Sending sympathy and best wishes to both Kaitlyn and Andrew. Get well soon.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  3. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Best wishes to her for a rapid and full recovery.
  4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Get well Kaitlyn!

I hope somehow she can manage to be in shape for Worlds in March but I won't get my hopes up.
  5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

She's young, strong, healthy, and most of all determined..........I certainly won't give up hope for them at Worlds.
  6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:( Depends very much on where the break is and the degree of breakage (and whether or not she needs surgery). She might be healed up by Worlds, but I think usually even minor fibula fractures they recommend a minimum of 3 months, which wouldn't leave time for training.:wuzrobbed Get well soon, Kaitlyn, and do your best to enjoy the time off doing things you don't normally have time to do!
  7. Capella

Capella Guest

8. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

speedy recovery :wuzrobbed
    how long does this injury usually lasts ? I hope they will still be ready by Worlds and win the bronze medal
  9. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Canada could probably get 3 Olympic spots if Gilles-Poirier don't mess up...no need to rush if she is not ready.
    (I have had that injury and it is very painful)
  10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:wuzrobbed this is not a morning of good figure skating news
  11. Carina

Carina Member

:wuzrobbed: NOOO !!! :(
  12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn!!

Get well soon Kaitlyn!!
  13. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Thanks. Here's the full text:

Best wishes to her on a full and speedy recovery!
  15. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe the Detroit Red Wings will let her use their hyperbaric chamber. Don't those promote bone healing?
  16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

It also depends where the break is. Ankle fractures usually heal in 6 weeks. Of course, she's not going to be back on the ice at 6 weeks. 3 months is probably more like it. If the break was in her leg - Mevrouw's post suggested it was above the ankle - then healing might take longer than 6 weeks b/c the lower leg doesn't get a lot of blood flow and is notoriously slow to heal. I broke my tibia (yep, skating, but not doing anything near as complex as Kaitlyn probably was) a few inches above the ankle (right at the top of the skate boot) and I won't scare W/P fans by saying how long full healing took. But Kaitlyn is younger than me, plus the fibula heals faster than the tibia, so hopefully she will heal much faster. But if it was in fact a leg fracture, 12 weeks would not be unusual.

Really? Damn, wish I'd known that 3 years ago. ;)
  17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

It's not like they are using it! So maybe her team will ask :)
  18. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I had surgery on a broken fibula last year. I was non-weight bearing for 71 days. I also did major damage to all the tendons and ligaments, and that slowed things down for me considerably. And like Debbie, I'm a bit older as well.
  19. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Worlds starts 82 days from now. It doesn't seem as if it will be possible for her to recover from the surgery and have enough time to train leading up to Worlds.
  20. Sylvia

21. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Poor thing. Regardless of competitions, just hoping that she gets well and fully recovers.
  22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Ow ow ow ow ow ow! Sounds painful! :yikes:

Hope she makes a full recovery! Poor thing!
  23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Sorry to see this injury confirmed. Best wishes to Kaitlyn for a full recovery and back safely on the ice soon!

Heal well, and good luck to both Kaitlyn and Andrew.

:saint:
  24. zee703

zee703 New Member

How difficult is it for a fibula to heal? And especially for a skater?
  25. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I love W&P and while I wasn't totally in love with their new FD, I was happy to find out that they were making some changes to it. Was looking forward to seeing what they had come up with. I'm sorry that Kaitlyn has broken her ankle and while I would love to see her and Andrew make it to Worlds (especially since it's in Canada) I think she should take her time to heal properly.

I agree with euterpe. Even if Kaitlyn's ankle is technically healed by Worlds, I wonder would there be time to really be in 100% shape for it. After seeing what has happened to skaters in the past who have rushed their returns from injury, part of me hopes that W&P think of Kaitlyn making a complete recovery first and foremost. I say try for Worlds only if it won't place undue strain on her. As disappointed as I am to not see W&P and the improved version of their FD at the remaining competitions, it might be more wise to write off the rest of the season. Recover, rest and begin planning for the Olympic season.

Anyway, I'm sure team W&P will do what is best for Kaitlyn/them though they must be disppointed as well.
  26. jamcan

jamcan New Member

training in the US but health care in Canada ;)
  27. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

So?
  28. Sylvia

Posted on their Facebook fan page yesterday:

"Kaitlyn contacted me after her surgery, she wanted me to let you all know it was a success!"
  29. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Oh no.... I like this couple. Wishing Kaitlyn speedy recovery and seeing her back on ice soon.
  30. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

oh hiw totally awful. I have broken my fibula twice (once was a tib-fracture..no fun) but the solo fib was nbd. they didn't even cast it...but then, I was not trying to do anything exotic like get in shape for Worlds. Good luck to both her and Katie