Kaetlyn Osmond - Olympic Silver Medalist?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fsfann, Mar 30, 2014.

1. fsfann

fsfann Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

SOI lists all the 2014 Olympic Team event medalists that way.

Polina Edmunds originally was listed on the U.S. SOI site as one of the "Olympic Bronze medalists" but it's since been corrected to "U.S. Silver Medalist."

3. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I guess they'll have to change how W/P are listed too. World Silver medalist has such a nice ring to it! :D

4. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Aw...too bad! Her Olympic Silver Medal would have looked quite nice beside her Nobel Prize nomination and Maclean's Magazine Woman Of The Year title.

5. Colleen

Colleen Member

But she does have the silver from the team competition ....

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Team comp. not a mistake.

7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

All of this splitting hairs is silly. All of the team medal winners stood on the podium in Sochi. They ARE medalists. Try telling the Canadian hockey teams that they aren't gold medalists.

8. nlloyd

nlloyd Active Member

9. fsfann

fsfann Well-Known Member

Oh lordy, you guys are right. I don't even think of the team event... but I guess that is correct!! I still can't wrap my head around that!

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Yeah true team sports are a bit different it's hard to see who's not contributing to the team sometimes while in skating it's obvious who carried the team and that's why it's hard to think of Kaetlyn as a Silver medalist considering how she skated compared to someone like Gracie.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have made this mistake a few times. Most recently when reading an article about the split of I/K in which they were referred to as the Olympic gold medalists. I laughed and then quickly realized they did win gold with the team. It is just something us figure skating fans may take a while to get used to.

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I've seen some of the other winners of team medals use this format of description, and IMHO it's a little misleading if they competed in a singles or pairs event as well. Something like ”Silver Medalist, Olympic Team Skating Event" might be more accurate.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't think it's misleading, because I don't think gold medals earned in the 400m relay are any less gold medals than those earned in the 400m individual event.

Also, regarding Osmond's performance, if she come in last instead of 5th in the Ladies SP, Canada would have lost the silver medal. Every gymnast who contributes to a team total has earned a medal, to chose a team event made of independent events.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I think it's wonderful that these skaters are being marketed that way. They earned those Olympic medals as much as anyone else did!

puglover and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

I didn't think that the skaters received a medal ( or the claim) if they didn't skate in the team event.

16. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

So only the skaters that participated in the Team Event get the Team medal. Since D/W participated in both the short and free of the Team event, this shut out the opportunity for C/B or the Shibs from getting an Olympic medal. And since Adelina didn't participate in the Team event, she didn't get the Team medal either. Otherwise she could've gotten 2 gold medals. I wonder who makes the decision of who gets to participate in the Team events.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It depends on the Federation. The US asked the skaters to declare whether they're willing and which program back in December, and then, according to the document that USOC approved, awarded spots based on a hierarchy of discipline and skater. The other Federations made the decisions, some based on the top skaters' preferences.

18. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

The way the US team (and Canada) did it made perfect sense and seemed fair..top skaters getting to pick first, do they want to do both and if not, which program. Russia seemed very unfair in keeping Adelina off the team, since she was the Russian champ. I guess they use the excuse that Julia became top dog by winning Euros, but I'm not buying it, since this was the country team competition, not the continents competition. That being said, she got the last laugh and went away with the big prize. She seems to have been pretty much the only one kind of screwed in the whole team part. You really have to wonder how that selection came about.

19. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Relays and other multi-athlete events in other sports are well established and well known. The Olympic team skating event is new and not well known. And if an athlete also participated in another event, in which they didn't get a medal, I think there's a legitimate possibility for confusion if they're billed as an Olympic medalist without indicating that it was a team medal.
    No one is saying that they didn't legitimately earn the medal or that they shouldn't call themselves a medalist. But until the team event is better known, there's going to be confusion if the event isn't acknowledged.

20. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

I wonder what the countries would have done if substitutions had been unlimited.

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

There was an interview about it with Julia's coach. At first both girls would split along with pairs. Adelina would do the SP and Julia the LP, since those had been their relative strengths all season, which Julia's coach said was fair. At the last minute, they decided to switch ice dance instead (maybe I&K were training their FD better than B&S, or they wanted to hedge their bets politically). Then Julia's camp was asked if she still wanted to do the team event while having to commit to both programs, and they said that Julia would do the two if she had to. I guess she got first dibs because she was Euro champ and had been more consistent over the season (I really don't understand your comment that it was the team event and not the continent event, since Euros is a championship and Stolbova/Klimov's performance there earned their spot on the team as well).

I don't think it was any conspiracy to screw Adelina out of the spot or that they needed an excuse to do so. Despite her bombing CoC and GPF they were ready to put her in for the SP. It sounds like they would have if you could make more than two substitutions. Perhaps that rule will change for 2018.

22. fsfann

fsfann Well-Known Member

I seem to have opened a can of worms, and I need to apologize. I offended some people with this post, and as I have said - it was totally unintentional. I certainly didn't intend to piss people off... When I posted this, I didn't even consider the team event as I only thought of the individual event.

Like I said before - and as some others have said - the team event is new, and I already forget who came 3rd this year in the team event. It was a fun event, but somehow I still feel that if they advertise that, it should be somehow indicated that it was a team event as opposed to the individual event. Kevin Reynolds, Olympic Silver Medalist strikes me as a bit strange.. He is certainly not at the level of Patrick Chan.

danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

And not every guy on the Canadian men's hockey team are on the level of Sidney Crosby, either. The guys with the worst +/- scores got the same medal as the guys with the best.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I wasn't offended at all. :) It's an understandable :duh: moment. ;)

USA! :drama:

They don't. SOI screwed up on their site by mistakenly listing Polina Edmunds as part of the USA team bronze group. :eek:

25. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

And the guys who don't even play (goalie Mike Smith) still get a medal, and I don't hear people complaining about that either.

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I love how fans are sniffing at the team medals. It was a bizarre way of marketing the sport as we understand and appreciate it. Could it spur on more Europeans to form respectable dance and pair teams by inviting country switching?

27. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Agreed. Everyone who skated contributed to the team in some way. The degree of contribution may vary between athletes, but that is true for any team event. Not everyone on any of the teams were capable of winning medals individually. As we know, most did not (Russia=V/T, S/K, I/K; Canada=Chan, V/M; USA=D/W).

If Osmond had not been there, Canada would not have even qualified a team. Would using Daleman instead have made a difference to the outcome? Probably not. Canada would still have won Silver (assuming Daleman skated as she did in the individual events), although the margin over the USA would have been much less. Osmond finished 5th in the team SP, while Daleman would have finished 8th (based on her Individuals SP score of 52.61). Osmond's 62.54 provided an additional 3 points of comfort over the USA.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

There was some complaining about it pre-Olympics. The skaters on "Team Canada"/"Team USA" etc who didn't "play" (skate in the Team event) didn't get medals. There was a lot of comment about how alternates for other sports don't get medals, so team members should actually have to step into the game.

Which is why Chan gets to call himself 2-time Silver medalist (he could add 3 time World Champion if he wants). Kevin doesn't get to do that- but he is still an Olympic Silver Medalist. It's a real medal.

29. Oldsk8ter

Oldsk8ter Active Member

She won a silver medal as part of the team competition. To make things less confusing, it should say Olympic Team Silver Medalist

30. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

That distinction is not typically made for any other sport, why should Figure Skating be discriminated against?

Abbott, Brown, Wagner, Gold, C/S are all being promoted the same way on the SOI website. CSOI/SOI are trying to promote their skaters, not devalue them.