Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I certainly think the international judges have taken note of Kaetlyn in a very positive way. I definitely would like to see her represent Canada @ WChs. I just have a soft spot for Amelie.

2. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

We could just call her K.O.

3. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I do expect her to win...probably by at least 15 pts. However, my argument was against the notion that we should think differently about her prospects if she doesn't win.

4. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I read that article a few days ago and what struck me was Joannie's comment about her and how much potential she has. She then says "I can't wait to see how she does". I know she was referring to Mississauga but she could also mean beyond. And then looking at it that way we didn't hear anything like "I can't wait to go against her next year and kick her talented hiney".

I just have the feeling that Kaetlyn's emergence has taken the pressure off of SC and Joannie to lather up a decent entry for the ladies event in Sochi. I'm not feelin a comeback here.

Good article on Gosselin. Yeah sounds like he needs a better training enviro to push him and build his confidence. Where does he train now?

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

6. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

7. shine

shine Well-Known Member

She already went against Tuktamisheva at this past Skate Canada, and beat her ;) But yes, it'll be exciting to see them go agasint each other again now that Liza seems to have gotten back to form.

BTW, is Sotnikova still planning her 3lz/3toe (or 3l)? I never understood why she insisted on doing her 3lutz in combinations since she has a pretty obvious flutz.

8. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

To me Kaetlyn Osmond has it all, saw it the first time I saw her skate earlier in the season at some B event. In fact I would go so far as to say she's the best female figure skater I've ever seen come out of Canada since the great Barbara Ann Scott, which is fitting, considering Miss Scott passed away this year, and in her place God sent Kaetlyn. Jmho. :)

9. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

No pressure then.....;)

10. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Sure, she has pressure on her, but something tells me she will be very good at handling it..........certainly better than some of the others.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

If that were the case, wouldn't Kaetlyn be just a baby?

I think there have been other wonderful Canadian ladies, and certainly results-wise there are several Canadian skaters more accomplished than Kaetlyn Osmond. You might want to save the hyperbole until she achieves more than a single Skate Canada win.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Glad you added the JMHO. There have been some wonderful Canadian ladies' skaters since Barbara Ann Scott. And let's not pile the expectations onto Kaetlyn just yet .. let her learn and mature.

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Well then. Nothing like a bit of restrained praise to express how you feel, innit? I'm not sure I share all the Osmond lurve, but she is one of the best competitors to come out of Canada in recent memory. Judging by some of these lavish expectations, she's going to need a level head very soon.

14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Wheee!!!! Great short program from Kaetlyn.......what a competitor she is. Everything was just about perfection, and the girl is so down to earth.

15. fsfan22

fsfan22 New Member

70.04 in the SP (37.38/32.66) Wow!
    3T+3T, 3F, 2A ... 2 level 4 spins, 1 level 3 spin and level 4 footwork!

Good luck in the long, Kaetlyn!

16. shine

shine Well-Known Member

If that's how NadineWhite feels about Kaetlyn's skating, it is how she feels. In addition to talent and hardwork (both of which Kaetlyn obviously has), winning major championships takes a good combination of timing and luck, which is never a guarantee. If a skater makes me excited now because of the exceptional qualities they possess now, I'll get excited NOW. I don't know how far Osmond will go results wise but right now I happen to also find her the most exciting female skater to have ever come out of Canada. And I am a big Rochette fan.

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

To me, there's a big difference between getting excited about someone's skating and saying so, and getting all 'divinely ordained second coming.' It wasn't even courtesy of the Skating Gods, nope the big God himself is involved in Canadian skating ladies finding a successor to Barbara Ann Scott. The latter just makes me :scream:, but this could be one of those situations where YMMV.

ETA: Osmond's Short program from Canadians is :respec:-worthy. http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=more/157/1/0/846912/clip/189

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  18. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I tend to think God has bigger things to worry about, but you never know.

:COP:

CassAgain and (deleted member) like this.
  19. NadineWhite

Lol all this because I offered my own personal opinion. :D

Seriously, get a grip, it's only skating, not life or death.

Anyhow, this definitely tells me Miss Osmond has arrived. Skating fans feeling threatened by her, eh? ;)

And to top it off I'm not even a Canadian figure skating fan, which one would know by reading my posts over at GS for over a decade. Yet even I can see the genius of Kaetlyn. That's because I am a figure skating fan first & foremost. :cool:

Sugar and (deleted member) like this.
  20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

It's a message board. What the hell are people going to do besides talk about each others opinions? You offered your opinion, other people thought it was a tad melodramatic and said so. That's what happens on a message board.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Then how would you know how she compares to other Canadian skaters?

22. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

My response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, since you apparently didn't understand.

Why would I feel threatened by Kaetlyn? Last time I checked, I didn't have to compete against her. Do I think she should be scoring 70+ at this point in time? No, but it's Nationals. I get that. I think her short program is one of the best of the season, and I think she'll continue to improve.

23. NadineWhite

I don't know about you but I don't come here to talk about other people's opinions :rolleyes:, rather I offer my own, but it's all good because as the old saying goes "you know what they say about opinions, they're like a-holes, we all have one.". ;) :lol:

Anyhow, carry on, I offered my opinion about the lovely Miss Osmond and have nothing more to say except "GOOD LUCK, KAETLYN, AT CANADIAN NATIONALS"!!!!:kickass:

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The whole point of a message board is discussion. Facts, our opinions, and our reactions to other people's opinions inform all of our discussions, in real life and on message boards. That's the way of life. You offer your opinion in reaction to other people's opinions. Your reaction to people talking about your opinion was to accuse them of feeling threatened, for some reason, and to tell them to get a grip, both of which are statements clearly informed by your opinion of the validity of the discussion. It's ridiculous to act as though you're on some superior moral plane because you don't talk about other people's opinions. Yes you do, if not directly. I have the same reaction to people who say, "I don't judge anyone." Yes you do. We make judgments, positive and negative, about people every single day. That's what human beings do.

25. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I think Miss Osmond is the real deal. You go, girl!

26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

For the first time in many years, I am anticipating with pleasure the Canadian Ladies long programs with Kaetlyn and the other young skaters. What an improvement.
    Go Kaetlyn et al :)

27. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I thought that her sp was terrific, good for her..Good for Canada..

28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Osmond has an energy and excitement about her skating that is infectious. Love her fearless confidence on the ice when she is competing. Great speed and amplitude on her jumps and her programs are stacked with transitions. No wonder her scores are so high; she performs the components that this system rewards. Her joy for skating is very apparent. Great for her! :)

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Re-posting my comment about Kaetlyn's SP yesterday at Canadian Nats:

Congrats to her -- I hope she kicks ass this afternoon....I just wish I could find a live stream for the Ladies FS that isn't geoblocked in the US :drama: :fragile:

30. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Seconded. :)