Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Canadask8er

Canadask8er New Member

I also do not understand why there are so many negative comments re: Kaetlyn Osmond. Yes she is a little rough around the edges but she is fearless! Her Challenge programs were great and you can tell there has been improvement over SC. She won SC fair and square; she was the most consistent of the event! While some things looked easy in her Challenge skate, others were a bit of a struggle, so she hasn't peaked yet!

It all comes down to the day and how she will handle the pressure. All eyes will be on her next month as she goes after her first National title and best of luck to her!
  2. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Kaetlyn punched her ticket for London following Skate Canada. The challenge, Nats and 4CC are all practice comps for her. She only needs to finish in the top 18 at Nationals to make London for the most part.

As for the treatment of her on here, I quote a good friend: "you KNOW Kaetlyn's good; FSU is bashing her"
    She's made the big time!

Let's all keep in mind that she will have a bad competition or two eventually. Hopefully the boards won't explode when that happens.
  3. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

:saint: Welcome Kaetlyn to skating forums!

You wish! :p There'll be :drama: .... like she's done or proof that judges were bribed in Skate Canada. :D
  4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I also think she would have put in a good showing at NHK had she been invited to go, and might have even made it to the GPfinal.........maybe next year. She's only 16, so there's plenty of time, and I don't think we have to worry about the puberty monster with her as she has a woman's body now has put that phase behind her. She looks much more mature than her age, but her tweets indicate she's every bit a teenager :). I'm still hoping that she inspires some of the other young Canadian Women to achieve what she is doing thus far. It's certainly going to make Women's skating a tad more interesting here in Canada. She has that star quality and I hope she can handle it and stay grounded. I'm thinking that Ravi has done a wonderful job with her so far. Go Kaetlyn and team!!!!!!
  5. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Yeah. The consensus was that the Ladies final flight at the Regina challenge was much more compelling to watch than the Mens.
  6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

7. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

After watching this year's Challenge videos, I went back and watched Kaetlyn at last year's Challenge - the improvement in one year is unbelievable. Actually, I would even say that the improvement between last year's Challenge and Canadians was pretty incredible. Kaetlyn attempted the triple toe-triple toe at last year's Challenge, but fell on it (and the double axel) in the short program, and went on to land 4 triples in the long (two toes, one sal, and one flip). Since that time, she's gotten consistent on the triple-triple, added the double axel-triple toe and triple lutz to the long program, and gained a lot of speed, transitions, and performance ability.

I should also point out that the ladies field as whole showed big improvement over last year's Challenge, where the top 5 all outscored Kaetlyn's winning total score from last year. And last year's winning SP score would have been 9th this year. Hope that we see more of the same at Canadians in January!
  8. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm actually excited about the ladies event at Canadians this year. :lol:
  9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

But we have only one ladies spot - I presume they will send the Canadian champion?

Though Osmond is certainly going to be a favourite over Lacoste. This Nationals is hers to lose.
  10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Really? If both have a clean short, Osmond is almost certain to have at least a 5 point lead over Lacoste. And Lacoste isn't even consistent on the harder triples. I think it's a pretty done deal.
  11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Lacoste's personal best SP is 57 and change; nationally, she's never quite reached 55. Given that Osmond was scored 66.73 for her SP at Challenge, I'd expect a 15-point or more gap between Osmond and Lacoste after the SP.
  12. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:huh:
    I'm not sure what your post has to do with mine.

I'm excited about the ladies event because for the first time in a long time, there are some girls up from junior with real potential, showing they're ready to fight for it.
  13. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Good news! :p
  14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Gabby Daleman skated at the Celebration onIce show and she is a lively skater with a lot of spunk. Doesnt have Kaetlyn's elegance but I am sure she can acquire more finesse.
  15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Good to know Emdee. It seems like Canadian ladies are indeed making an effort. I'll be watching with interest for the first time in a few years. Looking forward to it actually which says a lot.
  16. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

I just watched Kaitlyn's Canadian National 2012 vid and her recent Skate Canada vid. Her improvement is obvious. Looking forward to seeing her grow.
  17. hohoho

hohoho Member

Good luck to Osmond and the rest of the skaters at Nationals this week.
  18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Why do the threads about Canadian ladies always have "hope" in them? Canada never seems to get tired of hoping.
  19. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

We Canadians believe in the traditional virtues of faith, hope and charity!
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

That used to be the case until 1996 when Jennifer Robinson won over Josee at Nats and was automatically sent to worlds where she bombed.
    IIRC, SC implemented a rule after those nationals whereby the National champ automatically gets sent to worlds if there are two or three spots to fill. If there is only one then the federation considers the last 12-15 months (I forget how long) to send the skater with the best body of work. Had they applied that rule in 1996, Josee would have gone to worlds based on her Gold and Bronze on the GP. They HAD to send JRo.

So now you have Katelyn who medalled at last year's nats, finished 10th at JW and then two golds this fall. She's done enough. She's going to London barring some sort of disaster this week.

PS I think the USFSA determines its selections similarly.
  21. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Katelyn's development over the past 12 months is dramatic. Skating skills are the only major thing that needs a lot of work and that's just a matter of time.

My :sekret: told me that some judges after the challenge event had considered giving her 10s in PCS. They felt they could rationalize it.

As much as many people would like to think otherwise, we have a real, exceptional, marketable talent on our hands. There is no limit to what she'll be able to do as it stands now. SC knows this.
  22. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Oh yeah, plus Katelyn is the only senior lady who has a World's qualifying score
  23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

If she is as amazing as your post suggests, she should find a way to at least win the Canadian title. That is hardly a sky high benchmark to meet. If she loses it, then the truth may be less rosy.
  24. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Do I infer from this that you consider hoping to be a negative trait? If so, I think that's rather sad.

I'd consider hoping to see the best from any skater to be a strongly positive trait. If it really is a national trait, than all the better, IMO.
  25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

No, I just think a dose of realism might help Canada's ladies improve their game.
  26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Realism about what? There's nothing wrong with hoping you get better while working at getting better too. I don't think Canadian ladies have any illusions about their capabilities in comparison to the rest of the international field.
  27. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Couldn't disagree more.

Her potential will be realized over the long term. Yet over the short term it's true she is having success. She has won all 3 of her senior events to date at the national and international levels. it's not realistic, though, to expect any skater -- even someone exceptional -- to win every event they enter. So if she doesn't win nationals, I'd be surprised, but I would hardly be recalibrating my thoughts on her potential. I'd send her to worlds happily and be just as positive about her prospects.
  28. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Rationalize it as in, we had a couple of long island ice teas and a coronarita to top the night off before judging the event? :confused:

Mind you I'm a big Osmond fan and am totally going to uber for her at Worlds(crossing fingers and toes). Lurve her! :cheer:
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with "hoping" Canadian women do well. It appears that some are striving to improve enough to become future contenders, especially miss Osmond. To me it's a far more positive trait, than just giving up, or worse still: entitlement.
  30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

BTW........go Kaitlyn!!!!:)
  31. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

I know, it's funny. We can all talk about "hope" and "potential" and can send positive vibes, but there will always be those who interpret that as coronation. I think people read what they choose to read.

As a close friend and poster here has told me, "you know Kaetlyn's good because FSU is bashing her". I'll never forget that one...laughed for about half an hour. So, I'll take the nay-saying in stride...
  32. Flora

Flora New Member

Caught her first practice at the mall today. Very hot and cold. Struggled with the double axel, triple toe combo. Missed it quite a few times. Very consistent flip and toe. Did not see any triple triple combos or the lutz. Assume she'll work on those in her later sessions.

Without a doubt, this girl has the "it" factor. I saw many shoppers stop to watch her. She just grabs you with her skating. I like how she uses her whole body and her movements seem very natural and fluid. Nothing forced or awkward. She also skates big. Uses the whole rink and gets close to the boards. A couple of months ago, I saw her working on her stroking so her team is aware she needs to keep pushing in all areas of her skating.

Good luck to her this week. I hope she skates her best and doesn't let the expectations get to her.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  33. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Unfortunately, she injured herself and has withdrawn from Canadians. Best of luck to Ms. Osmond, however.

:p
  34. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

New Kaetlyn Osmond article: http://olympic.ca/news/committee/osmond-carving-out-bright-future
    ETA article on Garrett Gosselin who speaks highly of Kaetlyn: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Ga...gure skating championships/7819812/story.html
    I thought this was an interesting comment, especially in light of Flora's practice report above (thanks, Flora!).
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  35. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That's a nasty cruel streak you've got there, PeterG. :lol:
  36. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The event is Canadian Ladies. Expecting her to win it isn't really expecting much - look at the competition.
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  37. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Oh oh......I guess my spelling sucks.......so go Katelyn...;)
  38. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It's Kaetlyn. I've gotten it wrong several times myself. :) I've never seen it spelled that way before.
  39. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I really appreciate her dynamic personality, and the way she appears to lay it all on the line. It is a joy to watch someone skate with such obvious love for what she is doing. I wish her well, and hope she does everything she wishes to accomplish this week. At the same time, I have to wish for a successful skate for Amelie. She has tried so hard these last years.
  40. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I just have to keep in mind who would do better at Worlds, and so far Amelie (as much as I like her) hasn't been able to make any progress.