Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Kaetlyn had a wonderful short - best of luck to her in the long
    GO KAETLYN - your very first GP too.

2. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Why am I not shocked? I think it's because I think this young lady has competition nerves..........Good luck to her in her long program. She shows such joy in her skating.

3. Tracer

Tracer New Member

Every pundit has been talking about the young Russian phenoms coming out with Gracie Gold joining that conversation. I think its fairly safe to say not many saw Kaetlyn's name be thrown in that conversation. I think that is going to change now, at just 16yrs, she is younger then some of those same skaters that everyone is talking about. Even if she doesn't win Skate Canada this year, she has already put her name out now as an up and coming skater.

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Joannie's successor! She really stole the show today in the SP; GREAT FOR HER! Wonderful flair and confidence and awesome amplitude on her jumps! :respec:

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

She still has some things to work on but she already appears to be able to conquer her nerves and goes out to compete hungry to win. In this sport that is already half the battle.

7. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Is she the first skater from Newfoundland to skate on the Grand Prix Circuit? I know she's from Edmonton now, but I think she spent her childhood years in Newfoundland.

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Joey Russell did during the Olympic season.

9. geoskate

:duh: How could I forget Joey Russell? Thanks for the correction.

10. browning

browning New Member

She was 10 i believe when she moved to train but that is over half her life and i bet she considers herself a Newfie :D..

11. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Wow for Kaetlyn!!!! Congratulations

12. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the LP to be shown on tv . Excited to see Kaetlyn, she really is fun to watch!

13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

With worlds in Canada she can be world champion - be a ladies version of s/p

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Kaetlyn - truly Canada'a hope!

15. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

Congratulations Kaetyln :) Great skates on your first two senior internationals. Ravi please guide her well and help her keep her head on straight ... please!

16. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I"m cautiously optimistic for her, hoping wishes won't burden her too much!!

17. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I hope Skate Canada keep supporting her but not pressuring her. I would hate to see another Cynthia Phaneuf situation.

18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Do you really need to stir up that hornet's nest? I mean, really? No one in their right mind think that Kaetlyn is anywhere near the world's podium let alone winning it. She's got a lot of competing to do before we get to worlds. Talk about exaggerating.

19. puglover

puglover Active Member

I am thrilled for Kaetlyn and also for her coach Ravi. They have been quoted many times as saying she loves to compete and that so far seems obvious. On another good note, she seems to have her adult body and to have survived those body changes already. I hope, also, they don't put too much pressure on her - she seems plenty self motivated.

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Well with the way Skate Canada over scored her in the LP it could happen. No way should she be getting the same PCS scores as Suzuki especially after Akiko skated a nearly flawless LP. That was just plain wrong but Canada has no problem propping up their skaters at SC as we've seen in the past.. Not taking anything away from Osmond but Suzuki should have won.

21. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Are all the judges at Skate Canada international Canadian?

Anyway, didn't Osmond have a 5+ points lead after the SP? I'm not seeing the scandal here. Osmond has good basics and her programs are full of transitions and detailed choreography.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

Agree. Her skating is not at any top skater's level yet. But look at her PCS . But well it's SC.
    Let's wait and see what she'll score when she skates outside of Canada.

23. geoskate

She already has skated outside of Canada (Nebelhorn) and won. Her scores there were very similar to here in the long program, with a slightly poorer skate there than she had here.

So we don't have to 'wait and see what she'll score when she skates outside of Canada'. We already know the answer to that.

I agree with those posters that say she has things to work on, but she has made very remarkable progress in the last two years. I have every confidence that the progress will continue this year, barring injury.

24. timmybopper

timmybopper New Member

I was JUST going to say the same thing... Sometimes too much hype (pressure?) too soon can be a bad thing...

25. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I thought the interview with Mike Slipchuk on TSN last night was a good sign. He basically said that they just let her and Ravi do their thing and not get in the way, which is absolutely the right approach in my opinion.

I almost wonder if not having a second GP event could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It would be great for her to get out to another competition and get more World ranking points, but without another GP there's no pressure to make the GPF and extra training time at home to work on basic skating and potentially adding difficulty (triple loop in the FP, harder triple-triple in the short).

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  26. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Any pressure on Kaetlyn would likely inadvertently come from fans via the internet.

27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

And these fans would be? I haven't seen any pressure for Osmond--at least nothing over the top. She's not exactly the Men's Hockey Team.

28. Tracer

Tracer New Member

People need to not fixiat on Kaetlyn's PCS so much, she had those same scores in Nebelhorn. As for Kaetlyn's skating I'm surprised people are allowing themselves to be distracted when we have a young skater who is only 16 who debuted this well. We should be applauding her fierce determination. After all we had some serious blow ups for the ladies in Skate Canada which for me was highly dissappointing. I'm very glad to see Kaetlyn pull it through and win Skate Canada, she deserves congratualations for her effort.

What I wonder is will she be able to get another spot for another Grand Prix event so she can qualify for the finals? I'd like to see Kaetlyn there.

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think Osmond was rightly scored. It was Suzuki that was underscored.

30. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Fans in general. It can't be helped, but it happens. Fortunately, Kaetlyn appears to be keeping a level head.

"Even after five years, Vipond is still impressed with Osmond's ability to take things in stride. He assumes she's read things on the Internet touting her as the Canadian lady of the moment, the one who'll make an impact on the international scene, but she doesn't let the pressure get to her. Walia enables her to sustain that attitude by keeping to a plan for steady progress."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121010&content_id=39663386&vkey=ice_news