Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I think Kaetlyn is fine with Ravi, she was injured this season so we can't really say how this second season compared, she didn't get a chance to compete and so she wasn't at peak form at the Olympics. As for her weight? Seriously? She's fine, she has a healthy looking body, not a skinny ballerina.

I think she can make top ten at World's, still.

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  2. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I vote against Frank Carroll, and for Ravi, also. She's fine where she is.

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

A top ten finish is good. She has just recovered from injury so I am not expecting too much. I would rather that she heals well then rush and risk another injury.

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

This girl has guts. She's overcome two significant injuries this year and competed well at the Olympics taking all that into consideration. She's a healthy 18 year old with no weight problem, and she's very strong. I like her look on the ice. She's quite tall as I stood next to her for a brief time and she's at least 2-3 inches taller than me which puts her at about 5'6" or so. She's no "pwetty pwincess" for sure and I like that about her. Here's hoping she's having her "peak" right now, and that her head's on straight :).

5. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Clarie,
    We are almost at 1000 think of a new title.

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I did not say she had a weight problem. When will people on here understand the distinction between skater weights and normal/non-skater weights? Ashley lost a few pounds after nationals. Nobody would say she had a weight problem then. The extra slimming still made her more competitive for the Olympics. Kaetlyn would not die from being a pound or two less.

7. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 New Member

If Kaetlyn does not have a "weight problem" how would she benefit from being a lb or 2 less? She looks great as she is; love her joie de vivre and I'd like to see her stay with Ravi. :)

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She could lose about 10 pounds actually, and I think it would help with her jumps. Her butt pulls her back in the air. It makes it harder to save her jumps.

9. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I do agree, she is an elite/professional athlete, not a girl in year 12 getting ready for the school ball. It doesn't seem that she is in peak condition.

10. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, Emdee, we do need a new title...............I'm thinking lol. Perhaps the light bulbs will appear during worlds.......can't think of anything right now.

11. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

WTF There is no way Kaetlyn could lose near 10 pounds.

If you'd seen the girl in person you'd realize that she'd be bones if she lost 10 pounds. She is puny. Could afford a couple pounds like Ashley did but sheesh some people have no clue.

How much do you weigh, missIronLady? :shuffle:

12. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

No she isn't in peak condition she is coming off 2 injuries.

13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Come on Clarie....think think think.
    Maybe Spiky will have a suggestion..

14. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Well there you go.

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yes I agree. Hence she could be thinner.

16. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Peak condition does not necessarily translate to being thinner. Actually I've seen some people, who when at their physical peak, actually look larger because of their muscle mass.

I like the way she looks. IIRC, she's already hit the puberty monster and has mostly settled into her "adult" female body. She looks healthy and ready to compete. Good luck at Worlds. You go girl.

17. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I have a SERIOUS problem with people going on the internet and criticizing the weight of skaters in particular. These skaters you talk about read these forums, and so do other skaters who will compare themselves to the aforementioned skaters, and so do hundreds of regular everyday people. Skaters are very prone to disordered eating already, they don't need crazy cat ladies on the internet criticizing their weight. Hundreds of girls will read the posts above and think "Oh dear Kaetlyn is much skinnier than me and people on the internet are telling her she needs to lose 10 pounds, well what about me?"

My sister is a (now former) promising competitive figure skater who suffers from an eating disorder that took her out of the sport completely. She starved herself so thin to the point where it was not just her skating in jeopardy, it was her life. These issues are real, and they exist at all levels of skating and obviously beyond skating aswell. Think about that before you post about skaters' weights.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Really, Geh, danafan and 3 others like this.
  18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

This statement is beyond ridiculous, if not nonsensical. WTF does "her butt pull[ing] her back in the air" mean? You have obviously never seen her skate, or jump, in person.

19. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Kaetlyn may be a D student in the John Curry School of Ice Ballet, but by the same token John could not have pulled off the juicy exuberance of "Mambo" or commandful sway of "Sweet Charity". She holds her own with her own style and that's why we like her.

20. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

?? :confused: ??

She looks fine the way she is. She's in good shape, and certainly isn't overweight.

21. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

I love Kaetlyn's confidence. She's just so much fun to watch. :)

I hope she recovers completely from her injuries and gets :kickass: programs for next year.

We definitely need a good title for the new thread, but I can't think of anything.

22. spikydurian

How about Kaetlyn Osmond - Naturally Charming and Vivacious?

23. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Howzabout Kaetlyn Osmond: The Face of Ladies Skating, The Face Of Joy? It is one characteristic I noticed about her, she always draws the viewer into her joy when she skates.

24. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Those are terrible. Kaetlyn Osmond News thread? :p

25. spikydurian

That's a most creative thread title! Thank you.:D

26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

How about "Kaetlyn Osmond: the "IT" girl"..............terrible? or "presence on ice".........not so bad?, or "Sweet and Saucy"......it's 6.53 a.m. That's about as good as I can do right now :lol:

27. spikydurian

Sweet and saucy... now that makes me think of 'ketchup', clarie!! :lol:
    I quite like dot dot's 'face of joy'?
    Corianna, can you think of something? Something fun yet strong which I think is very Kaetlyn.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

"Last year, she won the national championship at age 17, leapfrogging several skaters who were older, more experienced and seemingly primed for an Olympic bid. At that point, Skate Canada officials began talking to her seriously about Sochi."

This was a quote from the Globe and Mail during the Olympics. I'm curious what other Canadian ladies "primed" for the Olympics they are thinking of. There really was nobody primed so to speak. Skate Canada feeds the press some big stuff.

29. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Amelie Lacoste would be one...

30. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I think TheIronLady is saying that her form could be tighter in the air, giving her faster rotations, which I sort of agree. Her jumps are big, but also quite wild, and the rotations quite slow. I think having a tighter air position would make the jumps easier to land, improving her consistency. I definitely don't think she should lose 10 pounds though.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.