Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. blueglass

blueglass New Member

It was discussed on a segment CBC did on her last year that aired during Worlds I think - that at the beginning of each season Ravi sits down with the family and lays out the expenses for the year and determines what competitions they could afford. She must get some extra funding now but she's not in the same league as those choreographers.

2. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

What about Shae Lyn? Does she do choreo for ladies? or is that a stupid question?

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Shae Lynn did choreo for Akiko (her West Side Story comes to mind). And the comparisons between Akiko and Kaetlyn have been raised, so I like that idea too.

4. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I like Shae's choreo, so I also like this idea.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

As I recall, she receives some sponsorship from a legal firm. However, I don't know how much.

6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Well, at least she has a chance to earn some decent $$$ doing all of CSOI this year. I'm sure she'll be a huge asset. She's such a "star" :). Not that she really needs to elevate her performance skills, but it will be a valuabe experience for her too, as well as taking some of the financial burden off her parents.

7. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

The law firm is Cassels Brock, and she's also sponsored by Mosaic Energy. I doubt that either of these sponsorships is that large.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Good luck in the free, Kaetlyn! A bit nervous today, but understandable. Let it fly, tomorrw.

9. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Why was her last spin only called at a level 1?

10. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Disappointed for Katelyn today. I always want to see her skate well as I find her to be one of the most interesting/entertaining skaters in the field. Hope she can finish strong tomorrow.

ETA: clarie, Shae-Lynn Bourne also choreographed Ashley Wagner's current SP.

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Lets hope our Kaetlyn and Gaby have great skates and can move up in the standings. I sure hope she can crack the top 10. :)

12. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Shae also did choreo for Ashley Wagner, including her Pink Floyd SP.

13. puglover

puglover Active Member

Last night on CBC they were discussing two programs online where people could donate money to help with the expenses athletes and their families have to face. I tried to jot them down - I think "make a chance" and "pursue it". The way the described it - an athlete would outline a specific purpose for the request - eg. training, wanting to participate in a competition, equipment - and the amount they need. They mentioned some athlete who had knit and sent hats for people who donated to her as a thank you. They also mentioned "crowd funding" but that might be a US site for their athletes.

14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

She is still young , but I really hope Kaetlyn could soon prove to be a good competitor. I'm not convinced that she is one, yet.

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope Kaetlyn and Gabby can do better at Worlds. 13 + 16 = 29, back down to one spot for 2015. Luckily a few Olympic competitors will probably skip it.

16. figuristka

figuristka Member

Well skated until she got tired at the end. Love the program. Would have had her 1 or 2 places higher in free but on the Worlds where we hope skater's get their fair chance with marks.

17. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I've tried to like this year's LP, but I still much prefer Carmen to Cleopetra. Carmen was such a beautiful program when skated to its potential and the performance just came so naturally for her.

18. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think she had a longer time to practice in 2012 with an injury free season and she was so trained by the fall.
    This year with the injury she lost a lot of time.

I was hoping for top ten but not to be!

19. Fruit Loops

Fruit Loops New Member

I thought Kaetlyn did well today considering her lack of training. I hope she gets a good rest for Worlds!

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who thinks Shae Lynn would be a great choreographer for her! I think her programs need a little bit more work on that front and I think Shae would be a good fit for Kaetlyn.

Also good to come to her cheer thread as on some forums there is such vitriol towards her and it's so baffling to me that a second-level skater is on the receiving end of such hate and mockery.

20. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

:confused: Why, because she can actually perform? I also thought that she did well despite the lack of training. It is too bad that she had to go so early to Russia, it would have been to stay home and train, some goes with Gabby.

21. blueglass

blueglass New Member

It's best to ignore them. I just read a study that found these posters had both sadistic and psychopathic tendencies.
    I think we're lucky Kaetlyn has skated as well as she has after the injuries she suffered. Her SP let her down this time, but by Worlds she should be good for top ten. Next year they've got to up the difficulty in her LP though and give her a program with more maturity.

22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Skating aside. Her showmanship is terrific and she did look absolutely stunning out there. She has very dramatic coloring with her dark hair and fair skin, and at least her costuming was very mature. Work cut out for next year.

23. puglover

puglover Active Member

She did both programs in the team event, as did Yulia. I wonder if that had any effect on them. We have heard for years how tired the athletes are after the Olympics and often struggle at the Worlds that follow a month later. She definitely had the pressure on her to hold up the Ladies to help Canada medal and she did that, especially in the short, so I would say she had a very successful first Olympics.

24. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Cute video from CBC NL: Kaetlyn Osmond already hoping for 2nd Olympic run

Apparently her hamstring injury has flared up again :(: Even with three medals, Olympics a letdown for Skate Canada

Considering she’s only been fully training these programs for about 8 weeks, I think she did a pretty decent job. :) She’s in Sochi to gain experience and she certainly got that! :lol: Her draw for the FP wasn’t the greatest, which likely contributed to her remaining in 13th.

Jeff Buttle has done choreography for women before. He choreographed a program for Alaine Chartand last season, and also did one of Joannie’s CSOI numbers. I watched how Kaetlyn handled his choreo in the group number at the nats gala this year, and she seemed to pick it up easily. He’d be my first choice if he wanted to try a different choreographer. Not sure if either Wilson or Nichol would be a good fit. Shae-Lynn would either be absolutely fabulous or absolutely horrible. But I wouldn’t hold my breath about her leaving Vipond any time soon. She’s mentioned a number of times that she considers him part of her team.

25. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Kaetlyn has nothing to be ashamed of -- she certainly didn't get any benefits from the draw, and to learn that her hamstring has been acting up again makes what she's achieved in the past few days more remarkable. I'm looking forward to seeing what she (and Gabby!) has to offer next year!

26. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Hey, Kaetlyn has a silver medal! That's pretty awesome for a first Olympic outing.

27. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that her injury has flared up again. I hope she skips Worlds if needed and really takes the off season to let the injury heal. I'd be so crashed if this injury puts the rest of her career in jeopardy. She has too much talent.

28. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

In fact, his first (to my knowledge) program that he choreographed was for a woman, as he was one of the choreographers for Yuna Kim's Papa Can You Hear me program in juniors.

I don't know that she would leave Vipond but perhaps she would consider having one program a year with a new choreographer. I think it's good to experiment in order to develop and grow. That said, I think Vipond's programs have been really good for her. This year's programs might have been developed further if not for all the injury problems.

29. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I like Kaetlyn, she's cute, talented, always effervescent on the ice, just a joy to watch! I hope she does continue to the next Olympics, and I wish her well.

30. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:cheer: :encore: