Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

She does appear in a group photo titled "Opening Ceremony" wearing her jacket. Perhaps she did march, but became separated from Ravi.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Still going on about Ashley Wagner's sponsors are you? ;)

Now THIS, I can agree with :D They are the top 2 worlds best in this department, to the point that I am honoured to watch both skaters. My Olympics are living for these two (and then Virtue and Moir aswell). Good luck in the Team Short KO :)

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

I hope that’s the case. Marching in the Opening Ceremonies is such a big part of the Olympic experience. I can’t see Ravi participating if she wasn’t going to be there too. Here’s the team photo: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf4xX2sCQAEuFQQ.jpg:large She looks good in red. :)

So she skates first today which is probably not so good for her PCS but might be good for her nerves. Definitely will be good for my nerves because I’ll be at the hairdresser when she’s on the ice. :lol: Good luck Kaetlyn!!! Go out there and :kickass:!

4. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Depends on whether it was Ravi's first Olympics also. However if Kaetlyn was busy training, Ravi would likely have been with her.

Hmmmm, I did see Camerlengo, Christy Krall, and Kathy Johnson marching. Except for Camerlengo, none of the other coaches were near their skaters.

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good luck to KO and the team tonight.

6. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

That was great!!

7. bunhead

bunhead Member

AWESOME! KO made it look easy! How can you not love her?

8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That was terrrific......so happy for her to nail everything.........questioning her marks though........does anyone think they were a tad low?

Here's hoping she can skate lights out in her singles comps....just like she did here.

9. princeton123

princeton123 Member

Excellent skate from Katelyn. Great competitor

10. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I expected higher as well. But an awesome skate!

11. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Good for Kaetlyn. Apparently she nearly bested Wagner.
    I have not seen her skate yet (just the scores), but she has score about 65ish PB.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  12. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Great skate a little low in marks but she did her job on the team.

13. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Wonderful skate for Osmond and if she'd skated later she would have been ahead of Wagner. But still a good placement. Julia's seemed a little high to me - thought she was off balance in places. I would have had the top two reversed.

14. puglover

puglover Active Member

She lights up the rink! I just love that girl.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Kaetlyn i s lovely and quite a performer!

16. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Great performance!!!! :encore:

17. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I agree she did a great short program, no sign of nerves at all! I think if she hadn't skated first she would have ended up a little higher.. Hope she has a great experience..

18. Skate97

Skate97 New Member

It seems Kaetlyn was chosen for a random doping test earlier in the day:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports...kaetlyn-osmond-woken-for-doping-test-in-sochi

I'm all for anti-doping, but I don't think they should be unexpectedly testing athletes on a competition day before the competition. Elite athletes likely have their competition days meticulously planned out. Luckily Kaetlyn had the mental fortitude not to be thrown by a change in schedule, but some athletes likely would be affected by it.

Anyway, great skate from Kaetlyn.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Dr.Siouxs

Wow wtf? :huh:

20. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

So proud of Kaetlyn for laying down a good Team short and with the 3rd highest TES of the ladies field (WTG); this bodes well for her future and hopefully another good solid skate in the team free might actually help to bump up her PCS in the individual competition, where the pressure will ease off so she can skate with more of her usual abandon and joy!

I really Loved Carolina's SP, it was much better than the sp she skated at Euro's, yeah, yeah, I know it was not as technically difficult as Lip's, but it was a beautiful and MATURE performance that I really appreciated.

Julia a tad overscored but not unexpected, given as both she and Sotnikova have been hyped for OLY medals all season! Folks want to believe a Russian would be no better than bronze, citing PCS would work magic for older contender's - not quite true when you have home ice advantage and some major politicking going for you. Writing for Kostner was on Euro results wall...Asada landing 3a looking to be more risk than reward now, but ya never know she could get lucky now that she has had an OLy runthrough to get out the jitters, and for Mao it's not so much about just adding to her already impressive hardware collection; it is all about winning gold this time. Thus staying in her comfort zone, skating safe to guarantee a medal just doesn't cut it, it's all or nothing.

Still a major obstacle to the ladies crown has yet to be seen and the individual events may hopefully be a bit more evenly scored, but I think at this point Queen Yuna may be the only lady capable of holding off the Russians.

In any case I am even more impressed by Osmond now given the circumstances...

21. shutterbug

More on the random drug testing issue plus some quotes from Kaetlyn (warning - Rosie DiManno article): Kaetlyn Osmond latest in long line of Canadian skaters in Sochi to undergo drug testing

Good thing she’s an easy-going kid :lol::

So happy for Kaetlyn right now. :cheer2: Just a great job. Fingers crossed that she can do it again in the FP. Thankfully she’s in the last group so her PCS should be higher.

Question – will the start order for the individual SP be determined in the same manner as it was in the team event?

22. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

No, so far the free program start list has been based on world ranking but they haven't posted the start list for tomorrow's free skates - by the way there is only one group for the free skate.

23. shutterbug

D'oh! :eek: [size=-3]I actually did know that.....[/size]

2nd question - with regard to start order at Worlds, do the Olympic results count toward the world rankings? I'm just hating the thought that Kaetlyn will have to claw her way up from the bottom at so many competitions this season. :(

24. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Makes sense since they can have 5 skaters or 5 ice dance teams on the ice for the warm up. Pairs was the only discipline where more than 4 pairs on the ice is too dangerous.

Kaetlyn is only 18. She will have lots of time in the future to establish herself. By the middle of next season she should be in good shape.

25. Doozy

Doozy New Member

She skated well and she has a great smile. Rooting for her.

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Katelyn was fabulous! :cheer:

27. shutterbug

Kaetlyn is currently 38th in the world standings. Answering my own question, it looks as though the Olympic results do count toward world rankings, so her standing should improve if she finishes well here.

On an interesting side note, Diana Swain spoke with Brenda Irving, Kurt Browning and Carol Lane about the drug testing issue today on CBC Morning. Kurt was somewhat outraged, but Carol in her typical no nonsense fashion said that the athletes know to be prepared for anything at a competition, and should not find being asked to provide a sample a distraction.

28. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Fingers x'd for Kaetlyn today in the LP. She has beaten all but one before. Here's hoping she has a terrific skate today and moves up :). I know she can do it!!!

29. Dr.Siouxs

Olympic Silver Medalist!! :encore:

30. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Kaetlyn's so much fun to watch on the ice; even with mistakes she has a great sense of audience and performance....kind of like another of my favorites Akiko Suzuki. Certainly one of the skaters to keep an eye on in this next quadrennial. Lots and lots of potential still to be tapped, developed, refined.