Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Kaetlyn just skated her SP at Challenge, and it wasn't too good. :confused:

3t+3t-so, 3f<< fall, 2a-so. She's in 5th behind Daleman (61.25), Mallet, Chartrand and Seguin.

If she wasn't quite ready for her SP, the FS could be too much of a challenge for her.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Really sorry to hear that. Awful timing for Kaetlyn to be injured. She is a very promising skater, who has all the components to do well, I believe, when she's fit and uninjured. I hope she's not trying too much too soon.

O-

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Feel bad for her :( What Team Canadawill made without her at Team cometition?

4. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

She has time before Nationals, and further time before Sochi. Best idea is for her to try and avoid injury!

There is no way that any other Canadian lady will be in the team event in Sochi. Osmond is relatively untested compared to world level competitors, but nothing like the "Junior up and comers". They have promise, but Kaetlyn has it factor and more experience. Not to mention she's established on the world level.

5. Flora

Flora Member

I posted this in the Skate Challenge thread:
    I didn't want to say anything in case she was having a bad day but I saw her train at the mall on Monday on probably her last session of the day. She was working mainly on choreography but the few jumps that she did were all bad. Falls on the solo triple toe and then fall on the second toe if she managed to get the first one in. Turn out on double axels and triple flips that I saw. It almost seemed to me that she's still injured but again, I don't know.

I'll add that after one of her falls, she went off the ice and was gone for quite some time. Whoever suggested the injury maybe more serious could be onto something. I felt so bad for her, she looked discouraged and unhappy. Hopefully she's not pushing herself too hard.

6. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

((((((Kaetlyn))))) If someone could fill me in, does she need this qualifying event or is she just trying to test her programs?

7. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Seems like a strange decision to have her skate here then.

I wonder why she is so injury prone? Overtraining ? Bad luck?

8. blueglass

blueglass New Member

It doesn't sound very promising for her to be ready for Canadians. Is there any chance SC would name her to Sochi without her competing at Canadians? That would give her two months to train.

9. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

It's a month to Nationals, and that's why I thought it wasn't a good idea for Kaetlyn to test her recovery by skating at Challenge. Her Challenge SP really wasn't any better than her SC SP.

10. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

She does not need to qualify for Nationals. She is the reigning national champion.

11. Yunabot

Yunabot New Member

Maybe that is what is holding her back. I call it the Canadian Syndrome where greatness means holding your own with the best of the world. Other national powers think greatness means being better than anyone else.

12. Flora

Flora Member

I'm hoping the lack of training time could explain her skating at the moment and that maybe she just needs more time to get back into top shape. I think there's a good chance she can still do well at Nationals if it's a matter of training and not injury. A month is a long time to build back up if you're healthy and even if she could land 4 triples, it should be enough to go to Sochi (which would give her another month of training).

13. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Not sure what your point is. How does that relate to whether Kaetlyn has a bye to Nationals?

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think her injury has affected her training. :(

15. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

...or too much celebrating at yesterdays birthday party :lol:

16. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Osmond places fifth in short program at Skate Canada Challenge

Yep and yep. This is a good indicator for her of where she's really at in her training. Plus, she's dealing with the added weight of being the reigning Canadian champion. That can be a heavy load - just ask Kirsten Moore-Towers. But Kaetlyn, like Kirsten, is a natural competitor, so hopefully this will fuel her desire to keep training hard. Let's see how she looks in the FP this afternoon.

:lol: Maybe too much "root beer"? ;) The legal drinking age in Alberta is 18....... (and I'm totally kidding)

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

She's just coming off 2 fairly serious injuries causing lots of training time lost. She's too hard on herself. She'll be fine if she stays healthy and can train smartly for Canadians.

18. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Fact of the matter is, Rochette is still Canada's best female. Given her performance at the Pro-Am, Joannie would easily be the bes choice for Sochi. Is there any chance of convincing her to even give the team comp a try?

19. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

She has closed that door and so, should we.

20. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Osmond skated much better in the free skate at the Challenge, same jump layout as last year, doubled the second flip and singled the second axel. Other jumps were solid.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Good for Kaetlyn!

Re-posting unofficial scores from the Challenge thread in Kiss and Cry:

22. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Yes, in the free skate she looked like she was back on the road towards where she wants to be.

I enjoyed the free skate. It shows off her speed and power in a way that last year's free skate did not do.

23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Fixed clarie's article link :): http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...enior-womens-title-at-skate-canada-challenge/
    Excerpt:

25. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Yes. Me likey this program very much. Definitely a step forward.

I was also particularly pleased with her improved control. You can see her consciously correcting her mistakes from the SP and remembering to bring her free side around on her jump landings. She wasn't really able to do that last season.

This made me chuckle:

And just this past spring she was mourning the loss of her Carmen FP. :lol: Reminds you that she's still very much a teenager.

26. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

I thought the lutz looked much improved. She didn't get an edge call and it looked like a clean outside edge to me...thoughts? She got GOE on it too.

27. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I agree on the lutz - I was actually surprised by how easy and clean it looked whereas last season it was kind of ugly even when she landed it. I'm glad to see that her season looks like it is back on track and to hear that she was pain-free as the short had been very concerning. Good decision by the team to simplify some of the program at the end because it was clear that stamina was an issue in the long with the lost training time.

28. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

She flutzed it! You can clearly see it on the streaming even that she didn't go to the outside edge. I don't know why the tech caller didn't call it?

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  29. hohoho

hohoho Active Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. puglover

puglover Active Member

I love the fact that Kaetlyn seems to have such great competitive nerves. I really do sense that she loves to compete. She has found herself unexpectedly in first place after the short eg. last year's Skate Canada - and not gotten rattled. She handled the pressure of her first World's in Canada - only shot for earning Canada two ladies spots for the Olympics - and she handled that with confidence - skating a fantastic short and good long to finish top ten. She obviously chose to do Challenge even though she had a bye and after a less then stellar short - came blazing back in the long to capture the title. I don't think you can teach that - it is a gift.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.