Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Yes, the West Edmonton mall is her home base rink (Ice Palace FSC). It is the largest mall in North America, and a tourist attraction. She likely has plenty of spectators watching her daily, especially now that she has acquired national/international fame. Probably part of the reason why she is good at performing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    Hanna and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

My daughter skated at the Ice Palace for one year (and even had Ravi Walia as a coach!), and didn't mind skating in the mall at all. The ice level is lower than the main floor level, so it's not like shoppers are staring the skaters right in the face. They certainly do get comfortable 'performing' in front of people because that mall is rarely empty, especially at the times when the IP has ice!

3. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

The Ice Palace FSC also uses ice at two other arenas in Edmonton, in addition to the mall. They are only on mall ice on Monday and Thursday. And Saturday morning for the younger skaters.

Hanna and (deleted member) like this.
  4. FreeAgent

FreeAgent New Member

Hi everyone,

I am mostly a lurker but once in while, when I feel compelled to, I post in some threads. I was just reading the recently updated ISU bios, and the one for Kaetlyn says "Salome" Dance of the Seven Veils for the FD. I know that the Skate Canada site still says Cleopatra but now I'm wondering if she changed her program after her time with Franck Caroll.

I really wasn't sure about the Cleopatra free, even though it was an early showing and she wasn't ready for the season. I would love to see her do Salome despite the Michelle Kwan connection.

Anyone heard anything:sekret:

Barbie

5. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

fsfann22 had posted that question earlier within this thread re: Salome on the Skate Canada site bio (post #680). I had checked the link at the time, and it did say Salome. The next day it switched to Cleopatra. I guess someone may have read the thread, and made the correction. Every article I have read about Kaetlyn mentions Cleopatra, including herself. I suspect there was an error, and the ISU site was never corrected.

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

So, do you guys think Osmond will be injury-free by CoR?

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing clarie. Good to hear that she should be back on the ice by next week. :) I was a little concerned when I noticed her gait was uneven during her warm up jogging, then when she left the practice with the team doctor right after her run through I started to really worry. Definitely a smart decision to withdraw.

What I’m not concerned about any longer though, is her Cleopatra FP. She mentioned that she worked on the choreo when she was off the ice with her ankle, and it’s obvious. Powerful program that shows off her strength and speed very well. And her new dress is just lovely. I typically don’t care for elaborate costumes, but this one is very flattering on her and very sparkly under the lights. I snapped a few photos:

http://skateshutterbug.zenfolio.com/p74220541/h12113c26#h3968d8d5
    http://skateshutterbug.zenfolio.com/p74220541/h18042c78#h18042c78
    http://skateshutterbug.zenfolio.com/p74220541/h18042c78#h12113c26

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  10. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Oh Shutterbug, thank you for the pics. I caught a brief glimpse while watching TV, but couldn't see the details. That is a gorgeous dress, and yes, very flattering. I'm assuming she actually did have a run-thru of her program without the jumps then. I glad to hear about the improvements in the LP :)

11. honey

honey Active Member

Lovely dress!

Listening to her interview though and a partially torn hamstring doesn't sound good :(

12. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I agree. I'm no expert but wouldn't it be better for her to skip her next GP stop and just let herself heal for Canadians?

13. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Here's a video of one of Kaetlyn's FS run-throughs from SC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqw7H8yehQ

14. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

n.m.

15. shutterbug

A little more info on Kaetlyn's injury from Tracy Wilson's TSN blog: WILSON: REASONS FOR OPTIMISM FROM CANADA'S FIGURE SKATERS

In medical lingo, "tear" = "strain", and the severity of the strain is classified by grade. 7 - 10 days is the normal recovery period for a grade 1 (mildest) strain, so I'm guessing/hoping that it's not that serious. Ravi seems to be pretty good about pacing her training to ensure that she doesn't overdo it. Fingers crossed that all goes well and she is able to make it to Russia.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Unfortunately, Kaetlyn has WD from Rostelecom Cup - link to the GP Assignments thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ympic-Season&p=4047402&viewfull=1#post4047402

ETA that this was posted in the Canadian ladies über thread earlier today:

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:( With 4CCs in Taipei I am guessing that means she isn't going to compete internationally before Sochi? Her long program is still untested. Darn it.

19. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

True but with all the ice time she has missed, this is probably the lesser of two evils.

20. shutterbug

After watching Lawrence/Swiegers compete at SC & NHK with watered-down programs because of Paige's injury, I think this is probably a wise idea. There's no chance of her making the GPF, so why interrupt her treatment schedule to go overseas and skate programs that aren't fully trained? Competing at Challenge isn't the best way to get feedback on her FP, but at least she'll be able to skate it in front of a judging panel (albeit a slightly biased one :lol:). If she does compete at Challenge, the senior women's events run on Dec. 6 & 7, 2013.

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

There's always the Bavarian Open, lol! It's probably too close to the start of the team competition, but I think there will be an ISU caller and judging panel there. There are a couple of smallish internationals in Europe in late January, iirc.

22. shutterbug

23. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

24. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

I read this article last night. It shows that the injury is much more serious than her team has led everyone to believe. I dated a sprinter, when I was younger, who had a tear in his hamstring and it took him over six months before he could sprint full out again. Every time it started to feel good with easy running, he would re-tear it when ever he tried to do full out sprints. Hope her recovery is fast, but I also hope she takes her time as well.

25. shine

shine Well-Known Member

She'll only be 22 in 2018. I hope her team makes the wisest decision and give the injury enough time to fully recover.

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Her best chance at an Olympic gold in her career will likely be the team event at this year's Olympics. No offence to the up and coming male skaters and dance teams, but I do not foresee such overwhelming champions like Chan and V&M in the near future.

27. shutterbug

Heads up for anyone who plans to watch Kaetlyn compete at Challenge – she will skate her SP in Group 5 on Friday, Dec. 6/13. This is scheduled to start at 2:35 pm CST. The live streaming of the event is by subscription only. Here is a link to the sign up page for subscription: https://members.skatecanada.ca/memberreg/logonSkateTV_moNew1.cfm?strLang=E

Kaetlyn’s most recent tweets have been sounding very positive, so hopefully she’ll be able to lay down 2 skates that she and Ravi will be happy with. :) I’m very much looking forward to seeing her FP skated with more content.

28. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I don't know why Kaetlyn is skating in this event when she doesn't have to. If she skates full out and reinjures herself, what will she have gained? Even if she doesn't reinjure herself, she will have taken an unnecessary risk.

Nationals is necessary. Challenge is not.

OTOH, I don't see why Amelie isn't skating here. This is a lower pressure event than Nationals and it wouldn't hurt her a bit to get more mileage on her programs and maybe feel a bit more comfortable out on the ice.

29. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Probably to get some competitive mileage on her programs, something she has not been able to do this fall. Having only one summer outing before trying to qualify for the Olympics isn't usually the best strategy for a competitive skater.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  30. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

2:35 pm CST should be about 3:35 pm EST. I will be on a commuter train heading home. I am not certain if I can get back in time. In any case, I guess we will learn tomorrow what condition she is in after the injury.

Good luck Kaetlyn, and happy birthday (turned 18 today).