Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

It appears Kaetlyn is skating in the full CSOI tour this year. Also included are Virtue & Moir, Chan, Buttle, Rochette, Sawyer, Duhamel & Radford, Weaver & Poje, and Browning. Considering how new Kaetlyn is, this is quite the accomplishment. Others have taken years before receiving an invitation. Together with her fame as Canadian champion, her performance skills make her an ideal participant.
  2. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That, indeed, is great news. She will benefit by this for certain.
  3. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Bring it on in the SP, Kaetlyn! <3
  4. puglover

puglover Active Member

I have my tickets for CSOI - sounds like a fantastic line up! Go Kaetlyn!
  5. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

I love Kaetlyn's joyful performances. She's a natural. Wow. I am sooo jealous. No SOIs in Down Under. Maybe I could email them and ask them the possibility of touring in Australia!
  6. puglover

puglover Active Member

Hey - but if you live in Australia I am jealous!!
  7. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

I have my ticket for CSOI as well. If I may make a suggestion for fans if you have a printer: Google images for '(your province/state)/Silhouette' 'Heart' and 'Kaetlyn Osmond' and print out each one. Then arrange them with tape or glue on an 8X10 blank sheet in a way that reads symbolically, say: "Manitoba Loves Kaetlyn". Take it to a local printing shop and have them put it on a t-shirt. Joining the CSOI Fan Club gives you a chance for a 'Meet & Greet' with cast members. There is no guarantee on who you'll meet, only that it will be at least two skaters. On the lucky chance that you do meet her, her reaction to the shirt will be a sweet memory for both of you, not to mention a great photo.
  8. blueglass

blueglass New Member

That's great for her. I hope MTM get an invite too.
  9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

10. fscric

fscric Active Member

Good luck with the competition!
  11. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Oh yay! :cheer2: I was hoping she'd be invited to do at least western Canada, but this is fabulous. She'll be a great addition.

Best of luck to her tomorrow!!! I might be too nervous to watch live. Ack. Better me than her I guess. :lol:
  12. Enchanted

Enchanted New Member

Can you explain me why Kaetlyn's transition scores have been so low in Sochi?

Weird interview. I thought she graduated last summer.

Anyway Good Luck for tomorrow!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Let's hope she uses this opportunity to expand her horizons and learn from the top skaters. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt because of all of her injuries, but I was really expecting better programs this year. She has the technical ability but it seems as though her short in particular is very juniorish this year. I am not expecting coaching changes or anything like that, just hoping for possible collaboration with someone outside the team to spice things up a bita
  14. ichiro

ichiro Member

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't mind her staying to Lance Vipond for the short, but maybe getting outside help for the long. I wouldn't mind..Lorri, David W, or anyone else :)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I too think that David or Lori could be wonderful for her.
  16. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Emdee, you forgot Jeff Buttle.:)
  17. blueglass

blueglass New Member

From what I've read previously, I don't think her family could afford the cost of the choreographers suggested here, especially not Nichols or Wilson. I agree it's time to bring some maturity into her programs. Who is there out there?
  18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't know that costs was an issue for her. Where can you donate money? Is Buttle expensive too? I would also like to see her work with Rohene Ward. I think she'd work well with him.
  19. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Don't recall Buttles style for women. Both David and Lori are tried and true for women.
    Lori will give her improved technical footwork. David will give a program to suit her personality.
  20. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Dubreil and Lausanne waitressed in summer to put them through their training.
    As an Olympian KO may get some support now.
  21. blueglass

blueglass New Member

It was discussed on a segment CBC did on her last year that aired during Worlds I think - that at the beginning of each season Ravi sits down with the family and lays out the expenses for the year and determines what competitions they could afford. She must get some extra funding now but she's not in the same league as those choreographers.
  22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

What about Shae Lyn? Does she do choreo for ladies? or is that a stupid question?
  23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Shae Lynn did choreo for Akiko (her West Side Story comes to mind). And the comparisons between Akiko and Kaetlyn have been raised, so I like that idea too.
  24. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I like Shae's choreo, so I also like this idea.
  25. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

As I recall, she receives some sponsorship from a legal firm. However, I don't know how much.
  26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Well, at least she has a chance to earn some decent $$$ doing all of CSOI this year. I'm sure she'll be a huge asset. She's such a "star" :). Not that she really needs to elevate her performance skills, but it will be a valuabe experience for her too, as well as taking some of the financial burden off her parents.
  27. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

The law firm is Cassels Brock, and she's also sponsored by Mosaic Energy. I doubt that either of these sponsorships is that large.
  28. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Good luck in the free, Kaetlyn! A bit nervous today, but understandable. Let it fly, tomorrw.
  29. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Why was her last spin only called at a level 1?
  30. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Disappointed for Katelyn today. I always want to see her skate well as I find her to be one of the most interesting/entertaining skaters in the field. Hope she can finish strong tomorrow.

ETA: clarie, Shae-Lynn Bourne also choreographed Ashley Wagner's current SP.
  31. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Lets hope our Kaetlyn and Gaby have great skates and can move up in the standings. I sure hope she can crack the top 10. :)
  32. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

Shae also did choreo for Ashley Wagner, including her Pink Floyd SP.
  33. puglover

puglover Active Member

Last night on CBC they were discussing two programs online where people could donate money to help with the expenses athletes and their families have to face. I tried to jot them down - I think "make a chance" and "pursue it". The way the described it - an athlete would outline a specific purpose for the request - eg. training, wanting to participate in a competition, equipment - and the amount they need. They mentioned some athlete who had knit and sent hats for people who donated to her as a thank you. They also mentioned "crowd funding" but that might be a US site for their athletes.
  34. shine

shine Well-Known Member

She is still young , but I really hope Kaetlyn could soon prove to be a good competitor. I'm not convinced that she is one, yet.
  35. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope Kaetlyn and Gabby can do better at Worlds. 13 + 16 = 29, back down to one spot for 2015. Luckily a few Olympic competitors will probably skip it.
  36. figuristka

figuristka New Member

Well skated until she got tired at the end. Love the program. Would have had her 1 or 2 places higher in free but on the Worlds where we hope skater's get their fair chance with marks.
  37. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I've tried to like this year's LP, but I still much prefer Carmen to Cleopetra. Carmen was such a beautiful program when skated to its potential and the performance just came so naturally for her.
  38. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think she had a longer time to practice in 2012 with an injury free season and she was so trained by the fall.
    This year with the injury she lost a lot of time.

I was hoping for top ten but not to be!
  39. Fruit Loops

Fruit Loops New Member

I thought Kaetlyn did well today considering her lack of training. I hope she gets a good rest for Worlds!

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who thinks Shae Lynn would be a great choreographer for her! I think her programs need a little bit more work on that front and I think Shae would be a good fit for Kaetlyn.

Also good to come to her cheer thread as on some forums there is such vitriol towards her and it's so baffling to me that a second-level skater is on the receiving end of such hate and mockery.
  40. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

:confused: Why, because she can actually perform? I also thought that she did well despite the lack of training. It is too bad that she had to go so early to Russia, it would have been to stay home and train, some goes with Gabby.