Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

I've seen more talk about the hype than actual hype... And it's not like Kaetlyn would the first skater being hyped. What about Gracie Gold's hype before she even skated a single senior competition? And the russian girls when they were only juniors? And Max Aaron who was almost crowned Word medalist after winning US nationals? It's only criticized when Canadians do it... Must be our inferiority complex. Honestly I think most of her fans have realistic expectations. Top 10 at Worlds with a good skate.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

That's GS, not here. The only overhyping came from a Korean article...

We Canucks are a hardy bunch...I'm sure we'll survive whatever happens in March...

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. shine

shine Well-Known Member

:rofl: :respec:
    Actually, as a big fan of Osmond's, I AM hoping for more. But there's a difference between hoping for something and outright predicting it to happen. And I don't need anyone to tell me what I should and should not be hoping for.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I look for your threads and what you have to say about how the ladies are judged. It is my favorite discipline but my knowledge is only that of the casual fan. I don't know the thread title but your points about US judging were thought provoking.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Some thoughts from Kaetlyn regarding 4CC here here:

Just to put these results into a bit of perspective, Joannie Rochette’s first trip to 4CC was in 2002 when she was the national bronze medallist. She finished 9th. She then had the luxury of going to 4CC on 2 more occasions and twice to senior Worlds as the #2 skater (thank you Top 10 Jen!). She finished 17th at her first Worlds, but it was NBD because she wasn’t our #1 woman. Kaetlyn isn’t so lucky. Not only are we sending her to Worlds as our lone entrant with the hope that she’ll finish in the top 10, we’re doing so in a pre-Olympic year when the results determine how many spots we’ll qualify for Sochi. That’s an awful lot to ask of a just barely 17-year-old girl in her first season as senior.

Personally, I still think she has a very good chance at a top 10 finish in London. But even if she doesn’t, my optimism about her future will be in no way diminished. :) I've been around Canadian skating for many years, and Kaetlyn may be the most natually talented female skater I've ever seen here.

WildRose and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I wouldn't be nervous if I were her. If she only qualifies 1 spot for Canadian ladies for Sochi, that spot most likely will be hers anyway. It should be Lacoste that should be nervous for Osmond at Worlds.

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I love you, Peter! :encore:

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

So nice to know our 'friends' are so thoughtful and worry about us!
    Another friend from up north!

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well the cracks are beginning to show. It was to be expected, she's only human and the pressure on her is intense.

Her performances at 4CC weren't good but still I think she got totally hosed on the PCS.

She has arguably the best programs this season and they were not adequately rewarded by the judges. :mad:

Yes, because of the most ridiculous decision in the history of Olympic movement, caused by huge media pressure and a bullying of a judge who eventually cracked under pressure and withdrew her scores (which she now regrets).

10. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Professordeb :swoon: (( PETERG )) :swoon: Habs:cheer2:

:D

11. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Ya think?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I can't resist, much as I should, from pointing out that hoping for KO to place in the top five or six, is only as forlorn as hoping that Kevin Reynolds would win the FCC .

13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:lol: Ya never know.......much stranger things have happened :)

14. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

We should probably be a little gracious re: Maggie's apology.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

No, Daleman and Chartrand should be nervous. The ship has sailed for Amelie. She should be thankful that she skated in an era where 3 clean triples gets you a national medal. Inevitable that the world would pass you by. Happy she'll be leaving skating with a national title and a few trips to worlds.

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Osmond is terrific. Great jumps, difficulty of in- betweens, presentation, joy of skating- everything one wants to see in an up- and - comer. The four "hopefuls" - Osmond, Gold, Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova- are expected to have a steep learning curve; too much so, in my opinion. They are great talents, and more consistent than not. Looking forward to seeing Osmond at Worlds, and wishing her years of success.

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  17. rhymer

rhymer New Member

As a Canadian I just want to add my two cents. Osmond is a great skater and the first skater (with the exception of Rochette) that gives me hope for Canadian ladies since I started following skating 20 years ago, BUT as soon as she won Nationals all the hype that was built up, and going on and on about her makes me nervous. Everytime there is a skater with talent they seem to get suffocated by commentators, media and fans. I wish people would back off a bit and give rising talent the opportunity to rise instead of assuming they are going to rocket to the top. That way when they don't rocket to the top they aren't turned into failures or let downs. It just brings back memories of Jennifer Robinson at Worlds ('96 I think) being interviewed by Rod Black then while she is standing right beside him he turns to the camera and says "We will be right back with so-n-so discussing the state of Canadian ladies figure skating. I felt so bad for her, but she handled it gracefully. I would have said things that would have gotten me in trouble then walked off. It was like she went from Junior to being expected to be a top tier senior. I always felt that the way she was pressured in the earlier part of her career held her back because she got more criticism than constructive support. I just hope that doesn't happen to the new Canadian ladies.
    My advice is to sit back cheer for all of them, celebrate achievements and victories and back off and let them figure out and learn from difficulties.

I hope no one takes offence by what I said/feel I just worry for some of these young skaters that it almost seems forgotten that they are human, have emotions and feel pressure.

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Who in the world expected Jennifer Robinson to be a top tiered skater in 1996? If FSU existed, there would've been a long ass thread named "NO WAY WOULD JENNIFER FRIGGIN ROBINSON GET PCS SCORES LIKE JEREMY ABBOTT--JOSEE SHOULD GO TO EDMONTON!!!!"

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

You youngsters don't know your history.

20. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Oh Peter, you've done it again :respec:

21. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

:respec:

22. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Are we confusing attention with hype? I feel like I'm trying to craft a definition in my head.
    If a skater starts her senior career by winning her first two senior internationals and does so in a fashion that appears deserved and is crowd pleasing you simply cannot avoid attention because of it. No way to avoid lots of conversation...it's exciting. I don't see a lot of expectation by way of, say, a medal in London or Olympic gold, but rather, as others have pointed out, conversation about potential and maybe hope. No worries there.

Ravi and Slipper are doing their part to manage all of this. She's not doing tons of press nor is she making a lot of appearances. They have her focussed and they are keeping expectations of her very realistic by not pressuring her to get a top 10, by not changing/upgrading her programs and goals for the year. Steady as she goes. Still, she's an athlete and competitor so it's healthy to have goals. So the team talks about getting 170+ in each comp, qualifying for London and reaching top 10. Those are realistic stretch goals which she should always have.

So I think she's in a good place. Happy to hear your thoughts on what behaviors/conversations you'd like to see or not see. Like specifics. All I can tell you is that not talking about her is probably not a realistic expectation.

alilou, Really, clarie and 3 others like this.
  23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

It appears she has a great team behind her with Ravi et al. and wonderful family support. They've done a terrific job so far (as has she) and there's no reason why it shouldn't continue with incremental goals set for her. She's won my support over with her big jumps and showmanship, and her delight in what she does so evident in her performances. I wish her the best of experiences at Worlds this year.

24. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

This is a fantastic post. And I agree!

25. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Technically, hype is a deliberate strategy to promote something. I don't believe anyone set out with a plan to generate hype. Although there were the odd fan at GS who would become too enthusiastic, making unrealistic predictions. In many threads at that site, much of discussions/arguments were actually negative. Many people could not accept that Kaetlyn had defeated more experienced skaters at SCI. There was talk of home ice advantage, and accusations of Skate Canada conspiracies. Posters would tear apart Kaetlyn's skating in an attempt to make her appear inferior to the other skaters. Especially their favorites. Yet like a movie star with a scandal leaked to the media, in the end the overall attention (negative or not) boosted Kaetlyn's fame, rather than sink it. Ironically, you could say the negative posters helped draw more attention to Kaetlyn (although these posters would accuse Kaetlyn's fans of creating the hype). In the end, no one will remember who said what, but certainly everyone will remember Katelyn's name.

A word of warning...if at Worlds, Kaetlyn again outscores some of the favorites, I expect yet more arguments/attention to follow. There is no way you can stop it.

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

People who said Skate Canada was bad judging are just as unrealistic as folks who said Kaetlyn is a top contender for Sochi. The truth is closer to something in between. My take is that Kaetlyn is a good competitor with promise to capitalize on more talented ladies' mistakes in the next several years. If she can become consistent with her jumps, she can probably compete with the best of them. I think there are big tests and challenges ahead.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  27. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well said and I think it reflects how most of us Kaetlyn fans feel about her. She's got the ingredients, now she just needs time to simmer.

28. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

ITA. My hope is that she comes 8-10th in London. If she's 6th or higher there will be discussion of Olympic medals...which would be rough. Might happen anyway if she medals in both GPs in the fall.

29. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I'm sure she won't continue letting the less talented ladies capitalize on her mistakes like she did at 4CC :D

30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member