Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Marina Zoueva commented that Tessa Virtue's dresses could cost around two thousand dollars (this was during the Olympic season). I presume that was on the very high end, though.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

3. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It really varies a lot and there certainly is in upper limit. Depending on the theme of the program a dress could cost as little as $350. IMHO, generally clean lines are more effective. You can go all out with rhinestones provided you have a clear idea when you start and stick with a few sizes and or colours. Custom dresses dripping in beadwork and stones can run upwards of $1000. I don't think Kaetlyn's LP dress could have been that expensive. I agree with those who say the cut wasn't terribly flattering.
  4. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Probably something along the lines of “don’t suck, don’t suck, don’t suck”? :lol: Seriously though, it was a tough situation to find herself in, not just because she was skating with “royalty”, but also because she knew that even skated perfectly her program likely didn’t have enough content to maintain her position, much less make a run for the podium. It was designed to keep her in the top 10, not get her a medal. The two falls cost her somewhere around 10 points, which still would have only have put her in 6th or 7th. When the program was being developed at the beginning of the season, her 3lutz had only been consistent for a few months. Who knew at that time she’d end up in the final group at Worlds? I was pleased to see that she had the presence of mind to add the two 2toes to the 2A after the fall on the 3toe – shows she can think on her feet.

Very happy to see Gabby added as the 2nd woman at WTT. :) Quite a little dynamo that one. The experience will no doubt be invaluable for her. She struggled with the 3flip and 3lutz a little at Canadians, but nailed both at Jr. Worlds, so she’s coming along nicely. Even though she’s only 15, she looks fully developed. I can’t see her growing much more. Alaine turned 17 this week, so isn’t likely to grow much more either. Interestingly, both Gabby & Alaine did clean 3lutz’s in their FP’s at Canadians last year (Alaine did 2 in fact), whereas Kaetlyn didn’t even attempt one. Crazy how different the rate of development can be during the teen years!

Kaetlyn’s SP dress was fine (once they got rid of the silver bra :yikes:), but IA that her FP dress was not particularly flattering. It wasn’t so much the cut, but the placement of the nude fabric cut out in the waist made her look thick through the middle.
  5. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does she remind anyone of Sasha Cohen in this program? :) In looks/facial expression but particularly in the way she carries her neck and back - super straight!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxTzdCUWFRY
  6. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I saw Osmond for the first time at Canadians. She doesn't have broad shoulders or broad anything for that matter. It's all to do with the camera angles that for the most part are all focused at the girl's hip level. I'm not a fan of the fussiness of most female costumes, but I did think her short program costume suited her on-ice personality.
  7. marii

marii New Member

Professordeb,
    Im not speaking of puberty. Some women have tendency gaining weight more, than others it's natural for woman's body to gain weight. I'm saying anything can happen, look at Rachel Flatt and what happened to her. I like Osmond and hope he does well, but what I don't like is to put all hopes in one basket, excluding other skater. Give her a bit more time to proof herself and not put so much pressure on her shoulders.
  8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Osmond reminds me a bit of Stephanie Rosenthal in terms of her performance qualities.
  9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I really think she should ditch her open backed dresses. It makes her torso look really wide. I see some Cohenesque qualities in the way she used her hands and arms in this program. I really like her because she is a performer and a dancer besides being an excellent skater.
  10. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ahhh, that's what you meant, thanks for clearing it up. Usually when posters here speak about women and their bodies, it seems to be in the context of her not yet in her "adult" body -- hence my reference to the puberty monster.

Regarding Rachel Flatt, I'm not aware of issues that she has had regarding her body. Perhaps because I don't follow women's skating as closely as I have other disciplines.

I totally agree the Kaetlyn needs time and space to prove herself. I, like many others, are so pleased to see her have such a breakout season. There's also a couple of other young Canadian women who are in their teens who I think may give Kaetlyn a run for the Canadian championships next season. I hope for her to do well -- for her sake, not for mine. I've enjoyed watching her this season. It feels like there is hope for Canadian ladies skating, not just because of Kaetlyn, but because she is leading the charge. As a skating fan, it has been difficult to watch our Canadian ladies do decently at home, but when they go out onto the international stage, it seems to head south. I am believing and hoping that Kaetlyn is just the first of many that we'll see over the next few years. What is going to be interesting -- is watching all these "youngsters" from various countries as they try to step up to the plate and onto the podium. I'm looking forward to it.
  11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I totally saw it too! In fact, that's the first skater she reminded me of when I saw her skate for the first time this season! Same verve, musicality and joy!
  13. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Would love to see Kaetlyn tackle something more off the beaten track musically. It seems like most people tend to agree she has great musicality and performance skills and a natural presence on the ice. She could do some really interesting programs, and I hope her coach and choreographer try something unique with her.
  14. angelflies

angelflies Member

She is good but I think she needs to improve on technical and artistic to reach the top. Not just one. She doesnt have enough of either yet.
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Right now Kaetlyn is not even on par with the other 3 young ladies - Liza, Adelina and Gracie. Unless she learns to land difficult jumps she is not going to make it to the top. She clearly has the time to learn, however. IMO she is being crowned way too early. Nobody knows how much she will develop.
  16. bonmil

bonmil Member

I think she is just as good as all of them. I don't understand what the hype is about Gracie. What has she done to "be on par with the others you mention?"
  17. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

What? Osmond has beaten all three of them in international competition, and the first two she has beaten twice this year. I don't think this statement is fair at all.
  18. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Nobody knows how any of these girls are going to develop. They are all young but inconsistent talent with a lot of potential. Your are also about two months too late with this. Nobody is crowning Kaetlyn as anything. :confused:

As for Kaetlyn not being on par with the other three you mentioned, the results at Worlds prove otherwise.
  19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

She's competed against Elizaveta twice. Won both competitions.

She's competed against Adelina three times. Won two competitions.

She's competed against Gracie twice. Won once.

Just sayin'
  20. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Kaetlyn needs to include her 3Z in competition and work on a more difficult 3/3 combo so that she's more even technically with the other skaters mentioned. But this year Kaetlyn was more consistent than the other 3 IMO and hence the success. All in all, great senior debut!
  21. hohoho

hohoho Member

Kaetlyn has been practicing the 3f/3t and 3lz/3t. She hasn't shown a 3l yet. Be interesting to see what she does in the upcoming season
  22. shutterbug

New article: Osmond excited to participate in team figure skating competition

Have to agree with Ravi – for a young lady who finished just 10th at Jr Worlds last year, placing 4th in the SP and skating in the final group for the FP in her first Sr. Worlds is a pretty darn big accomplishment. :)

She did have a 3lutz in her FP this year. :confused: Do you mean in the SP? Re: harder 3-3’s, since she's doing both 3lutz-3toe's and 3flip-3toe's in practice, I'm quite sure we’ll see one, or both, in her programs next season. Her goal this year was to get into the top 10 and her programs were designed with this in mind (not sure how many times this needs to be pointed out). Her goal for the upcoming season will undoubtedly be higher, so her new programs will be created accordingly. I’m very interested in finding out what music Lance Vipond has in mind for her. Like quartz, I’m hoping that she’ll try skating to something unconventional at some point, but next season might be too soon to expect that. No idea about the 3loop, she wasn't even trying it in practice IIRC.
  23. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Funny, I thought it was the lutz she was missing in comps. No matter, she has things to improve on but that doesn't take away from a very good year! Looking forward to next year.
  24. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

The plan for KO was to set her programs and then lock them early to pound the repetitions throughout the season. In so doing she could trust her training when going into bigger comps. The goal was 170 total points / top 10 at worlds which is again why the programs weren't changed around with new elements added. She has had 3/3s ready and the 3L since the fall but was told she couldn't add them in.

You're going to see a whole new plan for the coming year's programs. Because she gets edge calls on the Z, I'd consider leaving the same elements in the short and then seriously upgrade the long. However she'll prob do 3F/3T, 2A, 3Z in fall comps and see how that goes in the short. I'm fully expecting her programs to be designed to win her an Olympic medal although chances of that happening are remote at this point.
  25. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Good luck Katetlyn and have lots of fun at the same time!
  26. Fudove

Fudove New Member

I saw relay of WTT and even when she makes mistakes she is still so enjoyable to watch! Canada has a treasure!
  27. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Kaetlyn Osmond tweeted today:
    "Well I'm back on the planes again! Can't wait to get to Newfoundland! So excited"

This is where she'll perform:
    April 19-20 Silver Blades & Sparkling Blades Carnival – Grand Falls & Corner Brook, NL
  28. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

What stamina! I have to give this young lady a lot of credit keeping her energy up in what has been a very long season. To think she started early fall, winning at Nebelhorn..entering Skate Canada with new fan expectations, what must have been tremendous pressure to win Canadians...and then Worlds in her home country - where many would have loved to see a medal. Not to mention 4CC and WTT. Congratulations to team Kaetlyn on what has truly been a 'breakout' year. Hope she gets to take a vacation!
  29. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well said La La Candy. She's certainly a treasure and a pleasure to watch. Her joy when she is on the ice is a fun thing to see.
  30. shutterbug

Maybe the easiest thing to do is just fix the lutz? Do it now while she's still young. Opens up a lot more possibilties for the future. I'd like to see her shoot for making the GPF and top 6 at Worlds in the upcoming season. To do so, she'll probably need to upgrade the elements in the short as well as the long. Can't always count on others making errors.

En route to the show in NL she also tweeted:

:lol: Busy young lady, but tons of great experience. :) I was surprised she held up as well as she did at WTT, especially since she only had about a half day at home between the QC show and leaving for Japan.
  31. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I don't think I'd mess with the difficulty in her SP - she's been consistent with it and has a triple-triple which is nothing to sneeze at in the senior women's competion. Kurt said that's why she's shooting for the highest group, and after her skate, Tracy Wilson said her SP Worlds mark had been beaten by only five or six others this season. I agree she will need to increase the difficulty of her LP, but they'll need to do it carefully because she hasn't been as consistent with it as the SP. I'm not expecting her to come out and get on the podium in Sochi, but what I like about Kaitlyn is her ability to skate just above what she should be doing - like that 4th place SP.
  32. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

I agree with this. There is a very likely scenario where she maintains the technical content in her SP. If she had a more reliable lutz that she could do out of footwork then I'd consider 3F/3T, 3Z, 2A. Something tells me we won't see that until the following year. What Walia can do is move the elements around to maybe push one more jumping element into the bonus. I expect that she will progress in PCS next year as well so she could realistically be targeting 67-68 for a SP score with a clean skate. Again I agree, leave it alone. She will put together an LP that could score 130 internationally if skated well so that will be a nice progression for next year.
  33. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Amazing! Ahhh to be young again...lol
  34. shutterbug

She’s had the same content in her SP for 2 seasons now. We know the 3toe-3toe is solid; time to try something harder, IMHO. She’s capable. They started off last season with her doing a 3lutz-2toe, 3flip and 2A in her SP (see Wild Rose SP and Skate Detroit SP), probably with the plan to upgrade to 3lutz-3toe if it all went well. No harm in doing the same this year with the 3flip-3toe, 3lutz, and 2A. They just need to spend some time picking away at the takeoff on the lutz. Easy enough to switch back if it’s not working to Ravi’s satisfaction by the end of August.
  35. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

36. shutterbug

Coach Ravi Walia impressed by Osmond’s successes

Terrific coach. :)
    geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  37. shutterbug

World Figure Skating companion article: Kaetlyn Osmond: “I try to engage the crowd”

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  38. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I would say her current goals are achievable. She and her coach have a terrific attitude IMO. I'm certainly looking forward to what she has in store for us next year program-wise. :)
  39. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Interesting that they're shooting for top six at Sochi - that sure won't be easy. In addition to the K-K-A triumvirate, I expect the US, Russian and Japanese women all to bring it up a notch come Olympics. It's exciting for Canadians to have someone like Kaetlyn competing.
  40. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Of course it won't be easy, but why are you here if you are not challenging yourself and aiming higher - especially for someone like Kaetlyn who's at the development stage and is as talented as she is? Besides, I don't think her goals are at all unrealistic. Afterall, she already placed 8th this year even with two falls in the freeskate and came in top 4 in the SP in one of the toughest fields ever (where many thought she should've been top 3 even). I think a key for her would be to up her game in the LP by having less mistakes than she did this season.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013