Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Glad people are able to accommodate you...

2. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Uh, since you are quoting me you should know I´ve always thought a top ten result at worlds would be a great result for her and the most I would hope for so there is no revision downward here so I'm not sure what you are :lol: at.

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that most of us are hoping for a top ten finish, and that is Kaetlyn's goal as well......to be able to send two women to Sochi, and there are some other good young skaters coming up. I don't think it's unreasonable at all. However, if she does better than 10th, that would be a nice bonus for her.

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Whose opinions inspired that lovely article about her one day beating Yu Na?

I agree that a top ten finish would be awesome for Osmond. She has talent, and I think she is a competitor. I understand why Canadians get excited, but you should know it makes the outside world kind of worry that you will be let down.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  5. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It wasn't my opinion so again why quote me? And wasn't that some pointless Korean article based on her Nationals scores? I don't pay much attention to coronations.

And I really doubt the "outside world" is worried anyone will be let down. My experience is the "outside world" loves to see those who get too excited knocked down a peg or two.

Mayra and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Could it be it was inspired by the writer's own imagination? Fans don't necessarily participate in group think. Some have high expectations, some low and some are more realistic.

Nice of the world to worry, but I'm sure Canada will survive. :p

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I don't know. Canadian skating expectations are so uproarious and rosy that they betray an underlying insecurity created by decades of Olympic failures. Orser, Browning, Elvis, Brasseur and Eisler, Bourne and Kratz, and even Sale and Pelletier. World Champions all, but Olympic champions none.*

Joannie Rochette, on her second Olympic try, managed to meet expectations. And Virtue and Moir made a first for Canada in decades by being reigning world champs in an Olympic year and acheiving an undisputed gold medal. So Canada is hopefully gaining more confidence, but I think insecurities can be fed by over-hyping skaters.

8. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Dear Maggie, Please see the last few posts under the Kevin Reynolds thread - or just what's new.

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Ok fine, we should stick with today and now, and things have changed in Canada for the better. Do not forget, though, that skating has a long and illustrious history, and Skate Canada and Canadian fans are programmed by it in ways they don't even realize.

10. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Probably fortunately, I have no idea what you could possibly mean. But then It's a funny old world.
    Your friend in the north.

11. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Meh good that she had a less than good skate. It will only make her stronger in the long run. She is after all rather inexperienced. More experiences will make for a better Olympic season.

12. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It does take character to come back from a poorly judged short program, so it's a good thing to have tested. Just ask Sarah Hughes.

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

ITA! She didn't let the mistake throw her off; she has a lot of poise.

14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

This was a good experience builder, I think. Now that she knows what's to skate in front of one of the biggest audiences in the world with some real pressure on her shoulders. Here's to a better Worlds!

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think her composure in the kiss and cry showed it wasn't a bad outing for her. Her body language was positive and calm, and this is a good sign about her mental strength.

16. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm not a Canadian so I'm not putting the crushing weight of expectations on Osmond. I just think there is something special about this girl. I do have high hopes for her.

17. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I just hope Kaetlyn as well as Gracie ignore what hype is surrounding them and both skate lights out at Worlds! :)

18. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Worlds could be just as intimidating with the addition of Yu-Na, Kostner, Korpi and the Russian girls. What Kaetlyn found at 4CC was that easily beating skaters in the early fall doesn't mean you will always be able to beat them. Experienced skaters tend to peak later in the season.

The good thing now is that Kaetlyn's fans are taking a more realistic view of her chances at Worlds, one that is more in sync with Kaetlyn's goal---to finish in the top ten. And Kaetlyn should be a little more able to cope with 'opening night nerves' in March.

19. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Just curious - why are you so concerned about the well-being of Kaetlyn's fans, anyway? I don't recall any of her fans or commentators directly predicting that she will medal or make top 5 at Worlds, for this year. I have no idea where you are coming from.

20. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Actually there were some over zealous fans at GS who were doing just that...triggering more Osmond bashing by others at that site. :(

21. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I am not Canadian but I can understand their excitement when Katelyn shows promise, and I am certain they are still excited about her prospects. I will too if I am Canadian. This type of 'excitement' or over-hyping as you call it, is normal. Canadians are not the only ones who get excited over promising figure skaters. Why should Canada not being able to produce a gold Olympic medallist create insecurity? In fact, I think it should create hope but we all (including Canadians) know hope is hope, and it may or may not materialise. I would rather live in hope than bitterness. Hope is like a ray of light whereas bitterness is darkness.

alilou, Really, Mayra and 3 others like this.
  22. bonmil

bonmil Member

Sale and Pelletier were Olympic Champions...

23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Well said....my sentiments exactly. :)

24. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Amazing isn't it? Euterpe is worried about Kaetlyn fans and TheIronLady is concerned over Canada's sensibilities. :rolleyes:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

One thing Kaetlyn has going for her in London is the cheering Canadian crowd. I am not saying the crowd will necessarily directly influence the judges (although it may be possible). However, the fans will almost certainly energize Kaetlyn with their support. It didn't appear to me she had as much attack in her SP at 4CC as she had at SCI and Nationals. She may have been nervous and more cautious, or it could be because she was not energized by a loud cheering audience. Perhaps both.

ETA:

Actually to be accurate, the number of fans with over zealous expectations were just a small group. I think most Osmond fans are only "hoping" she can earn 2 spots for next season. For some reason, many people seem to collectively blame all Kaetlyn fans for the actions of a few.

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I believe there was a second country that also over-hyped one of their skaters. I cannot remember which country is was, however. I think it happend in the 70's.

Interesting definition of "failure" that you have. Your resume must be amazing!!

alilou, Braulio, Really and 5 others like this.
  27. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Awwwww Peter, you just continue to keep me in love with you! ;)

28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I don't remember one instance of other countries placing high expectations on their skaters. Never ever. If Kaetlyn only ends up second in Sochi, I'm sure one of our other Canadian babies will pick up the slack.

29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

LOL!

My post was a little obnoxious and didn't offer much new. I just am myself convinced that hype about Kaetlyn got quickly overboard to the point of drowning. I suppose people will get excited about things that I might disagree with, and it is not my place to critique their fandom or enthusiasm. So your point is taken. I apologize for being obnoxious.

30. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

ditto this.

Now where is that handy dandy little ignore button?