Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

TSN has also named her one of 10 Canadians to watch in Sochi. Wow, I expected this if she had a good result in London, not before! I guess she's not sneaking up on anyone anymore.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=415288

2. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I think she'd have to have a meltdown not to make top 10. Her international scores all year have her well within range and looking at the field in London, she's should easily beat half the field and then would only need to pass one of the A list which includes 3 Japanese, 1 Korean, 1 Italian, 2 Americans, 1 Finn and 2 Russians. Just has to get past one of those and she's good. I like her chances.

Still if she does have a rough skate I will quote this comment and encourage everyone to take it in stride. She's not going to be perfect. Everyone has a rough one. She has skated too well under pressure all year to think she'll come off the rails. Among her 4 skates between 4CC and Worlds, I'm expecting one to be a disappointment. No big.

3. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Does Osmond attend a brick and mortar high school, or does she take online classes/homeschool?

4. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

IIRC, she attends a high school in Edmonton that runs a special sports academy program - meaning, she attends classes in the mornings and skates in the afternoons.

5. Flora

Flora New Member

This is correct. She attends a public high school that caters to elite/dedicated athletes (Vimy Ridge Academy). Reading the article from Golden Skate, it sounds like she lives a fairly normal life for someone who is at a high level in their sport. Still goes to school, does her homework, and finds time for friends and whatnot. Maybe having a somewhat normal school schedule helps her balance it all out so that she's not only focused on skating.

6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I am somewhat disappointed that there have been no practise reports for her at 4CC. Is she really that much of a non-entity there? Or perhaps it's intentional.

7. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Someone created a practice report thread at GS, but it appears the only skater being discussed is Asada.

8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, and she is not the only hard working skater there, nor the only one worth mentioning. Oh well, I suppose Kaetlyn can come out and surprise everyone, I hope. I'm sure the Japanese audience will love her, and it's probably ok that she's very much under the radar there. I hope she skate with her ususal abandon and joy and does well.

9. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

Although not as much Asada, she is being talked about. (It's just in Japanese...) Most recent fan reports (from this morning's official practice) on twitter says she's looking lively and her jumps are huge.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

From Kaetlyn’s official Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/KaetlynOsmondCFS?ref=ts&fref=ts

“very excited and hyper” - I’ll bet! :lol: She is such a natural competitor. During the SP warm-up at Canadians, Alaine Chartand landed her 3lutz-3toe at one end of the rink. Kaetlyn, who was at the other end of the rink, looked up when she heard the applause, then promptly marched down the ice and did HER 3toe-3toe in the same spot. :D I have a feeling she’s not going to be easily intimidated once she gets some experience under her belt.

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thank you both......that's more info than I'd hoped for.......checked out the facebook page too :)

12. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

As much as I would like practice reports, I think it's great Kaetlyn is able to go into this competition without the added pressure of having people analyze her every practice move. This is only her 3rd(?) senior international and while the spotlight is nice, so is skating under the radar. Something tells me this won't always be the case. ;)

13. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Kaetlyn had a rough SP at 4CC, falling on the flip. She says she doesn't feel the pressure, but this was her first REALLY big competition and it seems it did get to her. It has to be hard for her to handle the hype and the expectations that come with it.

14. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

This is just the warm up to Worlds. And 4CCs isn't over yet-Kaetlyn could still come out fighting in the FS-although probably the best she can hope for is top 4 considering the Japanese firepower in the top 3. Hopefully once she has her first big Senior event under her belt she'll settle down some. :)

15. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Agreed. :)

Better here than at worlds I say!

16. shine

shine Well-Known Member

This is the first time this season she hasn't skated a clean SP. It'll be interesting to see how she deals with the setback in the SP. I hope she's able to come back and fight hard in the LP! Go Kaetlyn!

17. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Interesting she missed the flip which seems like her best jump to me. I also noticed she lost some points on spins that were graded level 2 or 3s.

18. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Is it terrible of me to say I’m relieved? :lol: I’m sure she’s disappointed, but this season is all about experience for her. There will be some bumps along the way while her team is identifying what needs to be worked on. Her falls seem to come on her easier elements (2A at nats, 3flip here), which suggests that her challenge will be staying focused for each element and not getting ahead of herself. From the tone of her tweets it sounded like she was bouncing off the walls a bit, so hopefully she’ll be more settled now for the LP. Good to see that her PCS were still quite high even with a fall and one so-so spin.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I think it could be a matter of controlling her adrenelin and excitement. She's such an enthusiastic person. Perhaps she'll have an easier time containing herself in the long...........You go girl!!!!! :)

20. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Kaetlyn, this year is all about experience and learning to compete the senior level. To quote my favourite cartoon character: "just keep swimming". :lol:

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call her SP rough. She really just botched one element although she lost levels in others. I posted earlier that I expected at least 1 of her 4 big skates left to be decidedly below standard...I mean she's human. It's funny she can skate very well at Nebelhorn, SC and Nationals and then fall on one element and someone suggests she can't handle the pressure. That's kinda funny. If you feel that way then pshhh, Gracie better hang up her skates now.

KO's tweet following her skate was full of smiley faces and she actually said she was happy with the skate. I love this. That means she's wired to look at positives (many good elements and I'm guessing she was proud of her attack and approach to the skate) and not focussed on what she missed. That's awesome wiring in my mind since sooooo many competitors always expect perfection and dwell on the bad things that only represent 10% or less of what they were doing out there. Look at Amelie; she's probably not excited about how well her flip is going and is probably more wondering where her loop disappeared to. And then here...see what happens. I don't expect KO to be perfect in the long but I'll be shocked if she misses either flip.

I too am secretly happy this happened. Her goal at worlds is 170-175 in pts / top 10 and she does not need to skate perfectly to get there. 115 in the long is well within her reach even with the short she just had. She's on track.

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

This. There is nothing like experience and I'm glad she is getting plenty of it now. I like these tune-up competitions--especially when travel is involved. I think it helps the skaters in the long run.

23. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Looks like she held back a bit here although she made a good impression on the audience and judges. Lots of room to add points. She stepped her foot back down after the combo when she usually rides on her landing edge to do her kick and other business. That's why her GOE didn't get above 1. When she does it right and with attack and flow a +3 is possible.
    Not much wrong with the flip, just not fully over her skate blade on the landing. 2A was a bit scratchy and yeah her LB was lacking. Her edges in the footwork were not nearly as deep as usual so that's my biggest sign she wasn't as confident or was otherwise holding back. So the good news is that if she skates the way she can she could pick up another 3-4 on the flip and another 3-4 or so points in GOE, making a clean skate prob worth 64-65 at worlds if she does it. Works for me.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

What i like in Osmond - she is dancer :) And she had s many transitions and dance moves in SP.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  26. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Does she have any chance at making it into the top 12 of the world standings?

27. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I think she definitely has a chance for top 12. I think top 10 would be a great result for her.

28. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Coco is asking about the official ISU world standings not the results at the World Championships. And while the answer to the latter is yes, the answer to the former is someday but not in the near future (or in time for Worlds). She is currently in 50th place and even a win at 4CC (which is all but impossible now without several withdrawals) would only move her up to 22nd and that's assuming 0 points for every other skater between 22nd and 50th (unlikely since it includes Gold, Zhang, and Lacoste). Granted, many of the skaters ahead of her will not be going to worlds, but I'd put the chances of Kaetlyn getting in the top 12 or even top 15 for skate order purposes as slim to none.

I'm not super concerned about her SP at 4CC...I felt like she was due for a bad short because she has been amazingly consistent in the short all year, and better now than at Worlds. If she puts it behind her and has a strong long, then it's probably not a big deal. I thought the score was very good considering the mistakes.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I really enjoyed Kaetlyn's SP at 4CC--sassy, as the Euro sport commentator put it. :)

30. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I like how the predictions keep getting revised downward. :lol: