Justin Bieber's Visit to Anne Frank Museum

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Apr 14, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm sure he didn't mean any disrespect, but it was still a thoughtless thing to do. He needs to learn that there are some things more important in this world than him and his own self-promotion.

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Given that before she went into hiding, all sources suggest Anne Frank was a happy, giggly, pretty typical young tween/teen, had she been born now, yeah, she probably would be his demographic. Which, in the right context, would be a good thing to remember--she wasn't a saint, above such petty things, or even an especially GREAT writer unless it loses a lot in translation, she was an ordinary girl who was forced into hiding and eventually murdered for no other reason than her family happened to be Jewish. By virtue of her recording her experience and it surviving, she's a symbol for millions of other Jewish children and adolescents whose names were lost--ordinary kids like any other targeted for death because of the religion and culture. But overedge is right, it was a thoughtless way to put it that made it sound about HIM. I don't have the violent loathing for Bieber a lot of people do, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant no harm. Hopefully some of his rabid fans who don't know who Anne Frank was or why she matters will at least Google her now.

To the side story about the school assignment to write from the perspective of the Nazis, that would be a interesting assignment for, say, a university-level history or philosophy course, but I think it is most likely over the heads of most high schoolers and just asking for trouble.

3. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I just think this is another example of which there have been many lately of his youth and arrogance and having way too much money and fame and power too soon. I am a bit surprised as his mother seemed like a pretty grounded person but than again she seems a little sucked in by chasing fame for herself lately. Clearly it was a ridiculous thing to say but I doubt he was aware it was. He is surrounded by people, as most famous people are, who indulge his arrogant selfish behavior because they are probably too afraid to lose their jobs or upset him. Should he know better, sure. But I have seen it time and time again that young people who get famous very young often have little to no understanding of consequences of their behavior and being young are so self-involved by nature and are then indulged in that behavior. No one holds them accountable including their stans. Obviously there are examples of young people who have managed to navigate it successfully, but not many.

4. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Their whats? (I figure it's a typo but I can't figure it out from context like I usually can so maybe it's some slang I'm not familiar.)

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

stans are rabid fans like the song "stan" by eminem

6. MacMadame

Oh.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You have to remember that was Anne before the hideout was discovered by the Nazis and she and her family were shipped off to concentration camps to their deaths (excepting her father). Her final life experiences might have altered that outlook, don't you think?

8. MacMadame

I think she would have been like the father in Life is Beautiful. I don't think people change their basic personality all that much even through life-altering events. But also isn't that what her surviving relatives have said? I figure they are most likely to know.

9. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Well, I was one of those people on the fence about him before and after the monkey incident, his disastrous tour of the UK and now this I think he sounds like an egotistical twat.

PR fail I'd say. But then I'm not Canadian. ;)

10. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

You know, at first I thought some of the inappropriateness of his remarks stemmed from the the plain ridiculousness of the word belieber. But if you change the word to fan - which is what it means- it shows more clearly, imo, how incredibly self centered he is.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think there is a large area between glum and solemn and arrogant and egotistical. I have no problem with a light mood, but I still don't think the sign in book is a place for a joke (which I don't think this is)- because that book is read by millions, and not everyone feels that way. The house is a memorial not to just to her life, but also to her death, and the way she died. I agree, she likely wouldn't have wanted for people to be extremely solemn, but for most, it is a place of reflection, and not a place for a joke. Again, I still don't think it was a joke, and I think Beiber thinks of nothing but himself. A "maybe we could have had something in common" would have been a lot better than "maybe she would have been an extreme fan".

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

But in his mind, belieber does not equal fan. From many things he has said over the years, it seems to me that he looks at his fans as having a personality and common set of characteristics, and even values. To the rest of us, that might be screaming devotion and obsession, but to him, they are a bunch of nice people who support him and believe him, and inspire him. He often talks about how blessed he feels for all he has, and is especially grateful to those who support him.

At this point I really do think he was saying he thought she was a good person, just like all the beliebers are good people, and he hoped that he would be worthy of her notice. He apparently spent an hour in the museum - that's a long time for a celebrity run through - and had wanted to visit it for some time. He's not stupid, so it seems impossible that he did not fully understand who she was and her importance.

I like the kid, that's obvious, but I like animals a lot more, and am a lifelong supporter of animal rights. I was not happy to hear about the monkey, and sadly this is not the first pet he's had that didn't meet with a happy ending. I'm hoping very much that he starts showing the respect, care and commitment to animals that he does to his fans, and that the people around him - even if it's only for PR purposes, so be it - step in.

13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Whatever JB hoped to get across, he did it incredibly poorly. To me, he sounds arrogant, self-centered, and ignorant -- whether he really is or not.

O-

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

We forgive you.

:p

15. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Does anyone think he even knew who Anne Frank was before he went to the museum?

16. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

There is a shallow culture strain among teenagers like never before. The lack of common sense blows my mind.
    It seems like the shallow are getting shallower. Society can pretty much tell them what to do as long as they're told it's cool. Which reminds me of the girls who were going to cut themselves if Bieber didn't stop smoking weed. That being said, I do know there are very smart kids out there who do know better. I'm not saying all teens are this way, just a lot of them.

17. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

18. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

deleted

19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I don't think that sounds dramatic at all. I would have been sharing tissues with you.

O-

20. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I didn't expect to get as emotional as I did. I think part of it is that you actually climb up a small and steep staircase to get up to the annex...and then I just lost it when I saw that wall. It was an experience I'll never forget. Then on my way to the bathroom..lol..I saw a display of Shelly Winters academy award for her role in the Diary of Anne Frank. She donated it to the museum. First and only time I've ever seen an academy award up close. Very cool! And lightened my mood. If anyone is ever in Amsterdam they should visit the museum - the wait was long..over an hour...but it was worth it.

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't see it as he's a bad person for not taking Anne Frank's story seriously, I just think he's an idiot. Who writes things like that on a sign in book? :huh: But I have a low threshold of tolerance for people who consistently make everything about themselves. And he managed make the Anne Frank museum about himself?? Wow, that's amazing. I guess when you are a celebrity it can be difficult to keep perspective (not impossible though).