"Just Between US Ladies": 2011-12 season news, views, score updates & more

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thread title courtesy of Vagabond. Men are allowed to post here too! ;)

CURRENT TOP TEN U.S. INTERNATIONAL SENIOR/JUNIOR LADIES SCORES
    177.48 Alissa Czisny - Skate America, 1st (SR)
    172.69 Gracie Gold - JGP Estonia, 1st (JR in US this season)
    167.46 Mirai Nagasu - Nebelhorn Trophy, 1st (SR); 151.72 - Skate Canada, 5th
    165.48 Ashley Wagner - Skate Canada, 3rd (SR)
    156.58 Vanessa Lam - JGP Austria, 1st (SR)
    153.84 Samantha Cesario - JGP Poland, 3rd (SR)
    151.91 Courtney Hicks - JGP Australia, 1st (SR) - out for the season due to injury :(
    146.74 Hannah Miller - JGP Italy, 3rd (JR)
    140.70 Caroline Zhang - Skate America, 6th (SR)
    139.70 Joelle Forte - Skate America, 8th (SR)

This week: Christina Gao makes her season debut at Cup of China, Mirai Nagasu skates her 2nd GP in 2 weeks in China, and Caroline Zhang competes at her first Senior B - Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (live free video stream available - Senior Ladies SP/FS is Friday/Saturday).

Reposting from the earlier thread:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I should have my head examined, but I find myself excited (again) over Ashley's prospects. Judging by SC, it looks like John Nicks really helped her clean up her jump landings which was her chief pitfall IMO and kept her from going up in the rankings. The 110.98 she received in the LP would've been several points higher had she done a 3-2-2, and it can go up even further with a 2x-3t which she's definitely capable of. Now, maybe she should focus on the 3loop, for now anyway as the solo jump in the SP and repeating that one in the LP. It's a good 'money jump' for her.

I hope her injured toe heals soon.

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^ITA.

I've never really been a fan of Ashley's but she's really looking like she wants it this year. More importantly, she's backing up her claims. You can see the influence of John Nicks on Ashley's skating. Very Sasha-like in her movements: extended, sustained, very elegant and lovely. Add that to her jumps and you have a great combination. :cool:

I really hope she continues to improve b/c IMO I think she's the strongest lady the US has. Alissa is gorgeous and everything, but she is still rather iffy when it comes to her jumps...just so happens she's getting the boost she needs from the judges to compensate for her technical shortcomings. :shuffle:

Obviously, Ashley and Alissa are looking like the two strongest but we still have Christina Gao and Agnes Zawadski. Christina has slowly been coming into her own and maturing, plus she has fabulous jumps. Agnes is in the same boat; a new coaching change and a 3-3 might be what she needs to get her some recognition. Both of these ladies are strong and have the potential to be podium threats...especially with Mirai and Rachael skating the way they've started out. :rolleyes:

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of Ashley, so I'm glad that she seems to be going on a good path this season :)

You know what kind of bugs me, that after 2 GPs, Gracie's score is still the overall 2nd highest int. score produced by US ladies, why is she competing in Jr at nationals?!?!?!?!? : can someone talk some sense into this girl? even if she wasnt in the medals, i'm pretty sure a trip to Jr. worlds would be easily handed to her, am I right? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, Wagner seems to be heading in the right direction...but just like doom-and-gloom over Nagasu, I think it is too soon in the season to start hyping up Wagner based only on what happened at SC...

However, she does seem like one of the few Americans who actually WANT it...Czisny's demonstrating it by going for harder jumps in her FS, and Wagner has said she "wants it" for a few years and is just now beginning to show it (you could see the improvement in her skating, less rushed, more refined, stronger jumping)

6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Yes the flutz is still there, but I like that Wagner checks out her jumps strongly now and sits on them. Of the 7 jumps she landed at Skate Canada (not counting the 3lutz she fell on), none were called under-rotated or 2 footed. :cheer: Now that's progress from even Glacier Falls. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Her programs used to be too hectic, now they are a bit too dull. I feel she could get into her programs more, and the Black Swan program is especially ordinary, but I like the spirit she projects.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

But scores aren't truly comparable across competitions. :p In any case, the last two U.S. Junior ladies champs (Zawadzki and Hicks) were selected for Junior Worlds after they convincingly won their respective Junior national titles.

8. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It is quite possible Gracie's coach actually has a development plan in place for her. Pushing someone ahead based on a single (or even a couple) of good skate(s) is, IMHO, not a great strategy. Taking things a bit slower and making sure all the building blocks are in place is a better way to make sure the skater has some longevity in the sport. I am thrilled that whoever is in charge is not succumbing to pressure to move Gracie up if she isn't ready.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

And remember that Gracie Gold didn't qualify in Junior for Nationals last year (she was 6th at Midwestern Sectionals, behind her training mate, Lexis Verhulst, who is a contendor in Junior this year) and so was fortunate to be given a JGP assignment this fall.

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I would hope if Gracie does well at Nationals and Junior Worlds that she goes Senior next year. It's nice to see a US lady who skates with power and has big jumps. Enough of the head cases who almost make you not want to watch them because you know they won't land their jumps.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I think that's a given no matter what happens the rest of this season (she turned 16 this past August). BTW, Gold's (jump) consistency in competition this season wasn't always the case -- she has worked to improve in this vital area.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  12. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the ladies short for COC!

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

14. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I would agree that it is too soon to tell anything from a competition in October. Nagasu has always had a slow start to the season and gets stronger as the season goes on, and Wagner has a history of starting out strong and fizzling out by US Nationals. It almost seems as if Wagner wants it so bad that when she gets to Nationals she tightens up and starts reverting back to the two footed landings and silly mistakes. Meanwhile, Nagasu has set expectations so low that by the time she gets to Nationals she's had a fire lit under her and expectations are such that she has an easier time dealing with the pressure. It will be interesting to see if the pattern continues.

15. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

A bit late to the party, but for the thread title (maybe for the next one?)….

With apologies to Tom Jones….

"They're all striving for 1st place, they've got style, they've got grace….US Ladies"

In Mirai news, it seems that she cracked the heel of one of her skates :( . Poor kid, she just can't catch a break so far this season.

16. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

:(

Hopefully this won't affect her too much..

17. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I know Mirai wants to do well here, but really Nationals is more important. It's better to get her nerves out now, it's a new program, maybe with how she has been doing this will show her she needs to work extra hard. I hope she just skates her best this time, does all her spins, and skates with energy.

18. smarts1

Nice job to Mirai for placing second in the SP right behind Carolina (and less than a point separating them)!

19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I think Nagasu should have been in the lead, but of course, Kostner with a hand down places above her. Makes it even more extraordinary that the SA judges didn't give Kostner the SA title...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Kostner did not fall.

21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Mirai looked much happier out there. That's a good sign for up-coming nationals.

22. RD

RD Well-Known Member

My bad, I meant to type hand down. Still a glaring error.

ETA: original post has been fixed

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  23. os168

os168 Active Member

Weird place to post Mirai stuff without her name in the thread title, but anyway here it goes.

Wow it is nice to see the Spirited away Mirai decide to come back with a vengeance!

- Mirai Confidence *checked*
    - No more rubbish mistakes *checked*
    - Mirai sassiness and swagger back *checked*
    - Remember to perform to the Audience / Judges *checked*
    - Most importantly: Listen to music and fit the choreography to it *checked*

What a difference a week makes!

It is still no quite a tango, but it is as close to Latin spirit from an US lady with some nice touches responding to the mood change in the music well.

Overall, an encouraging result with a so so program. Mirai did not do a 3:3, otherwise she'd easily beat Carolina. She need to upgrade her jump element if she want to be one of the leaders in this sport!

So excited but exasperated at the same time! Wonder how's she's going to do in her LP! Dreading it actually!

24. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I think she will do pretty well in the LP, she had that same look at 2010 Nationals SP scores.

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Again, the freeskate will be the test for Nagasu's confidence.

26. smarts1

OMG wth was Adelina wearing?!?!?!

27. icellist

icellist Member

ITA but this is the US ladies thread. Not the fugly costume or russian babies thread. OTOH, do we have a fugly costume thread yet?

28. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Mirai won't be doing a 3-3 combo until she gets in better shape. She's not in the best shape that she could be. She has to want to be the best and not going through the motions like she does sometimes on the ice. She also needs to sell her programs more she gets so intent on landing her jumps she sort of skates through the music not to the music.

29. smarts1

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's not a typo. Top 6 skaters/teams from Worlds can choose to compete in 3 GPs if they want. Alissa choose not to do 3, for example.

Caroline Zhang won in Graz, Austria today (152.72 total, 99.90 2nd in FS), skating her best FS in many years - jumps I saw on the live stream: 3F+2T, 3Lz (e) step out, 2A, 3Lo+2T, 3F, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 2A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.