Junior World Competitor one year, Olympian the next?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by B.Cooper, Mar 2, 2013.

1. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

With the conclusion of 2013 Junior Worlds in Milan, how often does it occur that a JW competitor qualifies for the Olympics the following year? Has a competitor who medals at JW ever medaled at the Olympics the subsequent year?

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Quite often, in countries with smaller fields.

Now that's a much smaller pool to draw on. I don't believe that has ever been done.

I can think of a handful who have won medals at Jr. Worlds and then won medals at Worlds the following year (Chen 1991/92, Szewczenko 1993/94, Kulik 1995/96, Yagudin 1996/97, Plushenko 1997/98) or the same year (Chen 1992). THere might be one or two more in the 30-some years of Jr. Worlds. Note that many of those world medals were won in post-Olympic Worlds, where some of the top skaters from that year's Olympics might be missing.

3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

2009 JW competitors at the 2010 Olympics: Brezina, Leonova, Amodio, Gedevanishivili, Hecken, Lafuente, Morand/Dorsaz.....

4. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

There are also Yuna and Mao in 2006/2007.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  5. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Kimmie and Emily both skated Jr worlds in 2005 right? And then made the Olympics in 2006.

6. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

This is such an interesting question that it made me think how many Olympic Medalists came from Jr. Worlds?

By the way, in anwer to your question, B.Cooper, no one to my knowledge has ever medalled at Jr. Worlds one year (since its inception in 1976) and subsequently went on to medal the next year at the Olympics. Oops, I'm talking about the M-E-N only. :) Its never been done before. Period (though Evgeni Plushenko won Jr. Worlds in 1997, but at age 15 he never got the chance to go to the 1998 Olympics the next year). :(

And in answer to *MY* question up above, since 1988 all Mens' Olympic Medalists had medalled at Jr. Worlds at least once:

1988 ~ GOLD Brian Boitano (1978 jr. bronze medalist), BRONZE Viktor Petrenko (1984 jr. gold medalist)

1992 ~ GOLD Viktor Petrenko (1984 jr. gold medalist), SILVER Paul Wylie (1981 jr. gold medalist)

1994 ~ GOLD Alexei Urmanov (1990 jr. silver medalist)

1998 ~ GOLD Ilia Kulik (1993 jr. bronze medalist & 1995 jr. gold medalist)

2002 ~ GOLD Alexei Yagudin (1996 jr. gold medalist), SILVER Evgeni Plushenko (1997 jr. gold medalist), BRONZE Timothy Goebel (1997 jr. silver medalist)

2006 ~ GOLD Evgeni Plushenko (1997 jr. gold medalist)

2010 ~ GOLD Evan Lysacek (2001, 2003, & 2004 jr. bronze medalist three times), SILVER Evgeni Plushenko (1997 jr. gold medalist), BRONZE Daisuke Takahashi (2002 jr. gold medalist)

Btw, only the Russian Men have won both jr. worlds and the olympics (Petrenko, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko). :smokin:

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Petrenko isn't Russian. :shuffle:

8. NadineWhite

Well he was when he won Jr. Worlds in 1984 (see here): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Junior_Figure_Skating_Championships :cool:

Btw, more interesting facts (about the American men only), leastways to me:

Mark Cockerell ~ 1976 jr. gold medalist; never medalled at the Olympics (13th in 1984)

Christopher Bowman ~ 1983 jr. gold medalist; ditto (7th in 1988 & 4th in 1992)

Rudy Galindo ~ 1987 jr. gold medalist, 1986 jr. silver medalist, 1985 jr. bronze medalist :hat1: ; never got the chance to skate at the Olympics, yet he did capture bronze at Big Worlds in 1996.

Todd Eldredge ~ 1988 jr. gold medalist, 1987 jr. silver medalist; never medalled at the Olympics (10th in 1992, 4th in 1998, 6th in 2002).

Michael Weiss ~ 1994 jr. gold medalist, 1993 jr. silver medalist; ditto (7th in both 1998 & 2002).

Johnny Weir ~ 2001 jr. gold medalist; ditto (5th in 2006 & 6th in 2010)

Matthew Savoie ~ 2000 jr. bronze medalist; ditto (7th in in 2006)

And the following American men never made it to the Olympics, despite medalling at jr. worlds:

Scott Williams (1982 jr. gold medalist & 1981 jr. bronze medalist)

Erik Larson (1985 jr. gold medalist)

Shepherd Clark (1989 jr. silver medalist)

Damon Allen (1992 jr. bronze medalist)

Jere Michael (1994 jr. bronze medalist)

Derrick Delmore (1998 jr. gold medalist)

Jordan Brauninger (2004 jr. bronze medalist)

Stephen Carriere (2007 jr. gold medalist)

Adam Rippon (2008 & 2009 jr. gold medalist both times) :smokin:

ONLY 3 American men have medalled at both Jr. Worlds and the Olympics:

Paul Wylie ~ 1981 jr. gold medalist & 1992 Olympic silver medalist

Timothy Goebel ~ 1997 jr. silver medalist & 2002 Olympic silver medalist

Evan Lysacek ~ 2001, 2003, 2004 jr. silver medalist three times & 2010 Olympic gold medalist :smokin:

9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Maybe this can be broken by the newly crowned Junior medalists?;) Their great showing has created a lot of excitement which is understandable.

10. NadineWhite

Anybody that knows me knows that I LOVE to see records broken, and that too would be a first, spikydurian, if any one of those men medalled at next year's Olympics. :kickass:

11. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

The reason I asked this question was to see if Jr Worlds is a good predictor or perhaps a better term or phrase....is it the first major international step to the Olympic podium, in any of the 4 disciplines. Maybe the better question or more interesting question is.....How often does it happen that an Olympic medalist has not come out of the Jr World podiums?

12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

But Leonova and Gedevanishvilly had been already competing at senior level. They went to junior worlds just as a warm up.

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Oh, I know. Technically correct, but certainly not in the spirit of the question. I'm pretty sure Brezina went to Euros the 08/09 season as well.

14. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, Stephane Lambiel's highest Junior Worlds finish was 5th & Jeffrey Buttle finished 7th at his only Junior Worlds in 2001 - so that's 2/3 of the men's 2006 Olympic medallists! Don't think Joannie Rochette ever medalled at JW either, Pang/Tong didn't, Robin Szolkowy never did, although he wasn't partnered with Savchenko at the time - so it doesn't seem to be that rare an occurrence.

15. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

That's a tough question - does that mean that the competitor had never even competed in Senior Nationals prior to the Olympic year?

The Meissner and Hughes example technically is correct, but both were at Senior US Nationals in 2005 (3rd and 6th)

16. Vagabond

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  17. NadineWhite

To me it's a matter of semantics, Vagabond, in regards to Viktor Petrenko. Whatever the case they ALL hail from the former Soviet Union, now called Russia. :cool: And only they (i.e. Petrenko, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko) have won both jr. worlds & the Olympics. Fact.

Anyhow, this has been an interesting thread for me, and a nice way to spend part of the weekend checking out old results and being impressed. :) Thanks for starting this thread, B.Cooper. :)^)

In the end ANYTHING can happen, I sincerely believe that, but it's nice to know that ALL Mens Olympic Gold Medalists have medalled at Jr. Worlds. Now as regards Olympic silver & bronze, that's another story, as seen by Orser, Barna, Stojko, Candeloro, Lambiel, Buttle.

Btw, need to correct an error in my original post, only TWICE has it happened that ALL Olympic Medalists had medalled at jr. worlds as well, that was in 2002 (Yagudin, Plushenko, Goebel) & 2010 (Lysacek, Plushenko, Takahashi).

One thing is almost a guarantee, and that is the next Mens Olympic Gold Medalist will have medalled at jr. worlds; we shall see...

18. Vagabond

Petrenko hailed from that part of the Soviet Union now called Ukraine. :hat1:

It's okay, NadineWhite. You established in a recent thread that facts and history don't factor into your opinions. To each his own. :)

19. NadineWhite

Like I said it's a matter of semantics, Vagabond, they ALL hail from the former Soviet Union, which is now called Russia. Fact. There's no disputing that.

Now do you have something to add to this thread, or just want to continue to bitch about me? ;) If so you can do so privately, I'll start the engine rolling.

Apologies to B.Cooper, et al, for derailing this thread, which I have enjoyed tremendously! :) *heart*

20. oliver

oliver New Member

Petrenko represented Russia (the Soviet Union) in 1984 at Jr. Worlds and represented Russia in 1988 at the Olympics where he received the bronze medal. In 1992 he represented the "Unified Team."

21. bek

bek Guest

The Soviet Union and Russia are in many ways two very different entities. You want to say Petrenko competited for Russia okay. But then you also have to say G/G competed for Ukraine in 1988.

22. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The former Soviet Union is not now called Russia. It is called:

1. Armenia
    2. Azerbaijan
    3. Belarus
    4. Estonia
    5. Georgia
    6. Kazakhstan
    7. Kyrgyzstan
    8. Latvia
    9. Lithuania
    10. Moldova
    11. Russia
    12. Tajikistan
    13. Turkmenistan
    14. Ukraine
    15. Uzbekistan

Do you really not realize how offensive/ignorant such a post can seem?

23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Repeating an incorrect statement does not change it into a fact. Russia was the biggest state in the Soviet Union, but far from the only one. SU included republics that were annexed after WWII (some less willingly than others). Take a look at this link to see all the other former republics that were part of the Soviet Union, but are not definitely *not* called Russia.

http://www.allrussias.com/images/bullets-Soviet_Union_Administrative_Divisions_1989.jpg

24. bek

bek Guest

Well in fairness the Russians DID inherit the Soviet Union's debt. None of the other nations did. So in many ways it is the heir. And the Russians do get the blame for all of the bad things that happened by the Soviet. But the Soviets tried hard to suggest you could be a good Ukrainian Soviet etc. Besides didn't the athletes all represent their particular Republics in different inter Soviet competitions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

73% of those countries as far as figure skating is concerned represent Russia.

26. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

My friends from the Ukraine would beg to differ.

27. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Yes, as others have pointed out, there IS disputing that fact, you obnoxious ignorant tool. Repeating a factually incorrect statement repeatedly and then telling someone who is actually correct that it is "a matter of semantics" is total horsesh*t. Not that anything better is to be expected from you, and oh, I'm sure you "started the ball rolling". But here's an idea; why not check a map, an atlas, google, hell, even wikipedia, before spouting off such totally stupid nonsense?

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  28. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

This left me curious so I searched through the last 4 olympics for Ladies and Men. There has been quite a few actually and some had even better results at the Olympics than at Jr. Worlds:

NAGANO
    Country Name JW97 OG98

AUS JOANNE CARTER 16th - 12th
    AUT JULIA LAUTOWA 6th - 14th
    JPN SHIZUKA ARAKWA 8th - 13th
    RSA SHIRENE HUMAN 26th - 24th
    RUS ELENA SOKOLOVA 2nd - 7th
    BUL IVAN DINEV 11th - 11th
    CHN ZHENGXIN GUO 3rd - 8th
    JPN YAMATO TAMURA 7th - 17th
    KAZ YURI LITVINOV 22nd - 28th
    KOR KYU_HYUN LEE 8th -24th
    SVK ROBERT KAZIMIR 18th - 26th

SALT LAKE
    Country Name JW01 OG02

AUS STEPHANIE ZHANG 12th - 25th
    ROU ROXANA LUCA 22nd - 23rd
    BEL KEVIN VAN DER PERREN 16th - 12th
    SUI STEPHANE LAMBIEL 5th - 15th

TORINO
    Country Name JW05 OG06

CAN MIRA LEUNG 8th - 12th
    EST ELENA GLEBOVA 20th - 28th
    FIN KIIRA KORPI 10th - 16th
    GEO ELENE GEDEVANISHVILI 5th - 10th
    USA EMILY HUGHES 3rd - 7th
    USA KIMMIE MEISSNER 4th - 6th
    AUT VIKTOR PFIFER 12th - 22nd

VANCOUVER
    Country Name JW09 OG10

AUT MIRIAM ZIEGLER 14th - 26th
    GER SARAH HECKEN 7th - 18th
    GEO ELENE GEDEVANISHVILI 6th - 14th
    KOR MIN-JUNG KWAK 22nd - 13th
    RUS ALENA LEONOVA 1st - 9th
    SVK IVANA REITMAYEROVA 8th - 28th
    CZE MICHAL BREZINA 2nd - 10th
    FRA FLORENT AMODIO 15th - 12th
    KAZ DENIS TEN 4th - 11th

As a curious note Gedevanishvili is the only skater who have achieved this TWICE.

29. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

30. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

It's so weird that Gedevanishvili competed at Jr Worlds the year before the Olympics - TWICE!