Junior Seau, former NFL linebacker, dies of apparent suicide

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jenny12, May 3, 2012.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

2. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

beyond sad, so sad for his family and friends.

3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I gasped when I saw the headline for this earlier today. :fragile: Huge loss for the entire NFL community. Amazing, 12-time Pro Bowler, future first-ballot HOF lineback, but more importantly a great guy. Amazing work ethic, friendly to all, very active in his charitable work and in his community.

So painfully reminiscent of David Duerson's death last year, even down to the method (gunshot wound to the chest). I would not be surprised if concussions sustained during Junior's 20-year NFL career contributed to the suicide.

Junior actually survived a 100-foot drop when his car went off a cliff in 2010. He said he fell asleep at the wheel, but many thought then - and even more so now - that it was a suicide attempt.

Junior leaves behind a big family, including three children. I saw his mom on TV a few minutes ago, she was sobbing "Take me! Leave my son alone." My heart goes out to his entire family. :(

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Great player and person. RIP Junior.

5. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Wow, I never heard about that incident with his car. Anyways, this is so sad. RIP Junior Seau. My prayers go out to his family

I wouldn't be surprised if the hits to the head he took contributed to his suicide, but I'm going to wait to hear more details before I jump to that conclusion.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

A suicide must be more tragic than other ways of dying prematurely. It leaves the survivors with a lot of questions and guilt. I am sorry to hear of Junior Seau's suicide. I wonder if there was a note of explanation or a phone conversation prior to this?

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

No note. His ex-wife says he texted her and his three kids the day prior, saying simply "I love you" (source)

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this and doubly sorry for his mother and can't imagine what she and his kids must be feeling. Hope he rests in peace.

9. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

He was 43 years old. Far too young. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace from the personal demons that drove him to this.

NJL

10. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

This is so very, very sad. His mother addressing the press was heart-wrenching to watch.

11. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:( So sad. Junior was one of the few seemingly all-around adored athletes.

Startling bit of data:
    Wow, I hate speaking in :drama: dramatik cliches, but ""cursed" seems to be the best word to describe this ... so many early, sometimes random, demises.

12. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

^ I saw that statistic too and was floored. Too sad and weird.

13. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I've heard of several NFL player's brains being donated to research. They are finding some interesting data.

Seau's Brain to Researchers

14. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

While suicide happens for all sorts of reasons, I do wonder whether the brain trauma inflicted from all those years in football played a role. There was a local football player who also committed suicide. He had a brutal history of concussions.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Junior Seau will be missed.
    I hope that the donation of his brain for study will lead to more knowledge about - and better treatments for - head injuries to athletes.

My sympathy to his family and friends.
    May he rest in peace.