June 19th, 2010 ~ The Swedish Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 13, 2010.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's wonderful to see a Royal couple displaying genuine emotion.
    That is one of the loveliest dresses I've seen, also; regal, yet modern.

2. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

He looks like fighting tears (of happiness). Lovely couple.

3. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Now I could really go for a plate of Rose Nylund's genurfenkirchen cake and sperhoeven krispies.

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Whoa, its like a Richard Marx concert in church all of a sudden.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

omg.....I can't take much more.......

:tearsweldingup:

6. skatesindreams

Who are the simgers?

7. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Perfect wedding. Regal and sophisticated, just enough royal bling to make it glam but not gaudy.

Because really, seeing them schlep out the jewels and other fab historical stuff is part of the reason to keep them around.

Excellent orchestra and chorus as well, bravo.

8. skatesindreams

The couple look wonderful, and so happy!

9. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Did they forget where they parked the coach?

10. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Perfect wedding. The bride and groom are radiant. Their joy is palpable. A living fairy tale.

And now a horse parade and carriage tour. This is just tooooo much. :swoon:

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

They're adorable together, you can just see the happiness on their faces.

Best of luck, kids! :cheer2:

12. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Darn, I forgot about this. I tuned in just in time to see them emerge from the church and get into the coach.

Will it be archived on the SVT site for non Nordic viewers?

13. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Im inclined to think that it will be, late last night (or early this morning in Stockholm) you could still watch the footage of the concert with no problem. :)

14. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I wonder how long those security guards trained their 5K? I do not envy them having to run by the carriage the entire route.

15. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Stockholm looks lovely! :cheer2:

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  16. LadyNit

and now a boat? what a trip!

17. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Looks like the SVT site will be the only place you can find coverage. Major news agencies are boycotting because Swedish national tv was placing restrictions on video coverage?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  18. skatesindreams

Since Stockholm is a series of islands, it really is the best way for the most people to see them.
    I miss the city so much.

19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I came late to the party but was in time to see the "Ja's" and the exchange of rings. Loved his wiping away a tear and her winking at him. :)

I don't know how large the Swedish military is but every single one of them must have been on the streets of Stockholm today.

20. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

They just sang the national anthem, what a nice moment. :)

21. LadyNit

LOL. She can't keep her hands off him.

22. nerdycool

Fashion awards of the female guests. There were some interesting gowns, though to me, many were underwhelming or a little off. All my opinion, of course. Here's a gallery of pictures. I would link directly to individual pictures, but I don't think I'm able to.

Best dressed: Queen Margarethe of Denmark. She always has interesting gowns in interesting colors, some which work, some which don't. Today's did. The color was lovely, and the cut was very flattering.

Honorable mention: Princess Madeleine. Nice color and shape. Not a huge fan of all the ruffles, but she managed to pull it off.

Biggest WTF were you thinking?: Infanta Elena of Spain. She would move drastically up my list if she would take off her bedazzled bolero and whatever that is in her hair. I just have no words.

Co-Honorable mention: Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. The huge ruffles around the neck is was did her in. The sparkly dark red dress was nice otherwise.

Co-Honorable mention: Queen Sonja of Norway. The enormous pleated cape/bat wings ruined what otherwise is a lovely dress.

Most disappointing: Queen Rania of Jordan. Her dress was fabulous, and she's easily one of the most stunning women in the world. But when she has access to beautiful jewelry, why would she wear only a small tiara and almost nothing else when everyone else is decked out? I guess I expected more from her.

Best Flashback of Another Era: Queen Anne Marie of Greece. The hair and dress take me back to the 80's. She didn't look bad, but just a little out of place.

Nice try: Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. The color and cut were nice, but the lace part of the dress just looked bad from a distance.

Co-Would be better in a different color: Crown Princess Letizia of Spain. In some pictures, it looked light light pink. In others, it looked nude. Either way, I didn't like her dress that light.

Co-Would be better in a different color: Crown Princess Maxima of the Netherlands. I don't think she has the right coloring to wear steel gray and beige. Stunning otherwise.

23. milanessa

Ooooh, I disagree. i thought she did it just right.

24. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

More pics

My biggest WTF outfit is Mabel's (#17). A royal wedding really is not the place to try and look edgy (um, I guess that was what she was going for). Friso looks disgusted.

I thought Charlene Wittstock looked great and outglammed many of the royals.

25. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I should've guessed there was a thread also for this on FSU :lol: even though I didn't notice it until now.

Really enjoyed it! :cheer: We were having a 'wedding studio and dinner thingy' just for this with a bunch of friends. :cheer2: Seeing the royalty is always :watch: and both Princess Victoria and his groom looked lovely and very much in love, awww. :) :40beers:

26. milanessa

That is one ugly outfit.

27. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Go girl! :cheer2:

Sophie Wessex
    Margrethe of Denmark
    Anne-Marie of Greece
    Maxima of the Netherlands
    Madeleine of Sweden
    Martha-Louise of Norway
    Mathilde of Belgium
    Tatiana of Greece
    Sophia of Spain

Oh, girl! :yikes:

Elena of Spain (just the bolero, the gown itself was lovely)

Laurentien of the Netherlands (too much black/white vs. criss-cross, she looked like a walking Mondrian painting)

Letizia of Spain & Mary of Denmark (both washed out, the latter with a tit-screpancy with the lace, it was askew)

Beatrix of the Netherlands (I am almost sure she's worn that thing before)

Rania of Jordan (Dammit, what a waste! Sloppy asymmetrical and sloppy hair, not enough bling)

Sonia of Norway (doesn't she usually f*ck up her gowns with some sort of cape?)

Mette-Marit of Norway (too similar to last night's gown, except that was in "LIFE" game piece pink and this one was in "LIFE" game piece blue)

Mabel of Netherlands (Oh, GIRL! :()

The bride herself was beyond words, picture perfect in every way! :swoon:

28. milanessa

Long wait for the next course. That may be good since they'll probably cut away when it's served and we'll get the miniature golf course gang again. :lol:

29. nerdycool

Oh dear. There's the worst dressed for sure. Somehow missed her the first time around.

30. milanessa

I should have been on my way to the grocery store 2 hours ago but I can't stop watching. :lol: