June 19th, 2010 ~ The Swedish Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 13, 2010.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Okay...So I know it's a week early, but when better to start this thread!?! At least that's IMO... :D

Not only will this be the wedding of the Heir to the Throne, HRH Crown Princess Victoria, but it's been announced that the dress for the Wedding will be White Tie/Uniform for the Men and Formal for the Women. So...What does that mean exactly?

Major BLING!!! This will be a full on Tiara, major Royal Jewelry and Orders Event for the Ladies attending. Now, considering this is the Wedding of the Heir to the Swedish Throne, there is going to be a major European Royal Presence in that Cathedral in Stockholm a week from today.

I also learned last night a special connection to the Dutch Royals. HM Queen Beatrix is the Godmother of Princess Victoria. Victoria, in turn, is the Godmother of HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia, eldest daughter of TRH The Crown Prince and Princess of the Netherlands, and she will be one of the members of her Godmother's Bridal Party. I can't wait to see her, as it's been awhile since I have seen pictures of the three little Princesses of the Netherlands.

W/the exception of the middle of the three, who's name I'm blanking on at the moment, w/Mommy and Daddy at the Richmond Oval in February at the Olympics. Other than those pictures, I really haven't seen pictures of the girls in a long time.

Anyway...Going from memory here....We'll have...

Sweden ~ HM Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine (obviously)
    The Netherlands ~ HM Queen Beatrix, Crown Princess Maxima, Princess Mabel, Princess Laurentien
    Spain ~ HM Queen Sofia, Crown Princess Letiztia, Infanta Elena, Infanta Cristina
    Norway ~ HM Queen Sonia, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Martha Louise
    Britain ~ Sophie, Countess of Wessex, maybe also Camilla, but I've been hearing different things about her being there. Sophie will be there w/Edward though.
    Belgium ~ HM Queen Paola, Crown Princess Mathilde, Princess Claire
    Denmark ~ HM Queen Margerthe, Crown Princess Mary, Princess Marie

And there's more besides that, but as I said, I was going from memory up there. I know that the sisters of both the Queens of Denmark and The Netherlands are also attending, along w/their daughters, but I'm blanking on their names.

So as you can see just from that incomplete listing, we're in for quite a showing of Royal Jewels and dresses next Saturday. Not to mention what the Star of the Day, Crown Princess Victoria, will be wearing.

A nice romantic touch and tribute...Victoria and her future husband Daniel Westling are getting married on what is also her Parents Wedding Anniversary. I thought that rather sweet when I heard of it the first time.

I'm really hoping this will be shown on one of the French networks here in Canada. I've since learned at the Royalty MB I belong to, that sometimes one of the Quebec Networks will show an European Royal Wedding, so fingers crossed they decide to do that next Saturday.

Anyway...I know I'm not the only one here at FSU who is interested in the Royals, so thought if I started the thread a week early, those of you who are interested will know to keep your eyes and ears open next weekend. :)

Is it obvious I'm really excited about this? :D

2. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

So senior members of the British Royal family are not attending?

3. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Queen Elizabeth rarely goes to such functions anymore. Usually she sends one of her sons. This year, it just so happens that the wedding falls during a busy week for the British royals. The Royal Ascot races are going on, which is a huge deal in Britain, and to which the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh almost always go. I'm not sure what the Prince of Wales' schedule is, but maybe if Camilla is going, he will, too? But I have heard that Princes William and Harry are to be in South Africa for the World Cup.

4. AragornElessar

Prince Edward and Sophie are pretty Senior, as he is the Queen's son and Sophie her daughter in law. Charles was invited, but he's been told by doctors to take time off due to a chest infection he's been battling, so it's up in the air if he and Camilla will be there or not.

Plus, as someone on the Royalty MB I'm on also pointed out, next weekend's also Garter Ceremony Saturday. Since being in the same place twice is next to impossible...

Still, it is a shame that it's Sophie and Edward who are usually the representives of the British Royals at Major Events. The "reason" for William not going was because he didn't know Victoria that well and hadn't been invited. Plus, he's going to be in South Africa at the World Cup in his capacity of President of The English Football Assoc.

Regardless, it is too bad the younger British Royals haven't gotten to know their European cousins better. Especially since whenever William gets married, all of the European Royal Houses will be invited to *his* Wedding and I'm guessing they will show up for it.

This time I can understand, as it is a pretty big sked conflict. If he wasn't in SA, then William would have been at the Garter Ceremony as a Knight of the Garter, so no way for him to be in Stockholm. Still...It is too bad that for some reason the British Royals just don't seem to attend major family events for the other Royal Families in Europe the way the rest of them do. It's always one representive/couple. Whereas the other families usually attend en masse.

Oh well... :(

Up there on that list, I forgot HM Queen Rania of Jordan, the Greek Royal Ladies and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa of Luxembourg.

Here's hoping for a beautiful clear day next Saturday so all of the highlights of the Day can be shown at it's best. :)

5. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

wheeee, Aussie presence! Queen Princess Mary gets to glam up! :cheer2: I love Royal Weddings.

6. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I will be glued to the tv next Saturday! I have met Victoria and her parents once, when they were dining at the Finnish President´s castle. Victoria is very beautiful in a subdued way. I am really looking forward to see her wedding dress and the bling-bling of all the other royals.

I feel sorry for Princess Madeleine of Sweden. She separated from her long-time boyfriend in April, because he had cheated her. It was a huge scandal in Sweden, and now every one is curious how she will survive the wedding.

7. AragornElessar

I know Finnice. It's not going to be an easy week for Madeleine at all and my heart goes out to her.

8. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this will be on US television? If yes, channel?
    It would be cool to watch. Thanks.

9. nerdycool

According to this article, it will be streamed online at SVT Play... but has regional restrictions. It mentions a few other places that hold rights to it, including CNN for the US. It doesn't say whether CNN will show it live, but did say that they'd show highlights. My guess is that since it will be during the morning news (9:30 AM EST), they won't show it live. But I can hope...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

This website says it won't be geoblocked.

http://www.swedenabroad.com/Page____104630.aspx

http://svtplay.se/

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Cheers, a Royal Wedding! :cheer2:

12. Civic

Civic New Member

Will Prince Edward be the only male guest? Do the males in the various European royal families attend these affairs?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  13. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link/website.

14. nerdycool

No, Edward won't be the only male guest. As far as the male guests invited, Edward would actually be quite low in the ranks if going by title alone. But since he and Sophie will be representing Queen Elizabeth, it doesn't really matter.

Kings, queens, princes and princesses from all over Europe and a few from Asia/Middle East will be attending, which is why royalty watchers salivate when a huge event like this comes around. Here is a site that has a pretty good run down of who is on the invite list. Link

15. Civic

Civic New Member

Thanks for the info. The link article attended an interesting tidbit of gossip: Prince Hamzah (youngest brother of the King of Jordan) and his wife, Princess Noor, are getting a divorce. Sad to hear it but not surprised given the rumors I've read about Prince Hamzah.

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

More infornation from the svt Royal Wedding page:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  17. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Sweden's been swamped with wedding stuff for months now - it's all over the telly and the papers, and if anything can have even the vaguest wedding reference tacked on to it, it's gotten it. Although personally I feel like the only ones that really care about this whole brouhaha are the media, five year olds, ninety-five year olds, and my mama. :p

I'm not a republican by any means, but I think I'll be staying out of Stockholm on saturday, and the telly will be firmly stuck on the World Cup. ;)

18. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

*BUMP!*

Royal Wedding! :cheer2:

I for one am looking forward to some glam Nordic fabulousness!

I just wish she wouldn't wear that godawful hideous cameo tiara that her mother wore. But articles have said its tradition, so oh well!

She's so pretty, I'm sure she'll make a lovely bride no matter what. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  19. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

And you're not going to derail the thread and tell us about the rumors you've heard? :shuffle:

I agree. I think that is one tradition she could do without. The Swedish royals have so many other beautiful tiaras and then they wear that one? It's disappointing, but hopefully the other attendees will make up for it since it is a Tiara event.

20. Civic

Civic New Member

That can wait until after the wedding.;) Best wishes to the Swedish princess and her fiance.

21. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Aw, they're cute. :) I'll even give her a pass on the one-shoulder dress. (I'm sure she'd be just thrilled to know that! :D )

23. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

He is so dorky cute. ;)

Time to dish on the concert gowns:

Victoria looks gorgeous, if a little too Charlize-Theron-gives-out-Best-Cinematography-at-the-Oscars. She looks relaxed and happy and thats a good thing for a bride. :)

Mette-Marit, oh dear, cotton candy pink? Love the Carole Lombard hair, though.

Mary looks fab, second only to Victoria in uber-glam.

Mathilde in hot bubble gum pink! Black sash cuts her in 1/2. When did hubby get so grey?

Maxima went the Scarlett O'Hara route and made her dress out of the drapes in the Het Loo rumpus room.

I can't look at a pic of the Infantas without thinking of the line about them in "Ab Fab" :rofl:

Sweden has sort of a foxy Prime Minister and he's got a lovely wife, great color on her.

Margrethe and Beatrix, you go ladies, you look like the queens that you are! Work! *snap snap snap*

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  24. AragornElessar

I actually like The Cameo Tiara, as it's just so very different and I also adore Cameos. I have a very small collection of them, but would love to be able to add that piece, along w/the matching necklace to my personal Jewelry Box any day and any time. :D

My personal favourite of the Tiaras that Victoria's been seen wearing over the years though is the Amethyst Tiara. Both the colour and the design just really suit her IMO.

Tonight's the Gala Concert, so there should be some great pictures out and about there online right now from that. It was black tie IIRC.

Only a few more hours!!! I can't wait!!! :D

25. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Looks like Madeleine wore white....or maybe it was very soft pink......a soft grey? The pix are ambiguous re: color but she looks absolutely stunning.

She was on the arm of her brother, poor thing, this event must be rough on her. :( Thank goodness she has that handsome bro to lean on. :)

26. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

White, I think. Is it just me, or does she look a bit like Caroline Kennedy? Maybe it's the hairdo.

28. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

:swoon: So much pretty. The bride looks so happy in all her pictures. And the crown prince of Sweden is movie-star handsome in that photo that Fergus linked to.

I thought I'd sleep in Saturday am, but I just might have to get up to watch this event.

29. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

30. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member