Jumps with forward landing

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ice dance, May 26, 2010.

1. ice dance

ice dance Member

Are there any jumps which land facing forwards? I imagine it would be hard to get your weight balanced right to avoid tripping on the toe pick, but surely people have experimented with doing them?

2. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

Nope, I have never heard of anyone experimenting with that. Seems it would be very hard to get that timing down after years of jumping "normal"

3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

They sure have. Gary beacom had a great pro number where all the jumps were landed forward. Tenaly Albright also used to perform some jumps where she landed forward in her amature performances.

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Low-level goofballs like myself do half flips and half lutzes, which land facing forward. Bunny hops, too :) I remember seeing Gary Beacom do a pro program where he landed a series of forward single axel-type jumps--but only one rev--that landed forward. . .will have to look around for it.

5. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Reformed Manspreader

Sure, any "triple" jump ever done by Sarah Hughes :p

jamesy, sk9tingfan, bardtoob and 3 others like this.
  6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:rofl:

7. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Peggy Fleming routinely did a 1 1/2 flip in a sequence with a single axel. It was very beautiful. She did it in her pro Pachelbel's Canon routine, AFAIR.

8. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Yes, when a skater screws up!

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Anyway, I don't think that a true forward landing is possible on a triple jump, with the toe pick, it would be too dangerous !

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'm copying over most of the content of a post I made in the Inventing a New Jump thread last fall, in case it has already or soon will go to archives where nonsupporters can't access it.

Half-revolution jumps from backward takeoffs are typically landed on the toepick of one foot and pushing onto an inside, or less commonly outside, edge of the other foot. Just look at a regular split jump for an example.

Axel takeoffs with one revolution can be landed forward the same way, as connecting moves. This can be called a half-axel or bell jump.

That can also be done with inside axel takeoffs -- see the RFI-to-RFI connecting hops at 4:36 in the middle of the jump sequence, leading into the triple toe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieGvGdfyeo

Very rare one-revolution forward-takeoff (axel-type) jumps landing on the same edge as takeoff, in both directions, at 3:36:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngCbGaf1bM

At least as far back as Cecilia Colledge or Megan Taylor in the 1930s and up through the 1960s-early 70s, as far as I can tell, it used to be pretty common to use 1.5 jumps from backward takeoffs, often in sequence with half and complete double jumps of the same takeoff.

Again, these would be landed on one toepick pushing onto an edge on the other foot.

Under the current rules it would be inadvisable to use those 1.5 jumps because they'd be called as downgraded doubles (earn the same base value as a regular single jump) and fill up jump boxes, and you'd have to make it really really clear that you did it on purpose and didn't just underrotate and two-foot a double jump attempt for judges to consider giving better than -3 GOE.

Here's a program with several examples of what we've talked
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieGvGdfyeo
    Half-axel at 0:56
    Mazurka (half toe loop), 1.5 toe loop, double toe sequence starting at 1:09

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Robin Cousins used to do a beautiful 1 1/2 flip.

12. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

The only forward landing jumps I know of are 1/2 and 1 1/2 flips and lutzes, split jumps, and a cherry flip which is like an axel but with 1 turn instead of 1 1/2.

I'd imagine that trying to land forward on a double or triple would just cause you to do a face plant because of the intense rotation speed.

13. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Haha, that's what I first thought. :lol: Good one.

14. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

cherry flip we call toe loop here in the UK. It is landed backwards.

16. silverstars

silverstars New Member

Well, there's the bunny hop...

17. aster

aster Member

I would call that a bell jump. I've never heard the term cherry flip before!

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Oh, and twizzles, the real kind, done on a straight working leg, covering an equal amount of distance on each turn, covering distance :inavoid:

19. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

20. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

My old coach called it a cherry flip but I've also heard bell jump. Maybe she was wrong?

21. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

22. Margot

Margot New Member

Thanks for that link. Gary Beacom had amazing control and originality. I really miss that type of professional skating.