Jump higher

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Hedwig, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I recenlty started to jump but my jumps are very tiny.

do you have any suggestions how to train to make them bigger? Any exercises on or off ice that helped you?
    Or anything else?

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It may be that you don't feel stable enough, so you don't bend enough and then don't push off enough to go up. I don't think you need to think about any special exercises. The more you practice the jumps, the more stable you will feel and the more you will dare to push off and actually jump up. Speed will also help, but you can add speed when you are comfortable with it.

3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Concentrate on jumping up into the jump first before rotating. People are often too worried about getting the rotation, especially when they're learning doubles, that they will contract their arms and legs and scrunch up their bodies as soon as they're a few millimeter off the ice that it ruins any chance to achieve good height on the jump.

Practice half flip and half lutz to get the feeling of vaulting your body up into the air.

4. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Height in jumps comes from deep knee & ankle bend right before takeoff, followed by pointing the toes of your takeoff foot as you take off. It is impossible to jump flat-footed, so even "edge jumps" actually take off from the toepick. Look for the deep bend followed by toe point in this slow motion video of a triple axel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtzeMbDZ2tY&feature=related

5. Hedwig

Thanks for all the tipps, guys!

I have never done a half flip or a half lutz. I sort of learned flip and lutz already. Is it just the same beginning movement and then land forwards instead of doing the whole rotation?

6. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Yup, that is what a half flip and lutz is, same motion on takeoff, but you land forwards on the same toe you took off of.

7. Hedwig

So I land on one foot only? That sounds somehow scary when landing forwards.

I saw a youtube-video just now but it was very hard to grasp the motion and I don't have a coach so I have to rely on all of you. ;)

Thanks!!

8. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

You can also practice without rotating. Just practice the take off jump up as high and straight as you can and land without rotating. That way you get the feel for taking of and landing from a higher height.

I'm not comfortable landing forwards either. My coach has me breaking down my axel by landing forwards on 2feet with knees bent and with my arms checked(right arm in front and left behind). Apparently it's supposed to make axels more comfortable because you have the feeling of where your body should be in the air. I don't know that it's helping but I'm doing as I'm told! That said I have done no jumps in 2 weeks now :( Today I completely wiped out on a field move and was more than a little shaken!

9. Hedwig

Thanks. I will try that when I am allowed back on the ice. (just labouring a inflammated tendon)
    The coach in France at our skating camp told us the same about the axel. We were doing rotations and landing forwards as well but were told to be careful to land bend forward and with our elbows then quickly over the knees.
    Somehow that wasn't scary to me. Weird, because you are right, it is the same principle.
    The next step- we were told - would be then to land forward but just on one foot and then rotate on the ice on that foot.

10. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Yeah apparently that's the way most people teach it now but I skipped steps because I've had an axel before. I learnt the 3 jump backspin method and had it drilled into me that you NEVER landed on 2 feet so it's a bit alien to me.

Hope you injury gets better soon! I've just discovered a huge green and purple bruise on my elbow from this afternoon-now I've seen it, it's suddenly sore! :lol:

ETA: A slightly more extreme method but my old coach used to put weights around our ankles so you had to work harder to achieve the same jump. Then when you take them off, in theory you should beable to jump higher but if you aren't that comfortable with jumping yet this probably isn't the way to go.

11. LLOS

LLOS New Member

I have the same problem, Toeloop and Salchow is easy for me but I don't get any hight, I always think because I'm not an athlete=not having supporting muscles so it will be never higher as that. I didn't ask my coach about it yet because last season I was just bothering to master the jumps at all :lol:

Here you see them after the spins...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awg78a9tOC0

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Those jumps look fine for your current skating level. You're definitely getting off the ice and maintaining flow on the landings.

No real need to worry about making them higher, until and unless you ever get to the point of trying doubles. Meanwhile, as your basic skating skill and confidence improve, you'll be able to skate into them even faster and they'll get bigger on their own anyway.

Do you do toe loop combinations?

13. LLOS

LLOS New Member

Thanks for looking at my video. Great to hear the hight is ok, so I don't need really to worry about it. I don't plan to do doubles, I don't think I'm ever able to do that.

Yes, I can do toeloop combination but never really practiced it, it's already awhile ago I did it last time...

14. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

One exercise I was told:

Facing a bench, step up with one foot, so that you're momentarily "standing" up high on the bench on one foot, then jump backwards off the bench, with your back straight, and land in the proper skating landing position. I would imagine this makes you work on knee bend, not being afraid of height, keeping your axis right, and builds up your leg muscles.

Actually, I was told that this was an old Russian technique by a very established skating person (that happens to be on this board).