Julliard Releases Banned Repertoire List

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Wyliefan, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Okay, not really. But wouldn't be a hoot if it were true? (And if figure skating did the same thing? :D )

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

No. Freedom is a good thing.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think there should be a list for figure skating and if you want to skate a program to a song on that list you must present it to a panel pre-season for approval. :lol:

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

"In preparation for the Ban’s enforcement, Juilliard officials have put all security personnel through a series of rigorous ear-training and music-appreciation courses, so that they may patrol the fourth floor listening for prohibited music coming from the practice rooms."

:rofl:

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

ROFL....yeah, actually (though I'm surprised the flutist ban list makes no mention of Telemann for the pre-college...isn't he obligatory?

6. Wyliefan

I'm just glad it was the Appassionata and not the Pathetique, or I'd be constantly getting in trouble for contraband Beethoven.

Look at the note they had to add at the beginning. I can't believe so many people took the thing seriously. :lol:

7. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That would be funny, except for the stories I've heard of them expelling students in the past, who were caught practicing other "primitive" forms of music, like' jazz. Sad, considering that forms like improvisational jazz (you have to be able to improvise in every key) and some bluegrass (ever hear Flatt & Scrugs' "Orangeblossom Special"?) are just as hard to play as "classical" music.

I know a few people who play "traditional acoustic" music who started out as "classically trained" musicians, including one who, yes, graduated from Juilliard. There's a reason they've chosen to play for contra dance bands performing at folk festivals instead of in concert halls where the audience sits in stuffed-shirt silence. ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  8. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I was perplexed at the clarinet choices myself. Fantasiestucke? Really? Instead of, say, the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, or either of the Brahms Sonatas?

9. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

When "in the past"?

Which is what?

10. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

It's a bit pleonastic to say "in the past." Surely everything that's happened has happened in the past ;)

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I sent this to a friend who went to Juilliard, and it was the first thing to cheer him up in months.

Thank you so much for posting this, Wyliefan :)

12. Wyliefan

Aww, I'm really glad he enjoyed it! You're very welcome! Best wishes to your friend.